Overeem is ready for Lesnar, but "not ready to discuss a fight" with JDS at this time.

BeLikeWater

That's right...According to Alistairoid Testostereem, he's not running from anyone. He says he's on holiday and rehabbing injuries so he's not ready to discuss a fight at this time...Except for calling out Brock.

https://twitter.com/MMAFTR/status/433794929379516416/photo/1

Twitter going bananas! Not running for anyone, on holiday right now & also rehabbing injuries so not ready to discuss a fight at this time.

— Alistair Overeem (@Alistairovereem) February 13, 2014

Alistair got offered a main event against JDS in Brazil and he turned it down.

Alistair got offered a co-main event against JDS in Vegas and turned it down.

Safe to say he wants nothing to do with JDS, which basically means he doesn't have the confidence to fight the top guys in the division. Lets be honest, Cain and JDS would destroy him.

He's a kickboxing world champion.. In terms of pure striking he's much more well rounded than JDS. Don't know what's been up with reem as of late but when he wants to be, he's a killer on the feet.

He is but his glaring weakness is the B button. Just spam B over and over and he goes down like a 2 dollar hooker.

Too much goes against Overeem in this fight his defence especially when tired is bad he keeps his hands way low and doesn't have the chin to do it and he gasses where as JDS can go 5 rounds and can take one hell of a beating and has crazy power I'd be surprised if Overeem made it out the 2nd.

I'd like to see Hunt KO Overeem if this fight doesn't get made tho.

He is scared of JDS. He knows if he fought him JDS would knock his head off his shoulders. He's been ducking him for about 2 years now. He isn't going to do well against the top HW fighters. Cain and JDS would absolutely destroy him. Watching Overeem fight without taking steroids, how can someone honestly say that he would even have a chance against JDS with Overeems glass chin vs JDS power.

Dos Santos via KO rd.1

Well if he don't start busting his **** in the gym again he ain't beating JDS and I think he knows that

This dude is quickly pissing off everyone in the MMA world

Where does he train really?..who's pushing him?...no one

He does not want the title as bad JDS or the others and that's holding him back

Well if he don't start busting his **** in the gym again he ain't beating JDS and I think he knows that

Not even a Alisteroid would stand a chance in hell against JDS

Not even a Alisteroid would stand a chance in hell against JDS

A well trained motivated one has a damn good chance

But we have not seen one of those in a long time from Reem

He'd rather chill on the beach and get a tan....I question his blackness @carnage41

I can't say as though I blame Reem in the slightest. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's not Dana's favorite fighter, and if he went out and lost in a high profile bout with JDS, that might be all the reasoning needed to cut him in certain people's eyes (or at least greatly reduce what he could demand in negotiations). Is it the brave thing for him to do? Absolutely not. And if I'm speaking plainly, it's not the "fighter" thing to do either. But at 33, he needs to start thinking about the end of his career, and financially, he probably wants to milk his time in UFC for as much money as possible. A quick KO loss isn't going to help his position in the company or his balance sheet.

Besides, who needs Reem, just ask Chael, he'll fight JDS.

I can't say as though I blame Reem in the slightest. I don't think it's a stretch to say he's not Dana's favorite fighter, and if he went out and lost in a high profile bout with JDS, that might be all the reasoning needed to cut him in certain people's eyes (or at least greatly reduce what he could demand in negotiations). Is it the brave thing for him to do? Absolutely not. And if I'm speaking plainly, it's not the "fighter" thing to do either. But at 33, he needs to start thinking about the end of his career, and financially, he probably wants to milk his time in UFC for as much money as possible. A quick KO loss isn't going to help his position in the company or his balance sheet.

Reem has a lot of money making options...I doubt he's too worried bout Dana cutting him

Reem should have a lot more losses in him til being cut...he did just beat a former champ...even if Mir ain't what he used to be

That being said Dana better be careful...Glory has a lot of potential and if the pay gets going he may lose some guys...or adleast guys will not fear being cut as much as they used to

I'm ok with him saying he will never fight JDS. The problem is he talked about this fight 70 times but when it can actually happen, he backs off with BS excuses.

Reem has a lot of money making options...I doubt he's too worried bout Dana cutting him

Reem should have a lot more losses in him til being cut...he did just beat a former champ...even if Mir ain't what he used to be

That being said Dana better be careful...Glory has a lot of potential and if the pay gets going he may lose some guys...or adleast guys will not fear being cut as much as they used to

Actually Reem is 2-1 against former HW Champions since he showed up in UFC. Not too shabby when you think about it. Never the less, he has demonstrated he can be a little difficult to work with (plus his failed drug test). And now, a reluctance to get out there and fight who Dana says to? The President of UFC does not like hearing no from people, and we've all seen he can hold grudges.

As for Glory and their partnership with ONE Fighting? I don't think UFC has anything to worry about for a long time from them. If anything, Bellator is in a better position to become something of a "#2" promotion in the world, but even they are so far behind the leader it's more like there is #1, and then the pool. Without serious backing, and some very crucial marketing and image branding, no other promotion can even begin to threaten UFC's stranglehold of the sport. I mean, my goodness, most people stare blankly at you if you say MMA - it's UFC in their eyes. The entire sport begins and ends with UFC as far as they are concerned. It's like how Kleenex has become a blanket term for any facial tissue regardless of brand.

I'm ok with him saying he will never fight JDS. The problem is he talked about this fight 70 times but when it can actually happen, he backs off with BS excuses.

He can't very well say he will never fight him. He might as well hang a banner behind him saying "not a real fighter" if he did that. If he plays it off by saying not right now, he can still make empty challenges to Brock, get some of the less fervent MMA fans thinking he is still tough and maybe it's Brock who's running scared (I doubt most people know WWE & UFC don't want him doing two things at once). Get a few wins under his belt against some lower ranked fighters - get him on a streak of let's say 2 more. Suddenly he's riding a 3 fight win streak with wins over 2 former Heavyweight Champs. NOW he can be marketed to fans as a legit beast - even if those who follow the sport much closer can see through this rather transparent attempt to boost his appearance, it will still sell to a LOT of fight fans, especially if he has flashy KO finishes.

I get that he's bringing this down on himself, but he's not trying to win over people who visit MMA sites everyday, he is trying to convince Joe-Six-Pack to invite his buddies over and watch him cause he's so unstoppable.

A fight with Lesner would make him more money.

It's a business.

You hit the nail on the head. It's a **** move to call out Lesnar and decline the fight against JDS, but Reem is out to make money, folks. Look at the PPV numbers from the Lesnar cards. Then look at the numbers JDS brings in. Plain and simple. Reem can KO a can or he can fight JDS, all for the same amount of money. Would YOU want to fight someone like Gabriel Gonzaga or Dave Herman? Or would you choose JDS if you're getting paid the same either way? Seems like an easy call for me.

Let's be honest too... Reem knows he'll get KO'ed and then his title shot is derailed. Why not make as much money as you can before you're proven to be a fraud and chased off from the UFC?

I don't get why people are all that surprised. He has some of the worst cardio in the HW division (and that's saying something) coupled with the fact that he has next to no chin. He has a 3 minute window in the first round to finish Junior. I can't say I respect it but I damn sure understand it lol

Archived