Big Nog, Big Country and Big Fights Without Title Implications

Megasoup

This is an interesting matchup and I'd like to see how this turns out. Both of these guys were recently beaten by Frank Mir.

I think that some of us lose sight of what fighting is, at it's core. A man doesn't challenge another man to find out if he's the best in the world; he just wants to see if he's better than the man he's challenging. Technically, there can only be one guy who is the best in the world. But, these other guys are just as relevant, and a fight between any one of them can be as entertaining as any title bout.

There's a lot of people that like to throw the word "can" around. I barely care about that. But, some people who have this mentality might find that they'll enjoy the sport more if they just sit back and watch

It's rather astonishing what the potential for matchups can be. It's funny, I never really thought about a fight between Big Nog and Big Country. I can't say I really think about stuff like that all that much. Really, there's an exponential factor about matchups; there may be a lot more that can be made than you or I probably think. I'll just sit back and watch everything unfold.

It's a good filler fight and the more I think about it I'm actually a bit interested to see how it will play out, but this is the troll of the year if the UFC tries to pass it off as a main event.

Its headlining Abu Dhabi which likely means its on a fight pass card. So its basically a ****ty UFC card to begin with.

Jesus Christ fight pass sounds like absolute trash.

lol. I agree but at this site people are nothing but zuffa zombies.

Prob have no clue what KSW, OneFC, RFA, etc is.

Oh, you might need to give them a pass on that. Life is just full of things that we all find ourselves wrapped up in.

I used to get every pay-per-view; from the time I was 26 until just after my 32nd birthday. But I barely even watch the UFC, anymore. In the last three years, I think I've had as many of my own fights as I've seen pay-per-pew events and have been to local MMA and boxing promotions to see my friends way more (always "backdooring" it, because I'm a cheapskate, and they seem to let me in.) Even then, I usually screw around behind the scenes more than actually watch the events. I certainly cannot find the time to check out other promotions. I've only been back on this forum for the last couple months.

I look to the UFC for MMA, just because it's the brand I always identified with, wrong or not.

It's a good filler fight and the more I think about it I'm actually a bit interested to see how it will play out, but this is the troll of the year if the UFC tries to pass it off as a main event.

Its headlining Abu Dhabi which likely means its on a fight pass card. So its basically a ****ty UFC card to begin with.

Fight pass is absolute trash. They are even putting the prelims on PPV cards on Fight Pass. So if you want to watch every fight on a PPV card in a legit fashion you are paying a total of 65 dollars, 55 for the PPV and 10 for Fight Pass access.

Not to mention that there is no way to cancel your Fight Pass subscription currently. I won't be paying for that ****.

Fight pass is absolute trash. They are even putting the prelims on PPV cards on Fight Pass. So if you want to watch every fight on a PPV card in a legit fashion you are paying a total of 65 dollars, 55 for the PPV and 10 for Fight Pass access.

Not to mention that there is no way to cancel your Fight Pass subscription currently. I won't be paying for that ****.

Hopefully terrible sales and low ratings on those fights will spell the end of this travesty.

Usually I like Dana's moves but if the growth of the sport is as important as we've been lead to believe, than I think bringing free fights to the masses would be the way to go. And by free I mean free to us. Of course the UFC would still get paid by the network and PPVs can stay the same.

All joking aside, RFA is legit. Brandon Thatch, Sergio Pettis, etc.. they get some really good fighters. It's basically a UFC feeder league.

RFA is more exciting than anything Fight Pass is going to put on. Especially this Big Gump vs. Big Hungry fight to see who gets a Big Pink Slip.

All joking aside, RFA is legit. Brandon Thatch, Sergio Pettis, etc.. they get some really good fighters. It's basically a UFC feeder league.

RFA is more exciting than anything Fight Pass is going to put on. Especially this Big Gump vs. Big Hungry fight to see who gets a Big Pink Slip.

Neither are getting a pink slip HW isn't deep enough and neither would be on a bad enough losing streak with a loss.

Neither are getting a pink slip HW isn't deep enough and neither would be on a bad enough losing streak with a loss.

Big Country would be at three straight losses. The first two to title contenders which pretty much seals his fate that he won't be necessary to keep much longer. His last quality win was Cro Cop in 2011. Minotauro has beaten the same old losers too. Brenden Schaub & Dave Herman = highly unimpressive wins. Those guys would lose to decent LHWs. Minotauro has had two fights since Jan. 1st, 2012. Neither him or his brother fight regularly enough to be worth keeping anymore.

