UFC vs Internet "Pirates"

BeLikeWater

Zuffa, LLC, owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) organization, successfully took down and seized the records of www.cagewatcher.eu, a website that illegally streamed two UFC pay-per-view events.

Lonstein Law Office has successfully prosecuted hundreds of claims for the UFC organization for sites illegally streaming content and individual users since 2007. UFC’s status as the industry leader in pay-per-view television has helped it become a leader in cracking down on companies and individuals watching and facilitating the watching of pay-per-view events online, without paying. http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-takes-down-stream-site

iQx6BjR.jpg

UFC shuts down illegal streaming site, will try to prosecute viewers http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/11/5400322/ufc-shuts-down-illegal-streaming-site-will-prosecute-mma-news

UFC has successfully sued at least one person for watching streams http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/2/11/5402548/ufc-won-steaming-lawsuit-individual

UFC shuts down illegal streaming site, will try to prosecute viewers

lol they have so little fans as is, this is a bad idea

If the fans aren't paying money, what good is it to have them?

I'm glad to hear this. I wish more companies would take harder stances on piracy. It's insane to me how passive people are to the idea of stealing from someone. Illegal downloading of music, watching movies, sporting events: these all cost a lot of money, and many many people require the consumer to pay for their product to make a living. I'm not just talking about the "rich" stars, but a lot of working class folks who live off residuals and the revenue stream from entertainment products. No one would justify people just making copies of other people's work and handing it out for free, yet somehow because it's "entertainment" it's justified?

A fan who doesn't pay for their entertainment isn't a fan...it's just someone who's getting a free meal and skipping out on the check.

I'm glad to hear this. I wish more companies would take harder stances on piracy. It's insane to me how passive people are to the idea of stealing from someone. Illegal downloading of music, watching movies, sporting events: these all cost a lot of money, and many many people require the consumer to pay for their product to make a living. I'm not just talking about the "rich" stars, but a lot of working class folks who live off residuals and the revenue stream from entertainment products. No one would justify people just making copies of other people's work and handing it out for free, yet somehow because it's "entertainment" it's justified?

A fan who doesn't pay for their entertainment isn't a fan...it's just someone who's getting a free meal and skipping out on the check.

normally I rate your opinion as pretty much on point but this time, seriously, GTFO.

if corporations like the UFC weren't greedy snakes and charged fair prices for their products, and if they DO charge premium, distributed the wealth amongst its stars and employees rather than line their own corrupt pockets, then there would be no need for piracy.

But if you want to continue to rob people $50+ for two hours of usually pretty average cards then the people will find a way to watch for free.

I agree

But if they took down streaming they would actually lose money

Those "Streamers" still go to events, buy the merchandise, do free advertising, buy the videogames etc.

Some people can't afford to buy every event so have to pick the ones they like and maybe stream others same with movies and ****. I wouldn't say those people aren't real fans it's just there only chance to see it most people would pick paying and getting a quality picture over an annoying stream that freezes, has pop ups and can get shut down etc if they could I'm sure.

normally I rate your opinion as pretty much on point but this time, seriously, GTFO.

if corporations like the UFC weren't greedy snakes and charged fair prices for their products, and if they DO charge premium, distributed the wealth amongst its stars and employees rather than line their own corrupt pockets, then there would be no need for piracy.

But if you want to continue to rob people $50+ for two hours of usually pretty average cards then the people will find a way to watch for free.

Do you know the intricacies of how profits are split from within the company? And even if you did, who are you or I to judge? Obviously the employees feel they are receiving fair pay, or they wouldn't take the position.

This is something that upsets me greatly because I work in the film business, and I have not only read numerous reports on how piracy is destroying our industry, I have seen it first hand. When I first went to work, there were about twice as many independent films being made each year than there are now. In ten years, we have lost almost half of the industry, because no one wants to buy DVDs anymore when they can get it for free on streaming websites. Thank god Netflix came around, because we're just now starting to get back on track, as they actually pay for the content they show their costumers.

If you can't afford the watch UFC, an entertainment program, than you shouldn't be allowed to watch it. No where does it say you're entitled to spend your leisure time watching two men fight inside a cage. If you can't personally afford it, how is that their fault or problem? They aren't a charitable company trying to entertain for free - and if you don't think $50+ is a fair price, don't watch it. That's like me walking into a grocery store, seeing an apple, not agreeing with how much they are charging for the apple, so I just walk out with it instead.

