Elementary school takes lunches away from students owing account balances

Megasoup

So, this happened:

"A group of up to 40 students at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City had their lunches taken away and then thrown in the trash due to outstanding balances on their accounts, as reported by the Salt Lake Tribune.

Erica Lukes, a parent of one of the students, told the newspaper, "It's despicable. These are young children that shouldn't be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up."

Lukes' daughter, fifth-grader Sophia Isom, told KSL-TV that a district employee took her lunch away and said, "Go get a milk." Sophia recalled, "I came back and asked, 'What's going on?' Then she handed me an orange. She said, 'You don't have any money in your account, so you can't get lunch.’”

So, what happened? The Salt Lake City district posted an apology and an explanation on Facebook.

A "child nutrition manager" had been sent to the school on Monday to investigate the "large number of students who had zero or negative balances in their school lunch accounts." Officials said they then began calling parents.

From Facebook:

On Tuesday, the calls to parents continued. When lunch time came, students who still had negative balances were told they could not have a full meal but were given a piece of fruit and a milk for lunch. The district does this so children who don’t have money for lunch can at least have some food and not go without.

Unfortunately, children are served lunch before they get to the computer for payment. The children who didn’t have enough money in their accounts had their normal food trays taken from them and were given the fruit and milk.

This situation could have and should have been handled in a different manner. We apologize.""

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/elementary-school-takes-away-students--lunches-due-outstanding-balances-on-accounts-174726995.html

Taken away and thrown in the trash?

Full retard... not surprising considering it's Utah.

What do you think should've been the proper recourse?

Just let the kids eat that jailhouse food that the school has about a nickel invested in.

Knowing that you identify as a conservative, I am disappointed with this answer.

Oh come on man. They ended up just throwing it in the trash anyway. I wouldn't consider myself a conservative or liberal btw.

If they want to preach madness and rewrite history in these schools the government should give them a meal a day. They give prisoners 3 squares a day 365 days a year. How many people do we have locked up? 2, 3 million?

Oh come on man. They ended up just throwing it in the trash anyway. I wouldn't consider myself a conservative or liberal btw.

If they want to preach madness and rewrite history in these schools the government should give them a meal a day. They give prisoners 3 squares a day 365 days a year. How many people do we have locked up? 2, 3 million?

All of those things cost us money. Lots of money. There's no message or lesson to be learned if the children of parents who are delinquent on their payment just get the food anyway. Those lunches, which are a giant waste of tax dollars, that were pushed forward by none other than Michelle Obama, cost far more than a nickel. It sucks for the kids but the buck has to stop somewhere.

All of those things cost us money. Lots of money. There's no message or lesson to be learned if the children of parents who are delinquent on their payment just get the food anyway. Those lunches, which are a giant waste of tax dollars, that were pushed forward by none other than Michelle Obama, cost far more than a nickel. It sucks for the kids but the buck has to stop somewhere.

Oh they give them decent food in public schools now? I didn't know really I just remember the garbage they served us when I was in school.

I just think it's stupid if it's just going to be thrown in the trash anyway. Go find some homeless man and give him 40 lunches. It would be a little different if the meals were never prepared. Taking it from a child and dumping it in the trash is a bit extreme as one of our posters would say.

Oh they give them decent food in public schools now? I didn't know really I just remember the garbage they served us when I was in school.

I just think it's stupid if it's just going to be thrown in the trash anyway. Go find some homeless man and give him 40 lunches. It would be a little different if the meals were never prepared. Taking it from a child and dumping it in the trash is a bit extreme as one of our posters would say.

It's

Not good food, just costs a lot to make. The "hot meal" initiative that was pushed by the liberals and Michelle Obama are much like anything else the government provides. Bloated costs, inefficient rollout, poorly operated. I know that in Harris and Brazoria counties in Texas, people were up in arms over a price increase not too long ago. At $2.65-2.75 a meal, those free lunches add up quick. Not even factoring in staff wages and operating costs. It's one reason among many why my children go to private school.