I'd like to point out that they let Cheick Kongo go after drawing with Hapa and not losing two straight in his last eight UFC fights. He was also fighting much more frequently than either Nelson or Minotauro. So what's this nonsense about losing streaks being the end-all-be-all for staying with the company? It most certainly is not. (Jon Fitch is another example.)

Big Country would be at three straight losses. The first two to title contenders which pretty much seals his fate that he won't be necessary to keep much longer. His last quality win was Cro Cop in 2011. Minotauro has beaten the same old losers too. Brenden Schaub & Dave Herman = highly unimpressive wins. Those guys would lose to decent LHWs. Minotauro has had two fights since Jan. 1st, 2012. Neither him or his brother fight regularly enough to be worth keeping anymore.

I'd like to point out that they let Cheick Kongo go after drawing with Hapa and not losing two straight in his last eight UFC fights. He was also fighting much more frequently than either Nelson or Minotauro. So what's this nonsense about losing streaks being the end-all-be-all for staying with the company? It most certainly is not. (Jon Fitch is another example.)

That's just part of it Kongo doesn't have the fan base Nog and even Nelson has probably, especially Nog to compare them is just wrong. I could maybe agree Big Country could be close to getting cut but Nogs style is fan friendly and he's still a draw plus I can't even remember remember the last time they cut someone in a main event. As for Fitch he wasn't a draw at all 99% of people hated his style and would use his fights as a chance for a break to do other ****, he was also stopping up and coming fighters from rising up the ranks by grapple ****ing them that and the fact WW is one of if not the most stacked divisions where as HW is the probably the weakest except the women's division. I guarantee Nog does not get cut and most probably Nelson doesn't either.

I think Kongo chose to not renew his UFC contract, similar to Rampage. I remember reading something about that.

I think Kongo chose to not renew his UFC contract, similar to Rampage. I remember reading something about that.

You got me there. I didn't know that.

Wandy, I agree the HW division is god awful. Dana just seems to be getting cheaper, and I would imagine if Frank Mir got 200k for getting beatdown in his last fight, Big Country and Nog can't be too cheap either. Maybe I'll be wrong. I actually like watching both of them fight, but I think their times are almost up.

You got me there. I didn't know that.

Wandy, I agree the HW division is god awful. Dana just seems to be getting cheaper, and I would imagine if Frank Mir got 200k for getting beatdown in his last fight, Big Country and Nog can't be too cheap either. Maybe I'll be wrong. I actually like watching both of them fight, but I think their times are almost up.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from I just think the loser would get the step down before getting cut I know Dana dislikes Roy so he could be in danger but I'm leaning towards both getting one more fight should they lose.

They have the best Heavyweights there's a few in other organisations that are good to but it's just not as strong a division as the others imo there's an argument for Flyweight I guess. There's quite a big gap in talent between a lot of the fighters and they wouldn't want to get rid of some of there big draws when they have guys like Shaub and Mitrione etc on the roster.

They have the best Heavyweights there's a few in other organisations that are good to but it's just not as strong a division as the others imo there's an argument for Flyweight I guess. There's quite a big gap in talent between a lot of the fighters and they wouldn't want to get rid of some of there big draws when they have guys like Shaub and Mitrione etc on the roster.

Schaub isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He has a 10-3 record with 9 UFC fights.

Schaub isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He has a 10-3 record with 9 UFC fights.

Yeah but he hasn't really beat anyone that good he got fights with old Cro Cop and Gonzaga when he was on a down slide then he fights one diminesional guys like Mitrione and Lavar Johnson but when he got a step up Nog and Rothwell both flattened him. Nog would have a similar if not better record if he just had to fight those guys but he gets the likes of Werdum, Cain and Mir etc

I'd rather have Nog around and watch his fights over Shaub probably Nelson to.

Yeah but he hasn't really beat anyone that good he got fights with old Cro Cop and Gonzaga when he was on a down slide then he fights one diminesional guys like Mitrione and Lavar Johnson but when he got a step up Nog and Rothwell both flattened him. Nog would have a similar if not better record if he just had to fight those guys but he gets the likes of Werdum, Cain and Mir etc

I'd rather watch Scaub get KFTO and try to climb an imaginary rope than watch a washed up Nog or Big Slob fight.

I'd rather watch Scaub get KFTO and try to climb an imaginary rope than watch a washed up Nog or Big Slob fight.

Lol I like see Shaub getting ktfo but Nog is a much better fighter even if he is "washed up" now just saying I don't think he'll be cut with a lot worse HW's on the roster.

Archived