Your definition of CAN

Traitor217

The rude behavior to the OP aside, this does raise a very good question which deserves a deeper look. I think it's obvious the terminology has been used in hyperbole so frequently around here that it could scarcely be recognized by it's original intention. The term Can actually has it's roots in boxing, there is an entire hierarchy of terms for boxers; can, journeyman, gatekeeper, contender - all designed to distinguish where on the career path they had reached. A contender obviously is someone who's potentially in line for a shot, in the broader sense of the term, this would typically extend to the entire top 15 fighters in a weight class. Gatekeepers were usually contenders who had fallen from grace, or rising prospects who hadn't been truly tested yet. Journeyman was someone who was a professional, had some good technique, but they were never going to amount to anything of a truly respectable level. And can (short for tomato can) was someone who was just put in the ring to bleed. Genuinely, that is the original intention of that word, someone who so obviously lacked in skill or physicality the only way they could make a contribution to the sport was to stand there and take a beating until tomato juice (blood) cam pouring out.

Here's the catch, if we use proper phraseology, there hasn't been a can in the UFC since before Zuffa bought it back before UFC30, and considering most fans of MMA have only been exposed to UFC (or Pride, Strikeforce, Ballator, etc.) the odds are many might have never seen a can fight in their life. Once you have reached the level of fighting in the UFC (or any of the other aforementioned national or global fighting organizations) you would by all rights be considered a gatekeeper. However, as I mentioned, perspective becomes skewed when you only look at a very narrow section of the sport. When people here talk about how good or bad a fighter is, they aren't comparing him (or her) to every fighter around the world. Usually it's a comparison of only the fighters in the UFC at that point in time.

You see, unlike boxing which has several top promotions and countless smaller ones, the UFC by most measures is the only game in town. Fighters are signed up (and sometimes achieve Championship level success) in under 10 fights. That would never, ever happen in boxing. No one would even look at a boxer as anything that resembled a contender until they had at least 20 or so professional WINS, not just bouts, but wins (noted exceptions; former Olympic champions with sterling amateur records). In MMA, 20 wins over a career might take you towards the end of your professional timeline.

So for someone like me, hearing the word can thrown around can be difficult, because I know and appreciate where it's origins are. But in a sport like MMA, where the UFC so dominates the entire market, you can't get upset at people beginning to describe obviously talented fighters as cans, because of the limitation of perspective. If we only judge and assess the skills of UFC fighters, those at the bottom of the barrel would default to can status. It's hard to put an exact figure on it, but let's assume if you are in the bottom 20% of your division, you could conceivably, using this revised concept of the term, be considered a "can."

I will continue to refuse usage of that word to any UFC fighter - but if others feel compelled, there might as well be some logical framework of where to use it.

Aw you guys are mean.....

Let's see, whats the definition of can? I could type up a long drawn out response, but i think this sums it up nicely: Traitor217.

But, who is the biggest can? That's a tough choice. It's between Traitor217 and Traitor217. I'd have to say Traitor217. Ehhh on the other hand Traitor217 is a pretty big can.. Hmm tough call but I gotta stick to my original answer of Traitor217.

Bendo is the biggest can of them all. Won the belt on robbery decision, defended it via robbery decision, got tooled by Pettis, and then couldn't even finish a guy with a broken hand in a 5 round fight.

His point fighting style is just awful. He should teach Can 101 at the Can academy.

Bendo is the biggest can of them all. Won the belt on robbery decision, defended it via robbery decision, got tooled by Pettis, and then couldn't even finish a guy with a broken hand in a 5 round fight.

His point fighting style is just awful. He should teach Can 101 at the Can academy.

dude, his first win over edgar was probably one of the most dominant wins i've ever seen. rewatch that fight...i was scared that frankie was going to get permanent damage by the time that fight was done.

dude, his first win over edgar was probably one of the most dominant wins i've ever seen. rewatch that fight...i was scared that frankie was going to get permanent damage by the time that fight was done.

He did damage with the up kick, and then nothing for the next three rounds.

A can is:

-anyone who only rises to the top because they pick and choose easy fights

-point fighters

-consistent gatekeepers

-old dogs who refuse to retire but also refuse to evolve

-one dimensional grapplers that noone would pay a nickel in another organization

-runners

-fighters who are popular due to pure luck(bad judging, bad ref's, not tested for PED's, etc)

-champions that fight once a year

-anyone from France

Lol says a split decision was dominant. Edgar had a busted eye from that One Kick. That was basically the whole fight.

I don't give a shiit about dominant. Dominance is something the GSP huggers cling to because he won't finish fights and has zero killer instinct.

You want to know a real example of dominance? Cain vs JDS. Cain beat the ever living shiit out of JDS for 5 rounds straight while always hunting for a big shot to finish the fight. The only reason he didn't is because JDS is such a damn warrior

Conversely the reason GSP or Bendo cant finish fights has everything to do with it not really being their goal in the first place. Their goal is to out point their opponent while taking as little damage as possible.

You need to get your eyes checked.

So basically he's a can because judges are cans?

So basically he's a can because judges are cans?

The judges don't force him to point fight... Well maybe they do because he knows he can win a crap decision so he probably thinks "why open up and risk anything when I can just coast to another robbery."

Archived