Sign in to follow this  
ColemanRules

TUF Nations...Embarrasing

Been a UFC fan for about 15 years...never put a post in here and embarrasing is a harsh word to use but as a proud Australian the first 3 episodes have left me shaking my head.

Im not questioning the Aussies heart or toughness but the skill level is just...well...embarrasing,Its like pros with 10 fights against amateurs with 3 fights...the difference in the training and dicipline and the skill level in the fights is considerable...How were the Aussies picked?...I mean no offence to the the guys in it, i mean i want Australia to win!!, im just wondering how this process of picking our fighters went down.

Im not making excuses here but the Canadians just seem used to this surrounding while our guys seem like its their first training camp...i just dont know.

The whole premise is embarrassing: two middleweight coaches that nobody cares about and who aren't relevant in the division, a log cabin, and a bunch of fighters who don't belong anywhere near the UFC... Might sound harsh but pretty sure I'm not being too unreasonable.

• Like 1

The whole premise of the Show is to find Fighters for U.F.C...Aussie's or Canuck's.. The Canadian Kid's are just kicking ****..Like Canadian Kid's Do... Team Canada's Chad Laprise (7-0) belong's in the U.F.C..and I believe has the Skill Set to win the Show..I also have been enjoying Combat Sports a very long time..And his last fight was fought Perfect..Sweet Back Kicks at the End...Have a Look..If you didnt see the Fight http://mmajunkie.com/2014/01/video-chad-lapris-vs-chris-indich-full-fight-from-tuf-nations-episode-no-3/

Um yes,im very aware of what the premise of the show is and i can see the Canadian guys are indeed owning...but look at the fights in the show!...im not surprised they are owning...which is my point about how the Australian fighters got picked for the show...I dunno who put this together but was the guy Canadian?...lol jk,but seriously ive been watching TUF since Season 8 and ive never seen one Team that outclasses the other on such a level.

I dont mind the Canadians winning...thats fine but this is just no competition...as Australians we are tough and hardy and gutsy no probs there but the experience and the skill level?...geez whats goin on here.I just feel like the Aussies are bein led to the slaughterhouse.

lol...gee that was deep.but this next fight in ep4 has me worried,the Aussie guy looks outta shape and is complaining already about his diet and hes snacking on crap...while the Canadian looks like he could walk into the Octagon in the UFC right now...once again...who picked the Aussie fighters?...geez...Its just painful for me as an Aussie to watch...but one thing about MMA and thats anything can happen.

This whole season is put together like something to plug the gaps?..i dunno,i mean Dana aint even there hes on a tv screen!...lol and to be honest ive never heard of Kyle Nokes nor the Canadian coach.

Well Jbrahams you are so right and im so happy!...Wow Tyler...what guts and balls and at 19 yrs old...incredible...that man has a big future in MMA.To go up against a much bigger,fitter and more experienced opponent and to be that composed...incredible.

Well Jbrahams you are so right and im so happy!...Wow Tyler...what guts and balls and at 19 yrs old...incredible...that man has a big future in MMA.To go up against a much bigger,fitter and more experienced opponent and to be that composed...incredible.

He had his hands down a lot, due to fatigue. I hope he works on his cardio or someone will take advantage of that.

I totally agree with you PoloRidah...i noticed that too but because he is young he has everything to learn and gain from the right camp...also he has the tools...even though it needs a lot more polishing i really liked his head movement and movement...even if he lost the fight i would still say he is by far the most impressive in the Australian camp so far.

Another victory for the Aussies...phew!...now we startin to some talent!

Jake Matthews is a big prospect too, I've seen he's training at Greg Jacksons now as well, so that's only gonna make him better

The Canadian just ran threw the Aussie.

didn't get tot watch it casue the y played it on FS2 but the aussie dude looked really big slow and sloppy kinda expected him to get beat up

Sorry to say but im not surprised about the outcome...and i once again go back to who the fk picked the Australian fighters?...Im sure Dan Kelly is as tough as nails with the heart of a lion...we never really seen much of him till the episode when he was chosen for the next fight...soon as i seen him throw his kicks and knees and punch combinations during training i was thinking you gotta be fkn kidding me.

The guy is an Olympian in Judo and that must be what they picked him on...to be 36 and throw punches like that...and his kicks would have been so slow and telegraphed to be of no use...I mean no disrespect to Dan nor the Canadians but the bloke had no business being there.

