Melendez told to look elsewhere?

Identity

Comes in as Strikefroce LW Champ, losing a pretty close fight against the UFC LW Champ, beats Diego Sanchez in a damn entertaining outing - and then gets told to pack your bags? I get that Dana has his list of reps he does and doesn't like negotiating with, but come on man, this is ridiculous. I realize his fanbase isn't threatening to you, it's not like Gil is going to put Bellator on the map or anything, but this is a dude who's on your own top 15 P4P list. He can bring it to anyone at 155. And here's the real kicker about me defending him - I don't even like the guy. I think he's a punk, have since the whole brawl at the Strikeforce event years ago. But if I'm running a fight promotion, I wouldn't be so flippant about one of the best fighters in the world - who happens to bring an exciting dynamic to my deepest division.

Unless he's demanding "Anderson Silva money" I wouldn't make a play like telling the media he should look elsewhere.

...tomorrow the UFC announces it just signed Gilbert Melendez to a five fight contract. I don't put much stock in stuff like this. Sure, Gilbert might go elsewhere, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that his management and the UFC strike a deal and he stays. Dana White, as usual, is all bluster.

Oh god his manager is friends with GSP... well Dana is right he should probably find another manager. Anyone who associates with Grease is probably a scumbag like Firas and Roidy.

Yup. Biggest problem for Gil: His manager is GSP's best friend. Dana has his panties in a wad over anything GSP right now. Gil is about to be fighting in WSOF while Frank Mir gets his head knocked off three times a year for triple the money Melendez wants. That's comedy.

This is what happens when the UFC controls the monopoly,there is no bargaining,take it or leave it.

Even in a law suit,there is no bigger org or numbers to draw conclusions from.

The only thing one can look at is the books,see how much money the UFC is making and compare to other sports % of payouts.

IMO Lorenzo was lying through the teeth when he said they are comparable.

When a guy like Tito who was imo grossly over paid complains the UFC is not paying enough,you know they are making loads of dough and not paying back a FAIR share.

The UFC management thinks they are sliding by untouched and on top of the world,they should be VERY careful a lawsuit may be right around the corner.

Saw this on twitter!

I wonder if this is why Nate is being off aswell???

Gilbert has been in the ufc for what 2 days and wants a rise!

He probably doesn't want a raise. The UFC probably tried to **** him over like they did to Hendo. Made him take a cut of over 50%

hi

eat the poop ****

you meany

Saw this on twitter!

He probably doesn't want a raise. The UFC probably tried to **** him over like they did to Hendo. Made him take a cut of over 50%

hi

eat the poop ****

you meany

You need to do it so you can put that stage of your posting career behind you. Every elite level poster has a 0% welch rate

Saw this on twitter!

hi

eat the poop ****

you meany

You need to do it so you can put that stage of your posting career behind you. Every elite level poster has a 0% welch rate

But it's poop man

Saw this on twitter!

hi

eat the poop ****

you meany

But it's poop man

It's just stuff you've already eaten. Fill up on Pizza, take a dump in your hands and put on a blind fold and you'll never know the difference between Pepperoni and Pooperoni

Saw this on twitter!

hi

eat the poop ****

you meany

But it's poop man

It's just stuff you've already eaten. Fill up on Pizza, take a dump in your hands and put on a blind fold and you'll never know the difference between Pepperoni and Pooperoni

Lol

You're a vile human being

You guys act like Melendez is underpaid. He made $175k for losing to Bendo. It's not like his contract sucks. I agree that he could make more but his fanbase and merchandise sales figures probably don't justify a huge pay raise. We really don't know what his manager is demanding to know if it's outrageous or not.

He was paid a flat rate of 175K for each of his 2 fights in the UFC. His contract has since expired, and he lost both fights, so they prob tried cutting his pay down to something like 50K/50K.

Yes, fighter pay is low, but if you want more money, you have to win (and in exciting fashion). Considering this, it should not be surprising that so many fighters are doing anything possible (including the use of PED's) in not only in securing the win bonus, but also in acquiring leverage come time for contract renewal.

Too bad for Melendez, but because of the losses, he doesn't have a foot to stand on (in demanding the same or more pay).

He was paid a flat rate of 175K for each of his 2 fights in the UFC. His contract has since expired, and he lost both fights, so they prob tried cutting his pay down to something like 50K/50K.

Yes, fighter pay is low, but if you want more money, you have to win (and in exciting fashion). Considering this, it should not be surprising that so many fighters are doing anything possible (including the use of PED's) in not only in securing the win bonus, but also in acquiring leverage come time for contract renewal.

Too bad for Melendez, but because of the losses, he doesn't have a foot to stand on (in demanding the same or more pay).

He beat Sanchez in a war he's only lost to Bendo and he should have got the nod

What are you talking about? Melendez is 1-1 in the UFC and his only loss was a controversial split decision.

He won both of those fights dude.

Screen_shot_2012-02-10_at_11.25.26_PM.png

What are you talking about? Melendez is 1-1 in the UFC and his only loss was a controversial split decision.

Oops. Disregard. :\"> But he still is only batting at 50%, and I'm sure that was used as leverage by the UFC.

Screen_shot_2012-02-10_at_11.25.26_PM.png

Lol I'd never get tired of punching that face

Dana needs to understand its not him that we watch the UFC for its the fighters and letting go top talent like this only makes the UFC weaker. Im hoping another organization can pick up the pace on top talent like Bellator and start replacing UFC as #1 mma cuz this is ridiculous.

He shouldn't be asking for more money but it would be kinda gross of UFC to not honor his original contract even if he did lose it was to the former champion and it was controversial.

The thing is Gil does have the talent to become champion and he's a very exciting fighter that comes to put on a show. It would be a shame to see him go haggling over a little bit of change.

Archived