I need computer help and advice. Please help.

Jason_H.

Here is the complete list of programs that my Avast wants to upgrade.

Adobe AIR

Adobe Reader

Internet Explorer

Java Runtime Environment

VLC media player

WinRaR Archiver

What operating system and web browser(s) are you using?

You should check your system for possible updates.

You can also check each individual program/application that you have listed to see if there are any updates available. Choose an application/program and google 'how to update X application'.

you should probably try to upgrade those programs individually. none of them are harmful on their own. i use them all the time. but i would probably ditch your avast for kaspersky if it keeps bugging you to update after you already have. thats just a nuisance.

oh yeah and get rid of internet explorer. use firefox with adblock plus. IE is just too vulnerable no matter what you do with it and google chrome on its own has no privacy consideration at all and is built to keep track of your identity and browsing habits and forward them to 3rd parties. but why people still use chrome or internet explorer to this day i will never understand.

Are you on Windows? if so I combo Microsoft Security Essentials and another program called Malware Bytes. They are both pretty lightweight and will keep you safe enough without the hassle you get off programs like Avast/AVG etc.

Generally upgrading stuff is as simple as opening the program as well so I would do it to be honest

Here is the complete list of programs that my Avast wants to upgrade.

Adobe AIR

Adobe Reader

Internet Explorer

Java Runtime Environment

VLC media player

WinRaR Archiver

What operating system and web browser(s) are you using?

You should check your system for possible updates.

You can also check each individual program/application that you have listed to see if there are any updates available. Choose an application/program and google 'how to update X application'.

Windows 7 and Firefox.

I asked around on Facebook as well and so far people are telling me to not upgrade if I don't know what I'm doing. They also say if my system is running fine then simply ignore the update reminders.

I'm worried because my computer crashed not too long ago and I had to reboot it by using safe mode. Since then, it's been fine but I want to be protected. A lot of my work are done from my computer/internet.

I wish someone can just tell me what I should upgrade and what I should ignore.

you should probably try to upgrade those programs individually. none of them are harmful on their own. i use them all the time. but i would probably ditch your avast for kaspersky if it keeps bugging you to update after you already have. thats just a nuisance.

oh yeah and get rid of internet explorer. use firefox with adblock plus. IE is just too vulnerable no matter what you do with it and google chrome on its own has no privacy consideration at all and is built to keep track of your identity and browsing habits and forward them to 3rd parties. but why people still use chrome or internet explorer to this day i will never understand.

Thanks man, that was actually very helpful. I'll be sticking with firefox.

Are you on Windows? if so I combo Microsoft Security Essentials and another program called Malware Bytes. They are both pretty lightweight and will keep you safe enough without the hassle you get off programs like Avast/AVG etc.

Generally upgrading stuff is as simple as opening the program as well so I would do it to be honest

Cool. I've used AVG before and it takes up a lot of space.

Archived