It's

Not good food, just costs a lot to make. The "hot meal" initiative that was pushed by the liberals and Michelle Obama are much like anything else the government provides. Bloated costs, inefficient rollout, poorly operated. I know that in Harris and Brazoria counties in Texas, people were up in arms over a price increase not too long ago. At $2.65-2.75 a meal, those free lunches add up quick. Not even factoring in staff wages and operating costs. It's one reason among many why my children go to private school.

Yeah it's most likely GMO. Speaking bloated costs hospital bills are insane. I paid one in full for what they settled for from November 2010 and I just got a call the other day from a private number I didn't answer about the same ****. Some **** leaving me a voicemail. I could have had health insurance at the time if I wanted to cough up like 30 or 35% of my income. **** that.

Anyway another one of the reasons your children go to private schools is because you can afford to send them which is awesome. I don't have any kids yet and I'm so glad I don't have any with my ex that would be a nightmare. I might be able to afford sending one to a private school if I would stop spending so much money on my self destructive lifestyle.

@Kevbo_Jones

If you don't mind me asking how many children do you have? Also even with private schooling what do you think about their futures considering how quickly things are taking a drastic turn to ****? I know you are smarter then your average parent that thinks everything will be fine. It's just something I've thought about concerning whether I want children or not. I almost feel like it would be selfish to want to have one with current state of affairs.

I say we give the kids a free lunch in this country and end the free lunch for the rest of the world. We gave out 37 Billion dollars in foreign aid last year and everyone hates us anyway. **** em, lets reel that in and feed some kids.

@Kevbo_Jones

If you don't mind me asking how many children do you have? Also even with private schooling what do you think about their futures considering how quickly things are taking a drastic turn to ****? I know you are smarter then your average parent that thinks everything will be fine. It's just something I've thought about concerning whether I want children or not. I almost feel like it would be selfish to want to have one with current state of affairs.

2 by birth, 3 by marriage. I'm not very hopeful of the future for them but I don't burden them with that at this point. I talk to my 13 year old about it sparingly just so that he is aware of the world around him. At this point, all I can do is teach them financial responsibility, good values, and save for their futures. I'll expand on that thought when I have more time if you would like.

If they have insufficient money to pay for the food they've selected, and are given milk and an orange to insure they don't go hungry, it's not a terrible system. The destructive part of this was in the execution, where in the children (who may have been otherwise oblivious to their balance, I don't know how that it handled) had to suffer what amounts to a public shaming. Even as an adult I would be embarrassed to be at the checkout point and have someone take away my food in front of others - I can't imagine a young child, surrounded by his peers (and let's face it, children can be quite cruel at that age), having food taken away from him.

If the school wants to crack down on such matters, they should have some kind of system wherein the children are told before selecting their food what the balance is, and therefore what they can or can't afford. If they simply don't have the finances to buy a pizza and fries, they can be told to pick up an orange and milk for free. This would also reduce the cost of throwing away food that is otherwise fine.

I remember as a child in school, we usually just paid in cash, or brought lunches from home. If not, we didn't have a free option. That being said, things like milk and fruit were so cheap I'm sure a spare quarter found in your pocket could have covered the cost - it was usually things like pizza or Fruitopia drinks that cost real money. I suppose my point is, children understand tangible money quite easily. I don't recall anyone being overwhelmed by the system in place 20 years ago. Introducing children to things like "balances" on accounts - it's quite easy for a kid to forget, or maybe not have means to keeping track. So this idea of waiting until they've picked their food only to be told, in a public shaming session, they can't have it? That seems harsh for fragile minds of that age.

If they have insufficient money to pay for the food they've selected, and are given milk and an orange to insure they don't go hungry, it's not a terrible system. The destructive part of this was in the execution, where in the children (who may have been otherwise oblivious to their balance, I don't know how that it handled) had to suffer what amounts to a public shaming. Even as an adult I would be embarrassed to be at the checkout point and have someone take away my food in front of others - I can't imagine a young child, surrounded by his peers (and let's face it, children can be quite cruel at that age), having food taken away from him.

If the school wants to crack down on such matters, they should have some kind of system wherein the children are told before selecting their food what the balance is, and therefore what they can or can't afford. If they simply don't have the finances to buy a pizza and fries, they can be told to pick up an orange and milk for free. This would also reduce the cost of throwing away food that is otherwise fine.