Tyler vs Elias...could of been a good fight if Elias was actually going to fight...cant fkn stand fighters who for whatever reason...either to scared to get hit or its all theyve got that do that boring fkn grind against the cage sht...its not popular in the UFC and Dana himself has mentioned it many times...glad i had the fast forward button...didnt even watch the end...dont care, that was no fight...piss weak.

I don't get why you think Elias had nothing going on? One of the scoring criteria is octagon control and what you refer to as the "boring fkn grind against the cage sht" is all about being in control. While some fight fans don't find it very exciting it is still an integral part of MMA. Domination over your opponent is the point of the entire contest, not keeping you glued to your seat.

I just think theres no way Elias wanted to mix it with Tyler...im not saying Elias doesnt have skills...maybe he does...but trying to tell us that grinding guys up against the cage is skillful...i disagree...and for all my years watching the UFC and TUF these types of fights are boring and dont showcase much...nor do i beg for slugging matches...i love the chess game that is MMA...but walk straight into a round and go yeah ill just grind this guy against the cage!...again i say fk that...UFC will say the same too im bettin.

Oh and btw...i was watching some Bellator MMA a few weeks ago and they had some curly haired Middleweight or Welterweight dude defending his belt for the fifth time and he was 10 straight wins or something...this was last year sometime... and i thought oh man this is gonna be good...well the dude was a wrestler (nothing wrong with that) and no sht he grinded the other guy on the cage the whole time...for 3 FULL ROUNDS...even the crowd was booing this curly haired dude...really really boring...and i like seein the guys work and strategise but...well anyways.

Oh and btw...i was watching some Bellator MMA a few weeks ago and they had some curly haired Middleweight or Welterweight dude defending his belt for the fifth time and he was 10 straight wins or something...this was last year sometime... and i thought oh man this is gonna be good...well the dude was a wrestler (nothing wrong with that) and no sht he grinded the other guy on the cage the whole time...for 3 FULL ROUNDS...even the crowd was booing this curly haired dude...really really boring...and i like seein the guys work and strategise but...well anyways.

you don't know Ben Askren?

Yeah...thats him...these guys are Gladiators...but round starts...trade 1 or 2 punches then rush the guy to the cage,hold him and grind him there...lay on him...an im not talkin submissions here...repeat for the rest of the match...yeah thats awesome....maybe some guys like that i much prefer to watch the great skills and game of chess.

Yeah...thats him...these guys are Gladiators...but round starts...trade 1 or 2 punches then rush the guy to the cage,hold him and grind him there...lay on him...an im not talkin submissions here...repeat for the rest of the match...yeah thats awesome....maybe some guys like that i much prefer to watch the great skills and game of chess.

yeah but Askren says that's what he is gonna do and no one can really stop him, I didn't like him at first but his brash attitude has won me over and especially the way the UFC treated him. He's arguably one of the best fighters they could sign right now but they didn't because he hadn't beaten anyone, yet every card we see sometimes up to 5 new guys debuting who end up being cans and have beaten absolutely no one of note.

Askren is crazy dominant with his wrestling. That is skill, if you were unaware.

You try doing what he does to grown men out there and let me know how it goes for you. He has finished people in his last couple of fights.

I thought Elias was very smart to not risk a injury. Clearly a better fighter why put yourself in a position to get hurt if you have the strength and Skill to avoid it?

Im not questioning anyones courage but if you guys prefer boring fights...good luck to you,and how was Elias the better fighter?...we didnt see anything,id be happy to congratulate Elias if i seen anything...grinding guys up against the cage is not "wrestling".I was watching Elias face during the rounds and he was like..."yeah...all i gotta do is grind the guy and i win!...ok good luck to you...but i find it extremely boring...i love watching the moves and counter moves in all areas of MMA holding a guy on a cage wall does not showcase this...thats my point.

Olivier vs Rich...I thought Rich done well till he allowed himself to be caught with the choke...congrats to both fighters...I think Olivier will win the whole thing...great pedigree working with the great GSP too...and what a work ethic...and also...Olivier is spooky man...lol.

I thought Elias was very smart to not risk a injury. Clearly a better fighter why put yourself in a position to get hurt if you have the strength and Skill to avoid it?

That is applaudable up to a certain extent, then it gets embarrassing. Elias' performance was pretty embarassing

Olivier vs Rich...I thought Rich done well till he allowed himself to be caught with the choke...congrats to both fighters...I think Olivier will win the whole thing...great pedigree working with the great GSP too...and what a work ethic...and also...Olivier is spooky man...lol.