Piracy is theft. Plain and simple. Nothing you say or do is going to justify it as something else.

Piracy is theft.

One could argue that is it sharing

Some people can't afford to buy every event so have to pick the ones they like

That's fine, and completely understandable... But that doesn't justify stealing the other events that you can't afford. If you can't afford to watch something, you shouldn't watch it.

That's fine, and completely understandable... But that doesn't justify stealing the other events that you can't afford. If you can't afford to watch something, you shouldn't watch it.

What if I go to my friends house to watch it? Am I a thief then?

No, it's a purchased event. But if you then pointed a camera towards that event and streamed it to anyone and everyone with internet access, that would be piracy.

The only person I've ever known to stream anything was so broke that he couldn't afford cable. He was streaming it from a prepaid phone and it was the most awful quality I've ever seen in my life. I, personally, would lose my mind with the hiccups and quality. Now, I've seen the quality from UFC.TV, but honestly I'm not schooled enough to know whether or not there are perfect quality illegal streaming sites out there. So I'm strictly speaking from the perspective of someone who's only seen something that resembled cell phone camera recordings from my bedroom in 2001...

Streaming is watching it once. Those people aren't even reproducing it for other people, which is where the real damage comes to Zuffa. What does slapping down $5k or $10k fines(or in some cases incarcerating) on people that are so dedicated to your company that they'll watch it in it's most awful visual form just to feel the experience of seeing it actually accomplish? Not to mention there are free fights on every month, but certain fighters won't ever be on Fox, FS1, Fight Pass, etc. It would be dishonest not to acknowledge that the free fight cards tend to be the least exciting. See the last Fox event that was littered with decisions.

Also, the people Zuffa is aiming to prosecute are absolutely going to be the ones talking about their brand. Those people bring attention to an otherwise stalling company. These free fight cards are getting more and more watered down. This roster with 400+ people on it doesn't allow for casual fans to actually follow them all closely. Look at this next fight card for instance. The casual fan can't pick Moose, Carmont, or Jacare out of a police line up. Sure the top two fights are exciting to us, but who is honestly getting excited for the rest of the fights? Nobody. But you can bet your **** that the people who were streaming those PPVs will be doing their damnedest to see it anyways. Do you want the UFC to end up like boxing with one big star(Mayweather) and a lot of Brooklyn Brawlers? Prosecuting people into alienation is a good place to start.

I totally agree that people who bootleg discs are causing monetary damage. You're taking money out of artists pockets when you sell a cd or movie. But I disagree that someone can't be a fanatic when they watch something once.

Of course not. Nor, are you if you go to a local sports bar. Those are completely legal things to do.

Of course not. Nor, are you if you go to a local sports bar. Those are completely legal things to do.

What if my friend PVRs it and then sends it to me after?

LOL just tweeted dana white my street, city, state and told him I will never give that greedy pig a cent, will continue to stream for me and my friends and there is nothing he can do.

I checked his Twitter and there's no Tweet from you or anybody that even remotely resembles your claim.

You don't gotta lie to kick it, Bruh.

LOL just tweeted dana white my street, city, state and told him I will never give that greedy pig a cent, will continue to stream for me and my friends and there is nothing he can do.

I checked his Twitter and there's no Tweet from you or anybody that even remotely resembles your claim.

????

are you ****ing retarded, check again, its the twitter that says @fatalstrife.

Oh looks like I didnt hit enter, sorry about that

been sending him this stuff all day, I would love to see this bald jackoff in a courtroom

p5jh.png

Word of mouth is better than nothing

????

been sending him this stuff all day, I would love to see this bald jackoff in a courtroom

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/7302/p5jh.png

Who's the naughty mistress?

Do you know the intricacies of how profits are split from within the company? And even if you did, who are you or I to judge? Obviously the employees feel they are receiving fair pay, or they wouldn't take the position.

This is something that upsets me greatly because I work in the film business, and I have not only read numerous reports on how piracy is destroying our industry, I have seen it first hand. When I first went to work, there were about twice as many independent films being made each year than there are now. In ten years, we have lost almost half of the industry, because no one wants to buy DVDs anymore when they can get it for free on streaming websites. Thank god Netflix came around, because we're just now starting to get back on track, as they actually pay for the content they show their costumers.