I remember as a child in school, we usually just paid in cash, or brought lunches from home. If not, we didn't have a free option. That being said, things like milk and fruit were so cheap I'm sure a spare quarter found in your pocket could have covered the cost - it was usually things like pizza or Fruitopia drinks that cost real money. I suppose my point is, children understand tangible money quite easily. I don't recall anyone being overwhelmed by the system in place 20 years ago. Introducing children to things like "balances" on accounts - it's quite easy for a kid to forget, or maybe not have means to keeping track. So this idea of waiting until they've picked their food only to be told, in a public shaming session, they can't have it? That seems harsh for fragile minds of that age.

I find that I almost agree with you on a lot of things...and in this multifaceted world with all of it's complicated mechanisms and intangibles, almost agreeing with another person's perspective is as close as I think I will ever get.

Poor children getting caught in the middle of tax leeches and deadbeat parents.

When you say tax leeches, do you mean giant corporations like Wal-Mart or McDonald's, who hire top attorneys to seek out each and every possible loophole in the tax code and also pay their employees less than a living wage, so that they are obligated to apply for government assistance in order to carry on? (which is as pretty direct a subsidization for their employers as can be.)

When you say tax leeches, do you mean giant corporations like Wal-Mart or McDonald's, who hire top attorneys to seek out each and every possible loophole in the tax code and also pay their employees less than a living wage, so that they are obligated to apply for government assistance in order to carry on? (which is as pretty direct a subsidization for their employers as can be.)

Nope, I mean people who are paid through taxes. I don't like my money being stolen from me to pay for this kind of idiocy. Public schools do a terrible job of what they are supposed to do. They also cost way more than they should, even if they didn't do a terrible job they are still wasting tons of money.

Nope, I mean people who are paid through taxes. I don't like my money being stolen from me to pay for this kind of idiocy. Public schools do a terrible job of what they are supposed to do. They also cost way more than they should, even if they didn't do a terrible job they are still wasting tons of money.

Public schools do a terrible job? I wasn't aware of this. I just assumed that since the U.S. population has a literacy rate of above 99% (including people with disabilities) that schools were doing a pretty good job. Have you ever tried to teach a 6 year-old to read? It's a challenge just to get them to sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I'm going to chalk this up to you not knowing what you''re talking about.

Public schools do a terrible job? I wasn't aware of this. I just assumed that since the U.S. population has a literacy rate of above 99% (including people with disabilities) that schools were doing a pretty good job. Have you ever tried to teach a 6 year-old to read? It's a challenge just to get them to sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Here is some free education for you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/us-falls-in-world-education-rankings_n_793185.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/06/21/155515613/how-much-does-the-government-spend-to-send-a-kid-to-school

Yes 99% of the united states can at least stutter and stammer through The Cat in the Hat, not really something to brag about, seeing as most children learn to read before they are even in school. Definitely not worth 12 thousand dollars a year per student.

Here is some free education for you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/us-falls-in-world-education-rankings_n_793185.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/06/21/155515613/how-much-does-the-government-spend-to-send-a-kid-to-school

Yes 99% of the united states can at least stutter and stammer through The Cat in the Hat, not really something to brag about, seeing as most children learn to read before they are even in school. Definitely not worth 12 thousand dollars a year per student.

I'm aware that we're falling behind in the field of education. The funny thing about those rankings, is that most of the nations that are at the top are very progressive, which is the kind of ideology that I like to get behind. With the push-and-pull policy making you'll find in the country between the progressive thinkers and the conservatives in our nation, it makes a person wonder just who exactly is to blame. Anyway, in these countries, I guarantee that a poor student is not going to have their lunch tossed in the garbage, so I don't know what your argument is, exactly.

LOL Michelle Obama invented the school lunch.

Really the **** you learn around here is priceless.

Yeah, I thought that was ridiculous, too. But I hear and read so many ridiculous things, that I don't really think about just how they measure up; like just how asinine some of these claims are. I just sorta' lump them all in one category and ignore them. This one is astonishingly ludicrous. Considering the red tape surrounding each and every piece of legislation or policy change, it's pretty incredible that someone would try to pass off something like this as truthful...as if someone like Michelle Obama (who doesn't hold a political office or a government position at all,) could actually make such a sweeping change across the nation, and so quickly. That would be pretty impressive, to tell you the truth. But, do people really believe this kind of thing?

