Hype trains that recently ran out of steam. Promoting NEW gatekeepers for 2014.

najma

Maia - he found his concrete ceiling in Shields who outgrappled him and MacDonald who oustriked him. The Maia Express has been derailed and he will not ever get a title shot at WW.

Current status: gatekeeper (NEW!)

Benavidez - destroyed by Johnson again. He will play the second Fiddle until he meets Dodson who will push him even further down the ladder.

Current status: "Kenny Florian", perennial top-5er

Benderson - destroyed by Pettis again. He needed luck to defend his title, he would need even more luck to get it back.

Current status: "Rashad Evans", the used-to-be-champ perennial top-5er

Patrick Cummins - destroyed by Corny.

Current status: pizza delivery service, gatekeeper at the pizza house

Any further hype trains to be derailed soon?

Any new gatekeepers emerging?

1. JDS - is someone I could unfortunately see falling in to this category I really think he can best all I the division bar Cain and as long as he is champ second place is the best I can see for Junior.

2.Bader - Ryan is in a very different LHW division than he started in with new top Contenders like Gustafsson, Cormier and Teixiera I see him being someone who will remain on the fringes of contender status with out being able to break back in.#

Gonna take a risk with number 3

3.Rory Macdonald - I've thought for a while that Rory tends to lack killer instinct in a fight which can be his own downfall but I think the thing that will stop Rory this year are the 3 men in front of him in Hendricks, Lawlor, and Condit. Also with the likes of Woodley and Lombard looking for a big year. I see this being a year Rory will fall just short of a title shot but will still be firmly challenging for it.

@Jolldan

JDS - I agree. If it's not going to be Cain, then any other complete HW fighter who will enter the UFC will also destroy him. It would've been Cormier had he stayed at HW.

Bader - he was never that good to begin with. He will never even be close of being a contender. I doubt he can string 3 wins together if he's fighting top 10 guys.

MacDonald - you forgot that he almost beat Condit, when he was much younger and inexperienced. As of today, he would beat Condit easily. Lawler, Condit, Woodley are over 30yo, with Rory being only 24. Most likely he will all catch them when they're past their prime. His time will come, and then he will be both at his prime and the most experienced welterweight.

Pat Cummins? Wait did people actually think he stood a chance?
Didn't they? Of course they did. ZUFFA hype machine does miracles. They also made people think WMMA is a serious sport and that Honda is UFC's biggest star and P4P 2nd best fighter or sth like that.

@Jolldan

JDS - I agree. If it's not going to be Cain, then any other complete HW fighter who will enter the UFC will also destroy him. It would've been Cormier had he stayed at HW.

Bader - he was never that good to begin with. He will never even be close of being a contender. I doubt he can string 3 wins together if he's fighting top 10 guys.

MacDonald - you forgot that he almost beat Condit, when he was much younger and inexperienced. As of today, he would beat Condit easily. Lawler, Condit, Woodley are over 30yo, with Rory being only 24. Most likely he will all catch them when they're past their prime. His time will come, and then he will be both at his prime and the most experienced welterweight.

yeah I could see McDonald possibly winning the title but I think he still needs time maybe two more years and we will see a fully developed McDonald. Dude needs to learn to bring the pain though haha

@Jolldan

yeah I could see McDonald possibly winning the title but I think he still needs time maybe two more years and we will see a fully developed McDonald. Dude needs to learn to bring the pain though haha

Kelvin will be lightyears ahead of Rory by 2015. He actually has a little something called a "heart."

@Jolldan

Kelvin will be lightyears ahead of Rory by 2015. He actually has a little something called a "heart."

Really? I seen the finale with Uriah Hall very unimpressive

Didn't they? Of course they did. ZUFFA hype machine does miracles. They also made people think WMMA is a serious sport and that Honda is UFC's biggest star and P4P 2nd best fighter or sth like that.

Lol no one here thought Patrick had a chance higher than 5%

Lol no one here thought Patrick had a chance higher than 5%5% chance is chance.

@Jolldan

He was raw as hell and fought a guy far bigger than him who also just happened to have one of the meanest KOs of all time on TUF. The fact that he won that fight against a sizeable/more experienced MW when he is clearly a WW speaks volumes about his heart and determination.

Now that he's at his rightful weight class he's been popping fools heads off. Hell he was wrecking the whole rest of the TUF MWs before he had that ONE decision against Hall.

Killer instinct goes a long way in my book. A lot of guys at the top have comparable skills, and many times it is the intangibles like heart/will/determination that decide fights.

@Jolldan

He was raw as hell and fought a guy far bigger than him who also just happened to have one of the meanest KOs of all time on TUF. The fact that he won that fight against a sizeable/more experienced MW when he is clearly a WW speaks volumes about his heart and determination.

Now that he's at his rightful weight class he's been popping fools heads off. Hell he was wrecking the whole rest of the TUF MWs before he had that ONE decision against Hall.

Killer instinct goes a long way in my book. A lot of guys at the top have comparable skills, and many times it is the intangibles like heart/will/determination that decide fights.

Ill take your word you know when his next fight is? have to keep a look out.

@Jolldan

Ill take your word you know when his next fight is? have to keep a look out.

UFC 171 against Rick Story. It'll be a Bed time Story because Rick is either getting choked out or KOd.

lol and they made you think Rory is good by calling him the new GSP, even though you have watched him fight.

Selling wolf tickets is their business, and business is booming in Canada.

Rory will be a gatekeeper. His striking isn't good and he has no power. His wrestling is terrible, he got single legged by a gassed, out of prime Maia. Even Anderson stuffed all of his takedowns.

Rory will get smoked by anyone that isn't smaller or a complete can.

Lol no one here thought Patrick had a chance higher than 5%5% chance is chance.

Meh. In the fight business, 5% is what you call a miracle. A WW has 5% chance of beating a LHW.

Erick Silva- never beats anyone who is relevant

Benavidez- beats guys like Formiga, uneyonama and gets praised and then gets knocked out in round 1 by Johnson

Faber- as much as I like Faber, he to can never win a belt anymore, the two UFC shots he's gotten he got beat and the WEC shot he got vs Aldo he got destroyed in, so I think he will always be in 2nd place.

Archived