If you can't afford the watch UFC, an entertainment program, than you shouldn't be allowed to watch it. No where does it say you're entitled to spend your leisure time watching two men fight inside a cage. If you can't personally afford it, how is that their fault or problem? They aren't a charitable company trying to entertain for free - and if you don't think $50+ is a fair price, don't watch it. That's like me walking into a grocery store, seeing an apple, not agreeing with how much they are charging for the apple, so I just walk out with it instead.

Piracy is theft. Plain and simple. Nothing you say or do is going to justify it as something else.

lol film industry brought this apon themselves for being greedy ****s and making **** films. cinema complex companies are also to blame with their 10000% markup on popcorn and drinks and insane ticket prices. If people didn't honestly feel that it was a rip off to spend $75+ to take a date to a movie then obviously they'd go more.

You can't get mad at the consumers becoming aware of the **** that's been in their **** for so long and deciding they don't want it anymore. If an industry can't cater reasonable to their consumers needs they need to adapt or STFU about it

LMFAO That's one of your many troll accounts with a troll street that you don't even live on, Mr. Alex Jones AKA Cyber tough guy. And no you haven't been sending him "stuff" all day, poser.

klh4.jpg

yep keep on talking, I will keep on calling your bluff.

????

Princess Lacey <3

Yes, I am kinky.

LMFAO That's one of your many troll accounts with a troll street that you don't even live on, Mr. Alex Jones AKA Cyber tough guy. And no you haven't been sending him "stuff" all day, poser.

klh4.jpg

????

that would be my goddess, princess lacey.

LMFAO...You're a social engineering amusement park.

klh4.jpg

????

that would be my goddess, princess lacey.

LMFAO...You're a social engineering amusement park.

poor dopey you. Social engineering? I divulged that information long before you made your little post about doubting me. All l did was confirm what everyone here besides you already knew. Maybe you should actually learn what social engineering means. Its to make somebody divulge information the want kept in the dark. I already had this in the open, whoops try again

lol film industry brought this apon themselves for being greedy ****s and making **** films. cinema complex companies are also to blame with their 10000% markup on popcorn and drinks and insane ticket prices. If people didn't honestly feel that it was a rip off to spend $75+ to take a date to a movie then obviously they'd go more.

You can't get mad at the consumers becoming aware of the **** that's been in their **** for so long and deciding they don't want it anymore. If an industry can't cater reasonable to their consumers needs they need to adapt or STFU about it

So, let me get this straight; if you disagree with the price of something, it becomes OK to not pay for it? It's simply their fault for making it too expensive? And because prices are set at en executive level, we shouldn't pay attention to the people below that who go to work and do an honest day's labor and then need residual income to have a liveable wage? You may not know this, but a lot of money (the bulk in fact) comes on the back-end through residuals. Cinema, TV rights, home distribution sales; they all add up and help pay the bills in between gigs. And if the movies are, as you described "**** films" - than why would you want to see it? And how does quality even remotely impact moral or legality?

Using your logic, if I think a shovel isn't very good quality, and is simply too expensive, I should be able to walk into Home Depot, take one off the shelf, and walk out the store with it? Where is the logic in that? You are literally blaming the victim of theft of not making something good enough. Well obviously you think UFC produces a quality program, or you wouldn't be a fan. So how about this, pay for the goods and services you as a consumer want. You're not entitled to anything for free other than the air you breath and the freedom to try and work towards the things you need and want. If you can't afford it, if you don't like it, don't steal it. I assume you at some point in your life were taught about how stealing is wrong? Try to remember that basic life lesson.

As has been stated numerous times, the pirates and hackers will always be one step ahead. That's just the reality of the situation. It's the ultimate game of whack-a-mole; as soon as you stamp out one, another pops up in its place. It will be much harder for the UFC to shut down sites set up in certain foreign countries as well.

Op forgets the UFC has been STEALING from the fighters?

Research the ILLEGAL black mail contracts the UFC makes fighters sign,research why Jon Fitch was a big ordeal with Dana and why Lorenzo decided to get him back.