Rich did look good, I can't see Olivier getting past Chad who's probably a better striker than Rich. I'd like him to though

There's no denying the playing field for this season is nowhere near level. It could have been, Aussies are tough as @$*# and can hold their own but without the same amount and level of training as the Canadians? Elias's fight just highlighted the discrepancy. He held him because he could. The alternative where he stands and trades would have been unevenly matched too. Of course Tyler could absolutely knock Elias out as well and while it may have been more exciting the difference in skill level could have played out way worse. Tyler could have lost in a much more harsh way. Why risk doing that kind of damage to someone else, doesn't seem very cool. I didn't even really think much of Elias until this but he's definitely a cool one.

I certainly agree with you regarding the playing field...the Canadians i think for the most part deserve their place in this show and whilst as an Australian myself I am seeing for the first time why we dont match up...sure the Aussies are tough and hardy but so are the Canadians...its the background...and we are way behind in the wrestling and jui jitsu that the Americans,Brazilians and Canadians grow up with...we simply do not have these backgrounds and it shows...I mean there may be great camps In Aussie i dunno...but are they at the elite level needed?...i will stick with what i said regarding Elias and Tylers fight...i would have liked to see them fight,and whether you like Dana White or not i have seen him say several times he himself cannot stand guys who push guys up on the cage and grind them there and hes the boss...and i am not one of those fans who start complaining the minute it goes to the ground.

yeah half the Canadians are training at Tri Star with some of the best coaches and fighters in the world, and there are some good gyms in Australia but nothing compares

Understood.

Cheers to the Aussie team for bringing it & hats off.

We'll all look forward to what comes outta Australia in the next couple years.

All Canadian finale, way to go guys :) gotta go with Westcott, he's from Alberta too.

I'm watching Belator and they have this ref who's beard is in braids that almost reach his knees. Wtf?

Great fight with Chad sticking to a game plan and winning...was a great fight...in the other fight im bettin Sheldon wont be making that mistake again of blowin his wad like that but that will come with experience...and yes finally seen Elias fight...he looked good and done well to weather the storm...i really dont mean to be puttin Elias down here but dude...beatin the snot outta someone whos completely gassed dont make you Jon Jones and carryin on like that in the ring...but he fought well and won...not a fan of him acting like a jerk about it is all...never been a fan of that sorta showboatin stuff specially to a dude who can hardly hold his arms up...anyways...gotta new respect for Kyle Nokes too...man he looked good but full respect and congrats to Cote...that knee on the chin woulda put most guys to sleep easy.

Great fight with Chad sticking to a game plan and winning...was a great fight...in the other fight im bettin Sheldon wont be making that mistake again of blowin his wad like that but that will come with experience...and yes finally seen Elias fight...he looked good and done well to weather the storm...i really dont mean to be puttin Elias down here but dude...beatin the snot outta someone whos completely gassed dont make you Jon Jones and carryin on like that in the ring...but he fought well and won...not a fan of him acting like a jerk about it is all...never been a fan of that sorta showboatin stuff specially to a dude who can hardly hold his arms up...anyways...gotta new respect for Kyle Nokes too...man he looked good but full respect and congrats to Cote...that knee on the chin woulda put most guys to sleep easy.

Yeah I'm surprised they had Olivier as favourite, his grappling is very good but he had Jake Matthews' back that whole 2nd Round and couldn't finish him, I think he is overrated tbh even though I like him.

Yeah Sheldon's gameplan works well when he fought two 36 year olds in the house but any proper UFC level fighter will be able to beat him easily if he fights like that. I dont know if it's permanently like that but the back of his neck was really red and looked like it was kinda protruding a bit in the fight, not sure if it's permanently like that from all the damage but looked bad.

It's a shame Noke lost, I think he has really underrated striking, obviously training at GJ and training with Jones a lot has improved his striking, just that wrestling and ground game he needs to work on. I think a lot of people were surprised though, they probably thought Cote would have the better striking, but yeah that knee was brutal, Cote has a hell of a chin

The whole premise is embarrassing: two middleweight coaches that nobody cares about and who aren't relevant in the division, a log cabin, and a bunch of fighters who don't belong anywhere near the UFC... Might sound harsh but pretty sure I'm not being too unreasonable.

This is what I was thinking after the first episode... I feel like it quantity or quality with TUF these days

• Like 1