Wow, though. There's so many posters that I can't really keep track of them all, but this Kevbo guy has been posting a lot on my threads (so he kinda' stands out) and he's really starting to look like he's completely out of his depth.

lol please, for the love of god stick around. I want to see you and Kevbo argue, the intellectual beating he puts on you is going to be hilarious.

lol please, for the love of god stick around. I want to see you and Kevbo argue, the intellectual beating he puts on you is going to be hilarious.

Stick around? I have been here longer than the both of you. But you still make me laugh.

Stick around? I have been here longer than the both of you. But you still make me laugh.

I meant in this thread, obviously.

I didn't know Wal-Mart and McDonalds were holding people against their will.

Its funny because you inherently understand the transaction that occurs between an employer and an employee but you choose to reject it. I don't know why this is, I'm sure theres some psychology term for it, but it boggles my mind that you can't see it.

Lets say you got a girlfriend, and this girlfriend doesn't put out what you want. Lets say you feel you give more than she does to the relationship. What do you do? You going to hold a gun to her head and force her to be the way you want? You going to drag her down to the basement and lock her up till she submits to your authority? Or are you going to find another girlfriend? I would hope your answer would be the latter. And I'm going to assume it is.

You see the cool thing about my "extreme" beliefs is that they are inherent in every aspect of a persons life. You wouldn't force that girl to like you because its a voluntary relationship. You or her could walk away at any moment. The SAME EXACT way you can walk out of a job you feel is mistreating you.

What I did here Megasoup was give you a counter example. In logic when a proper counter example is given it then falsifies your previous statement.

More on Counter Examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterexample

Did I say she invented them? No, you're just trying to project your own ignorance into my statement. Had you actually read my posts in regards to that statement, you'd see I clarified the "hot meal" initiative she vehemently pushed and continues to push in her husband's shadow. This is common knowledge to anyone who has internet access, can use google, and has an operating brain...

Its funny because you inherently understand the transaction that occurs between an employer and an employee but you choose to reject it. I don't know why this is, I'm sure theres some psychology term for it, but it boggles my mind that you can't see it.

Lets say you got a girlfriend, and this girlfriend doesn't put out what you want. Lets say you feel you give more than she does to the relationship. What do you do? You going to hold a gun to her head and force her to be the way you want? You going to drag her down to the basement and lock her up till she submits to your authority? Or are you going to find another girlfriend? I would hope your answer would be the latter. And I'm going to assume it is.

You see the cool thing about my "extreme" beliefs is that they are inherent in every aspect of a persons life. You wouldn't force that girl to like you because its a voluntary relationship. You or her could walk away at any moment. The SAME EXACT way you can walk out of a job you feel is mistreating you.

What I did here Megasoup was give you a counter example. In logic when a proper counter example is given it then falsifies your previous statement.

Dude, you're an idiot. If an adult is working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart, the odds are pretty good that they have limited potential. You see, a lot of people who work at places like these are just not too clever. Some people don't have a lot of opportunities that are available to them.

I hate to be disrespectful to anyone, but the reality is:

-Some people have very low IQ's. They simply cannot function at a high level.

-Some people are very unattractive. They don't stand the same chance in interviews.

-Some people made bad decisions when they were younger and have criminal records; records that will never disappear, no matter how much they've straightened their act.

-Some people made bad decisions when they were younger and have a ton of children by more than one deadbeat father. Their childhoods were horrible and had almost no guidance. They just sought love and were lied to over and over again.

-Some people are just not very ambitious. Perfectly nice people with average intellects who put in their 40 hours at an easy job that was easy to get. Hey, someone has to fix the hamburgers, right? No crime in that.

-Some people are just out of luck. They're in between opportunities and the bills just keep coming. They never worked fast food before and they won't be working fast food in the future. But they're there right now...and they have to eat and pay rent. Time stops for no man.

This notion that "No one's putting a gun to their head" is terrible logic. It's not so easy to just "go out and find a better job," especially for the group of people I pointed up above. What world do you live in?

