How stupid is it to let Nr 14 on the P4P list go to another promotion?

MIRKO_CRO_GOD

UFC is not concerned with having and promoting the highest caliber of fighters - merely the most popular and marketable. I'm afraid Gil was neither of those. Hence, he is dispensable. At least in terms of benefit to the bottom line on the UFC's income statement.

and would be very marketable in a market where you are wanting to get in(mexico)? - from the OP

don't you think he would be great to get into those countries?

imagine Cain defending the title in mexico. that would already be huge. BUT if you add PETTIS vs MELENDEZ onto that or onto the next card. it could blow up in mexico

imagine Cain defending the title in mexico. that would already be huge. BUT if you add PETTIS vs MELENDEZ onto that or onto the next card. it could blow up in mexico

I think we can all safely agree, this isn't a threat to UFC that Bellator has Melendez. And even if, by some strange series of events Bellator grows to be anything that remotely resembles a threat to them - they'll simply buy them out and wait for the next well funded promotion to gain traction. Rinse and repeat.

It goes to show u how much Dana likes to low ball fighters when a second promo can out bid them

I would like to see more fighter leave for where the top dollar is at just to promote equal pay

Maybe some of you Zuffa Zombies will now understand try fighters do need a union

I don't care if they have a union and neither does anyone here. You'd need the stars that are making the lions share of the total purse to agree to give up some of their profit to the lower tier fighters and they are not going to do that.

Pretty dumb. Gil would have to ask for A LOT to get the boot in my book. And if a rival company is offering it to him then he either isn't asking for as much as DW says or Bellator knows the value of fighters like Gil.

I think they were aiming to bolster the only division that actually has some depth over there at Bellator. That's why they were willing to spend more than they normally do. It would surprise me if Gil was asking for astronomical amounts of money, but the guy has never been stopped. He's only lost a split decision in the UFC. Bad move by Dana and co, but does that really surprise any of us anymore?

I see no problem letting no 14 in P4P join another promotion. The Mexican fans would fill any venue with or without Melendez. It is not like he is no one or two in the list or a former UFC champ.For me he is not as exciting as some other fighters in the UFC.

On a side note any organization with monopoly will end up to some degrees of abusing their power and employees and UFC and Dana are not exceptions.

PS: what type of poll is that Mirko? there is no option except degrees of dumbness to choose. what about the members who do not think this move is dumb at all .

Personally, I don't care if Gilbert walks. 1-1 in the UFC and he was nearly finished by Diego. In his last Strikeforce fight Thomson handled him pretty easily and got robbed of that fight. Gilbert makes pretty good money in the UFC. $175k to lose to Bendo and who knows what his win bonus is. If money is his issue he should consider winning a couple fights before he is worth as much as he thinks he is. He's just another Cesar Gracie diva to me.

Personally, I don't care if Gilbert walks. 1-1 in the UFC and he was nearly finished by Diego. In his last Strikeforce fight Thomson handled him pretty easily and got robbed of that fight. Gilbert makes pretty good money in the UFC. $175k to lose to Bendo and who knows what his win bonus is. If money is his issue he should consider winning a couple fights before he is worth as much as he thinks he is. He's just another Cesar Gracie diva to me.

Wait, he made $175K to lose to Bendo?? Then he must have made a good amount for his win against Diego Sanchez, plus he got a $60K bonus for FOTN, what the **** was he asking for?

Maybe he was asking for dat Georges St Pierre money.

If $175K isn't enough for Gil, then he could just go to Bellator. What an **** clown.

Wait, he made $175K to lose to Bendo?? Then he must have made a good amount for his win against Diego Sanchez, plus he got a $60K bonus for FOTN, what the **** was he asking for?

Maybe he was asking for dat Georges St Pierre money.

If $175K isn't enough for Gil, then he could just go to Bellator. What an **** clown.

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/04/ufc-on-fox-7-salaries-benson-henderson-frank-mir-earn-biggest-fight-purses/

Bendo made $200k to win. Gilbert made $175k to lose.

If he is looking for bigger pay days he is just being a ****ing diva. I don't know what makes those Cesar Gracie puppets such divas. Maybe its all the reefer.

I miss Dan Hardy and his perfect striking

OT it's stupid if it happens they are supposedly the premier organisation so they should be able to match and beat Bellators offer. I remember people getting mad coz Aoki didn't come over I was one of them but he's handling much lesser competition in his home country where he's a star for the same or more money than the UFC was willing to offer him supposedly so I can see why.

Archived