UFC makes more than 500 million a year.

zaksame

Well if they held 33 events at around 1.75-3 million in payouts that would be somewhere around 100 million tops.So they are paying their athletes 20% tops of the total revenue and that of course is not assuming the UFC is making more under the table just as the fighters are.

When Lorenzo was asked about the UFC paying comparable salaries to other sports he immediately said yes with confidence.Other sports are paying 40-60% ,so the UFC is no where near close to the same revenue sharing,it is more like GREED 101.Even if you figure in 100k overhead per event and again not including other revenue sources,that still does not sway the numbers anywhere close to what they should be.

Anti trust??black mail contracts?Monopoly?

Whenever I see this conversation, you guys discuss it under the incorrect assumption that all of the money goes to the Zuffa HQ and the fighters.

They have to give PPV their cut.

They have give the venue their cut.

They pay event staff to set up and tear down the octagon, run the cameras, lighting, music.

They have to pay record labels fee's to use their music for walkout songs, ect.

They pay the city/state to have police on site.

They pay local/state/federal taxes.

They pay all of the Zuffa employees.

Fighters definitely need to be paid more, but its not as black and white as you guys make it seem.

Whenever I see this conversation, you guys discuss it under the incorrect assumption that all of the money goes to the Zuffa HQ and the fighters.

They pay event staff to set up and tear down the octagon, run the cameras, lighting, music.

Fighters definitely need to be paid more, but its not as black and white as you guys make it seem.

Mate forget logic, appreciate Zaksame and his all knowing posts. Clearly we do not see the bigger picture and he is our oracle, like the Jesus of MMA forums

Mate forget logic, appreciate Zaksame and his all knowing posts. Clearly we do not see the bigger picture and he is our oracle, like the Jesus of MMA forums

Zak is a squishy faced re-re. He calls people out for point fighting in one thread and then gargles GSP's balls in the next.

between all the PPVs I bought, hooters/buff wild wings i've been to, and even all the hits i've given this website i have easily given $1,000+ to UFC alone. the money is churning into the company, and there is definitely a lot coming out too, but they have fixed costs at one point and at this point they have to be making an insane profit. the CEO is a certified BILLIONAIRE...it's pretty obvious there's a huge excess of money coming in, and a lot of that has to do with having a monopoly where they bought out companies like SF and PRIDE.

don't get me wrong, UFC is the best, and they earned it all. i just think at this point there should be some sort of union or better profit sharing system. just imagine if MLB or NFL was run like a corporation. it's a universal sport and the UFC is the major leagues so they might as well get rid of all the questions people have on total percent given to the fighters

i'll also add that the burden here lies with the fighters. way too many people put the blame on DW, but truthfully it's a lot more difficult to give away your money when you are in the position. the fighters have all the reason in the world to stop this **** at some point and unionize.

why don't they?

However much the UFC spends in order to put on events, whoever they have to give big stacks of cash to just to run daily operations, no matter how they try to explain it, I will never stop shaking my head when I see a guy on the prelims put on an unbelievable performance and be rewarded with the equally unbelievable sum of $4,000, while a guy on the main card gets bludgeoned in 45 seconds, and banks $400,000.

However much the UFC spends in order to put on events, whoever they have to give big stacks of cash to just to run daily operations, no matter how they try to explain it, I will never stop shaking my head when I see a guy on the prelims put on an unbelievable performance and be rewarded with the equally unbelievable sum of $4,000, while a guy on the main card gets bludgeoned in 45 seconds, and banks $400,000.

It's because I paid 60 bucks to watch cans like overeem get bludgeoned. I'd pass on paying to watch some can I don't know get bludgeoned.

That's how I feel, these guys aren't getting paid like professional athletes generally do. Even though I have no idea where Zaksame got his numbers from, his point lies true. The UFC does not pay their fighters the way other organizations do.

You're insane if you really think there's only $100,000 per event in overhead. That's a laughably low number when you consider travel & accommodation (fighters, corners, UFC staff), production, building rental, setup, taxes, athletic commission fees, etc.

Building rental? I would think there is a bidding war to host the events.

You're insane if you really think there's only $100,000 per event in overhead. That's a laughably low number when you consider travel & accommodation (fighters, corners, UFC staff), production, building rental, setup, taxes, athletic commission fees, etc.

You think Mandalay Bay pays the UFC to have their events there?

i'll also add that the burden here lies with the fighters. way too many people put the blame on DW, but truthfully it's a lot more difficult to give away your money when you are in the position. the fighters have all the reason in the world to stop this **** at some point and unionize.

why don't they?

They don't stop it because they don't want to give up a large portion of their money to nobodies who in no way help draw in money. They are just there for the opportunity to show they are top talent, most of them aren't. If they are worth it they will get their money in a short amount of time, the rest of them need to find a real job and stop chasing a dream.

That's how I feel, these guys aren't getting paid like professional athletes generally do. Even though I have no idea where Zaksame got his numbers from, his point lies true. The UFC does not pay their fighters the way other organizations do.

Like other organizations? Bellator? War MMA? WSOF?

I hope your not comparing other sports, like say basketball. A team will play 80+ games per season. Depending on the team they draw in 3 million to 5 million dollars per game. And that is just for one team.

So if fighters want to make that kind of money, they better start fighting once a week and sometimes twice a week.

Or they could jack up the ppv price a couple thousand dollars.

You think Mandalay Bay pays the UFC to have their events there?

Yes.

SF was starting to pay fighters HUGE money and that's why UFC bought them out. They realized there's a lot of guys who would want to leave if a high profile company was offering salaries like that.

I still think they need to stop spending their money on buying out other companies trying to make it. Either...

1. go the route of NFL, MLB, etc. and be the "big leagues" and open up what you're making (which they definitely don't want to do because there is a TON of money that the top guys are keeping for themselves) or...

2. stop being a monopoly and let the free market open up so other higher level companies could emerge. there's a lot of quality fighters right now and a 20X bigger market than 10 years ago, so just let other companies come up and give fighters a chance at where they want to fight. if you truly are the best and treat your employees the best, they'll stay with you. the problem is that they have a monopoly and that makes them think they could strip benefits and power from the fighters, and the fighters don't have much recourse because there is a monopoly and the UFC is the only high profile MMA company

SF was starting to pay fighters HUGE money and that's why UFC bought them out. They realized there's a lot of guys who would want to leave if a high profile company was offering salaries like that.

Or, more accurately, Strikeforce was starting to pay fighters huge money that they couldn't afford, because they weren't bringing in enough to cover those salaries, and had to be sold before its investors lost anymore money.

If Strikeforce was doing well, its investors wouldn't have sold.

Archived