You're a fool. You really are. I don't want to wish harm to some idiot that I only know over the internet, but I do hope that you learn a hard lesson one day. I swear to God, you need it. It will make you a better person.

Did I say she invented them? No, you're just trying to project your own ignorance into my statement. Had you actually read my posts in regards to that statement, you'd see I clarified the "hot meal" initiative she vehemently pushed and continues to push in her husband's shadow. This is common knowledge to anyone who has internet access, can use google, and has an operating brain...

So, what? Everybody involved in politics has an agenda and if they're worth anything, they should be trying to push it. But the fact of the matter is, whether these lunches are a good thing or a bad thing, we can't lay too terribly much credit or blame at the doorstep of someone who doesn't actually have the power to write laws, judge laws or enforce them.

And how do you defend your position that these lunches are a giant waste of tax dollars? What makes them a "giant waste of tax dollars?" You can't just cast out a charge like that without supporting it.

If you don;t like working at Wal Mart you can go work at McDonalds.

So, what? Everybody involved in politics has an agenda and if they're worth anything, they should be trying to push it. But the fact of the matter is, whether these lunches are a good thing or a bad thing, we can't lay too terribly much credit or blame at the doorstep of someone who doesn't actually have the power to write laws, judge laws or enforce them.

And how do you defend your position that these lunches are a giant waste of tax dollars? What makes them a "giant waste of tax dollars?" You can't just cast out a charge like that without supporting it.

Anyone who actually wants to know that information and has the things I mentioned can do the research themselves in a matter of minutes. Like I said, this is common knowledge. You won't have to dig too deep to find it...

Hot lunch programs in schools have been going on since the 1950s.

I'm sure if you were to use your legendary police sleuthing abilities you would uncover further evidence implicating Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton,and maybe even Nancy Reagan in supporting the same programs.

Its a First Lady thang.

Indeed it has and I couldn't care less which first lady continues to support it, or their husband's political affiliation. It's a terrible program and lady Obama actually made it far more horrible and inefficient. Argue with facts all you want. It doesn't change anything I've said.

I'm sure if you were to use your legendary police sleuthing abilities you would uncover further evidence implicating Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton,and maybe even Nancy Reagan in supporting the same programs.

Its a First Lady thang.

Indeed it has and I couldn't care less which first lady continues to support it, or their husband's political affiliation. It's a terrible program and lady Obama actually made it far more horrible and inefficient. Argue with facts all you want. It doesn't change anything I've said.

Nancy Reagan is famous for declaring that ketchup was a vegetable for the purposes of the school lunch program.

A "Nancy Reagan school lunch" was the punch line for about a million jokes.

See, some of us are old enough to remember this ****.

Its a First Lady thang.

Nancy Reagan is famous for declaring that ketchup was a vegetable for the purposes of the school lunch program.

I'm well aware of this. I don't know why you're mentioning this as if I should care. I'm not a Republican. The program is terrible, has been terrible, and got exponentially worse when Obama made her changes. Let's discuss facts. Not pointless non sequiturs.

Its a First Lady thang.

I'm well aware of this. I don't know why you're mentioning this as if I should care. I'm not a Republican. The program is terrible, has been terrible, and got exponentially worse when Obama made her changes. Let's discuss facts. Not pointless non sequiturs.

What facts Kevbo?

Michelle Obama invented school lunches.

Its pretty cut and dried.

Its a First Lady thang.

What facts Kevbo?

Show me where I said that. At this point you're just creating a nonsensical talking point rather than refuting my statement. No wonder 12er was anticipating my response. This is too easy. I was prepared for a battle of wits but it appears you came unarmed...

Its a First Lady thang.

What facts Kevbo?

Show me where I said that. At this point you're just creating a nonsensical talking point rather than refuting my statement. No wonder 12er was anticipating my response. This is too easy. I was prepared for a battle of wits but it appears you came unarmed...

He's a nonsensical retard, the only time he's right is when he finds a typo to latch onto. Some of the gems he's tried to drop.

Ali was in jail for years for draft dodging.

Boxers wrap their hands differently than MMA fighters and thus never break their hands.

Anderson silva has been out struck in the first round of all of his fights.

Dude had no idea how to use google.

