Some disturbing news

SavageTC

So it turns out crocodiles can actually climb trees

030737-0ca4ca4e-9453-11e3-9662-9a1903baed4f.jpg

DROP bears may not be real worry, but what about drop crocs?

Crocodiles can climb trees, and disturbingly, even high fences, according to a new study.

An international team of researchers, including an Australian scientist, has compiled a report on the largely unknown climbing abilities of crocodile and alligator species around the world.

The study, recently published in science journal Herpetology Notes, found climbing behaviour is common among crocodilians, which may function as a way of gaining a better vantage point for finding prey, or getting to a basking area with maximum sun exposure.

Northern Territory based researcher Dr Adam Britton, from Charles Darwin University, has witnessed some freshwater crocodiles 1.5m long climbing steep riverbanks, and even attempting to scale a 1.8m high chain-link fence.

“Crocodiles don’t just sit on the bank and bask in the water, and occasionally go for a bit of a wander,’’ he said.

“They’re actually really quite agile creatures and they’re a lot more agile than we think.”

Saltwater crocodiles, which are far more dangerous than their freshwater cousins, have thankfully only exhibited climbing behaviour in their hatchling stage, becoming too heavy to shift their body weight into high places as they grow older.

Dr Britton said hatchlings of both species of Australian crocodiles were lightweight, with their relatively strong claws allowing them to climb brickwork — the cause of occasional crocodile farm escapes.

“Most crocodile farmers are aware how easy it is for crocodiles to escape from their enclosures,’’ he said.

“If you have a small enclosure with lots of baby crocodiles, for example, and if it’s made of brick or rough concrete, you have to put a lid on it, or an overhang on it because otherwise, those animals will be out.”

The researchers suggested the climbing behaviour may provide the reptiles with a better way of basking, or surveying their habitat.

Dr Britton said some crocodiles he had spotted climbing trees, when they were approached by boats, they readily fell into the water as a means of escape.

Townsville based wildlife consultant “Ranger” Dan Bamblett said was familiar with climbing behaviour in crocodile hatchlings.

“I’ve seen that sort behaviour in hatchlings, when they’re kept in a pretty small enclosure, and I suppose the drive to get out is pretty high,’’ he said.

Mr Bamblett, who had worked in zoos in the US, said he had observed adult Cuban crocodiles climbing trees.

“They climb so well into trees overhanging the waters where they live to get a good basking spot, sometimes they end up over six feet over the water’s surface,’’ he said.

“You could be walking along and have a crocodile at head height.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/crocs-can-scale-trees-and-fences/story-fncynjr2-1226827030792

lol imagine going on one of those "swamp tours" and then all of a sudden a crocodile drops from a tree into the boat

I think its pretty obvious we're doomed now. At least in Australia

Seriously we have to deal with drop bears, jumping spiders, flying snakes and now tree climbing ****ing crocodiles!!!!.....

Well sh*t... here I am thinking I just had to worry about crossing rivers.

giphy.gif

I used to do that on my way to school..... barefoot...... in the snow

Couldn't afford a kangaroo to ride

dude you shouldve just gotten a wombat sled like the rest of us. not the fastest transport but easily the best navigators in the marsupial world

Well sh*t... here I am thinking I just had to worry about crossing rivers.

giphy.gif

I used to do that on my way to school..... barefoot...... in the snow

Couldn't afford a kangaroo to ride

dude you shouldve just gotten a wombad sled like the rest of us. not the fastest transport but easily the best navigators in the marsupial world

We had one but the wombat was old and was only to be used in emergencies, like when we ran out of winnie blues.

They are good at fishing too. One time I was dingo sledding across the nullarbor and came across a mystical creek that aboriginal tribes usually keep hidden using black magic, however they hit the tinnes hard the night before and forgot to cover it up. The place stank of stale vb and empties were strewn everywhere. So I'm following the river to see where it leads, come around the corner and there's three ****in crocs sittin there havin a yarn with a fishing rod each in one... claw? and a coldie in the other! They've got stacks of freshly caught barra and I'm thinkin "**** me!" nek minit these toothy bastards spot me and start runnin after me so I speed off with me dingoes in full flight, these crocs are gaining fast, so I throw a tazzie devil at them, you know, as a decoy so I can get away. I always keep one handy for close encounters such as this, vicious little bastards are like a hand grenade of fur and teeth. So I throw this thing and it tears them all a new **** hole whilst I made my getaway. Not sure who won the fight in the end I didn't look back but it sure was a remarkable tale to tell my grandkids one day.

aligoaters are p4p

salt water crocks use gaytors to pick their teeth free of annoying human meat that gets stuck there for weeks

sure but crocs dont have the word GOAT in them. AliGOATors do

I think you were sleeping the day they taught kids how to spell.

And for the record Crocs > Gators

aligoaters are p4p

salt water crocks use gaytors to pick their teeth free of annoying human meat that gets stuck there for weeks

sure but crocs dont have the word GOAT in them. AliGOATors do

I think you were sleeping the day they taught kids how to spell.

And for the record Crocs > Goators

fixed

I won't be disturbed until they start swimming from Australia to California.

It did mention that Cuban crocodiles also climb, so by my calculations Florida will be completely overrun in 6 days. Its only a matter of time...

Not with this GOAT standing watch.

justified-s5e1-jean-baptiste.jpg

That's badass. I never knew they could climb trees although in that pic it's like a nest of low trees by the river bank which i could see them doing that but not singular trees.

I wonder if alligators also share that trait. I've been around swamp tours and fishing in the bayous and never seen any gators perched up in trees like that.

Archived