IMO Jon was an idiot,he had the opportunity to change EVERYTHING,but i feel he just wanted to be a possible champion in the big show.

IDK maybe he didn't have the money to fight big bad Zuffa but a good lawyer could have spun that as well,imo it would have been an EASY win and cost Zuffa multi millions from ALL contracts,maybe even shut them down,but most likely a settlement would ahve been arranged.

I have also wondered for a long time,if Zuffa has secured the rights to allow the fighters entrance music,that music is copyright music and Zuffa is making PROFIT using it for it's events,it is PART OF THE SHOW.

Also i don't think ANYONE is so naive to not realize the UFC is scamming the government of tax money ,therefor stealing from the people,so don't be so high n mighty acting like the UFC is goodey two shoes,they are more corrupt than the people watching streams.

I am totally surprised with the way the UFC has rubbed some people ,they have not yet been audited,their time is coming.

It's a balancing act between protecting intellectual property and public image. Regardless of right or wrong, a company will alienate people if it pursues copyright lawsuits too aggressively. Just because the UFC has the right to go after pirates, doesn't mean that it will always be the best decision in the long run.

I believe they made a mistake when they started going after individual viewers of illegal streams. Shutting down and/or suing the streaming sites is one thing, but going after individual users is another. I don't believe the damage they've done to their PR is worth the reduction in piracy for that one.

So, let me get this straight; if you disagree with the price of something, it becomes OK to not pay for it? It's simply their fault for making it too expensive? And because prices are set at en executive level, we shouldn't pay attention to the people below that who go to work and do an honest day's labor and then need residual income to have a liveable wage? You may not know this, but a lot of money (the bulk in fact) comes on the back-end through residuals. Cinema, TV rights, home distribution sales; they all add up and help pay the bills in between gigs. And if the movies are, as you described "**** films" - than why would you want to see it? And how does quality even remotely impact moral or legality?

Using your logic, if I think a shovel isn't very good quality, and is simply too expensive, I should be able to walk into Home Depot, take one off the shelf, and walk out the store with it? Where is the logic in that? You are literally blaming the victim of theft of not making something good enough. Well obviously you think UFC produces a quality program, or you wouldn't be a fan. So how about this, pay for the goods and services you as a consumer want. You're not entitled to anything for free other than the air you breath and the freedom to try and work towards the things you need and want. If you can't afford it, if you don't like it, don't steal it. I assume you at some point in your life were taught about how stealing is wrong? Try to remember that basic life lesson.

Only the person who actually "steals" the feed is guilty. The people who happen to see it on the internet aren't guilty.

evolve or die.The UFC and movie industry must change their business model or risk suffering the fate of the music industry. Right or wrong the technology is there to share/stream these events. Find a way to make the PPV more affordable and more desirable for the masses then streaming while the UFC is still popular. Wait too long and it will be too late.

Only the person who actually "steals" the feed is guilty. The people who happen to see it on the internet aren't guilty.

this. please explain how watching a link online which somebody else is streaming is the same as 'stealing a shovel from home depot' LMAO btw.

I'd say it's more like looking at the garden going **** I need a ****ing shovel. and walking around the block and seeing a shovel on the footpath, just left there for anyone to use, by some nice person who may have stolen it. Taking it home, and digging your ****ing garden. **** I'd even put it back after.

I wonder if you find it interesting that I read your entire last rant picturing a bad tux, top hat and a monocle and a pig costume. Capitalism ****ing disgusts me. my 'rights' as a human are to take advantage of any opportunity which presents itself to have a pleasant day.

**** your price tags. I'll decide what I choose to pay. if I don't like your mark up I'll look elsewhere for your product. if it's being shown for free somewhere that's insanely easy to access, you're damn right im going to watch, and I'm not going to feel guilty about it and mail you a god damn cheque afterwards.

/ rant

No, both parties are definitely guilty.

Should the UFC be going after the people watching? Eh, probably not, but that doesn't even remotely make them innocent in the whole thing.

Should the UFC be going after the people watching? Eh, probably not, but that doesn't even remotely make them innocent in the whole thing.

Really?! If you don't have the 60$ to watch the ppv and there's a website that are giving the fights free why not so if you see money on the floor your not gonna pick it up because its not yours gtfo here

Who gives a **** really but dana ad zuffa /thread

Archived