Dude, you're an idiot. If an adult is working at McDonald's or Wal-Mart, the odds are pretty good that they have limited potential. You see, a lot of people who work at places like these are just not too clever. Some people don't have a lot of opportunities that are available to them.

-Some people are very unattractive. They don't stand the same chance in interviews.

-Some people made bad decisions when they were younger and have criminal records; records that will never disappear, no matter how much they've straightened their act.

-Some people made bad decisions when they were younger and have a ton of children by more than one deadbeat father. Their childhoods were horrible and had almost no guidance. They just sought love and were lied to over and over again.

-Some people are just not very ambitious. Perfectly nice people with average intellects who put in their 40 hours at an easy job that was easy to get. Hey, someone has to fix the hamburgers, right? No crime in that.

-Some people are just out of luck. They're in between opportunities and the bills just keep coming. They never worked fast food before and they won't be working fast food in the future. But they're there right now...and they have to eat and pay rent. Time stops for no man.

This notion that "No one's putting a gun to their head" is terrible logic. It's not so easy to just "go out and find a better job," especially for the group of people I pointed up above. What world do you live in?

You're a fool. You really are. I don't want to wish harm to some idiot that I only know over the internet, but I do hope that you learn a hard lesson one day. I swear to God, you need it. It will make you a better person.

Typical libtard response.

The only one of all your points that holds any weight is the first one. And even then that is a dumb **** ****ing reason. Im going to change your low IQ to mentally challenged. And that is an extremely low % of the population and Im going to suggest that they have families that can help them or some sort of church charity. But I completely disagree with it as a reason to pass unnecessary laws that require the use of force.

And your last bit there literally says NOTHING. Nadda zip. You say my logics terrible then fail to suggest how. You suggest that can't go out and get another job and again fail to explain why or how? You have in a wall of text provided NOTHING of significance that even comes close to a sound argument. You are outclassed here kid. Just like you are in life.

The only one of all your points that holds any weight is the first one. And even then that is a dumb **** ****ing reason. Im going to change your low IQ to mentally challenged. And that is an extremely low % of the population and Im going to suggest that they have families that can help them or some sort of church charity. But I completely disagree with it as a reason to pass unnecessary laws that require the use of force.

And your last bit there literally says NOTHING. Nadda zip. You say my logics terrible then fail to suggest how. You suggest that can't go out and get another job and again fail to explain why or how? You have in a wall of text provided NOTHING of significance that even comes close to a sound argument. You are outclassed here kid. Just like you are in life.

Your argument is really weak, dude. Mine was pretty solid, but you fail to recognize that. There's no point in debating with you any more. If you'd like to consider that a win, be my guest. But the truth is, you just haven't had a ton of experience from which to draw perspective and you're too stubborn to recognize that you might be wrong about this one.

Consider this, if there's ever a possibility that your position is not the best one, take the route of kindness. Take this debate, for example; don't you think it's indecent to take food away from children? Being a jerk is not nearly as fulfilling as you might believe.

I typically agree with you on business matters, but this time I cannot. You can't use the cost argument because they threw the food away. If the cost was an issue, then letting them eat was the more logical solution considering you still lose the food, but you get to keep the PR.

I agree that something should be done, but I don't believe you can punish the kids. If a dog craps on the carpet, you can't punish the carpet and expect the dog to learn. These meals are state funded, so just deduct it from the parents income or taxes.

Your argument is really weak, dude. Mine was pretty solid, but you fail to recognize that. There's no point in debating with you any more. If you'd like to consider that a win, be my guest. But the truth is, you just haven't had a ton of experience from which to draw perspective and you're too stubborn to recognize that you might be wrong about this one.

from

Consider this, if there's ever a possibility that your position is not the best one, take the route of kindness. Take this debate, for example; don't you think it's indecent to take food away from children? Being a jerk is not nearly as fulfilling as you might believe.

Actually, what you're saying is that people who are dumb, ugly, or come from less affluent backgrounds should have a different set of rules to follow than the rest of us. Not only that, but those of us who don't fall under your sweeping generalizations should have to lower our standards in order for this to be an acceptable protocol. That logic fails to pass the sniff test and screams nanny state supporter.

Archived