Belfort proves TRT IS IMPORTANT for fighters' health.

najma

So Vitor Belfort withdrew from the championship he so dreamt of and he worked sooo hard to get to.

Now stop and think what this means.

It means that without the TRT, and so with too low a level of testosterone, his body is not able to compete at his normal, optimum level to a point where it's not just compromising his performance, but makes him unable to perform in a demanding physical contest that is MMA.

We know that Belfort used steroids and this might be responsible for his low T levels. So that's fair play here. But what's with all the other fighters? It is known that repeated head trauma leads do decrease in testosterone production. And this is obviously the problem of MMA fighters like any other group of athletes, apart from boxers as well. (Of course, there are other reasons for having low testosterone levels in your body).

Is it ok to ban a therapy that helps athletes overcome health issues caused by the sport they do?

Every kind of proffesional sport ruins the athlete's body in a different way. Take winter sports e.g.:

"Exercise-induced asthma has been diagnosed in as many as half of all elite cross-country skiers and almost as many world-class ice skaters and hockey players."

But nobody denies those athletes asthma treatment, whereas nobody would complain if it were banned for MMA fighters.

Fans kept making fun of that issue so much they started believing that TRT is used to by healthy men to gain inhuman powers, whereas it's used by sickly fighters to be healthy.

Vitor Belfort is a fantastic fighter with awesome skills, that's why he keeps winning in spectacular fashion. The TRT didn't make Frank Mir or Forrest Griffin do the same, did it?

Like I said, it's fine to deny it to a former steroid abuser like Belfort, but it's not ethical to deny it to a fighter like Frank Mir, who's been pounded on his head 10,000 times in his career and can bearly utter a fluent sentence because of accumulated head trauma.

Very soon, young fighters with long careers, like Stephan Struve will be infertile well before their 30yo and they won't be able to get medical help. This is sad.

classic case of some idiots ruining it for everyone else who was legit in using it

There is no legitimate use for it. The use of TRT is solely for performance enhancing.

"The way I look at these things is this: Jon Jones has an 84ins reach. I want an 84ins reach, let's make it fair. But we can't do that. We are all physically different. Live with it." - Travis Browne

Michael Bisping on the TRT ban: So TRT is now officially banned in Nevada. U could argue I only have one loss on my record. After I beat Kennedy I want my shot at the title

Stefan Struve on the TRT ban: Great decision by the NAC to ban TRT, big step forward for our sport. Lets see who don't want to fight in Vegas anymore now.

Ike Vallie-Flagg on the TRT ban: I'm already chewing on bulls testicles seeing what that does to my test levels

And: Sweet no TRT? Now if they could only detect the steroids that some people are obviously on!!!!

War Machine ‏@WarMachine170

@MMARoasted since TRT is banned in the @ufc does that mean that Dana has to go too?

And more fighter reactions here:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/27/5454596/pro-fighters-react-to-trt-ban-in-nevada

"The way I look at these things is this: Jon Jones has an 84ins reach. I want an 84ins reach, let's make it fair. But we can't do that. We are all physically different. Live with it." - Travis Browne
Stupidest attempt at an analogy ever.

I hope whenever Browne catches a flue he's denied any sort of medication, including vitamine C (and all other vitamins athletes eat like candy).

Low vitamine C? Live with it! (and die)

I think Belfort should have still took the fight someone who has been fighting 15+ years should know how to get themselves in to shape without the use of enhancements. Even if Vitor somehow gets the next title shot what's he's gonna say "Oh bye the way I can only fight for and defend the title in Brazil".

Its a real pity cause I think Belfort is an amazing fighter and had the best chance of anyone to become the UFC's first triple crown champion against Weidman but he may have permanently blew it now.

Just a side note I'm sure when Forrest used TRT it was for his fight against Silva that should be an ad against TRT in itself haha

Stupidest attempt at an analogy ever.

I hope whenever Browne catches a flue he's denied any sort of medication, including vitamine C (and all other vitamins athletes eat like candy).

Low vitamine C? Live with it! (and die)

No, it's not. You're just being a retarded idiot.

I think Belfort should have still took the fight someone who has been fighting 15+ years should know how to get themselves in to shape without the use of enhancements.
Lol, that's so ignorant and foolish to say.

Who says Belfort can't get himself in shape? That's so stupid. Of course he can, otherwise he wouldn't be an athlete. But we're talking PROFESSIONAL SPORTS on the HIGHEST LEVEL, where you're either at THE BEST SHAPE OUT OF 7 BILLION PEOPLE or you lose.

And that he cannot achieve with testosterone deficiency, because of how crucial of an element inside a man's body it is.

I think Belfort should have still took the fight someone who has been fighting 15+ years should know how to get themselves in to shape without the use of enhancements.
Lol, that's so ignorant and foolish to say.

Who says Belfort can't get himself in shape? That's so stupid. Of course he can, otherwise he wouldn't be an athlete. But we're talking PROFESSIONAL SPORTS on the HIGHEST LEVEL, where you're either at THE BEST SHAPE OUT OF 7 BILLION PEOPLE or you lose.

And that he cannot achieve with testosterone deficiency, because of how crucial of an element inside a man's body it is.

The way I look at dude and does annoy cause I like Vitor but if this is the way there going with TRT that It will be getting banned then there's no way round it. He still had two months of training I just cant agree with his decision to drop the fight. If he was injured then yeah I could understand. Correct me if I'm wrong will he not now only be eligible for fights in Brazil if he wants to continue use of his TRT?

If he can't achieve that without pumping his body full of steroids, maybe, just maybe, that means he's not meant to compete anymore.

If he can't achieve that without pumping his body full of steroids, maybe, just maybe, that means he's not meant to compete anymore.

This is the whole point. Your body produces this stuff at certain rates at certain times. You shouldn't **** with it unless you have an actual medical condition that a doctor thinks warrants the therapy.

the fact that he immediately started saying that he would drop TRT just proves that he never really needed it. The only way he could've kept his credibility in this whole story is if he withdrew from the fight and then said he had to retire because he can't get off TRT. That he just be like "oh well I guess I'll have to get off that **** then" just proves he didn't need it. If he did need it, how the **** could he afford droping it?

So Vitor Belfort withdrew from the championship he so dreamt of and he worked sooo hard to get to.

Now stop and think what this means.

It means that without the TRT, and so with too low a level of testosterone, his body is not able to compete at his normal, optimum level to a point where it's not just compromising his performance, but makes him unable to perform in a demanding physical contest that is MMA.

We know that Belfort used steroids and this might be responsible for his low T levels. So that's fair play here. But what's with all the other fighters? It is known that repeated head trauma leads do decrease in testosterone production. And this is obviously the problem of MMA fighters like any other group of athletes, apart from boxers as well. (Of course, there are other reasons for having low testosterone levels in your body).

Is it ok to ban a therapy that helps athletes overcome health issues caused by the sport they do?

Every kind of proffesional sport ruins the athlete's body in a different way. Take winter sports e.g.:

"Exercise-induced asthma has been diagnosed in as many as half of all elite cross-country skiers and almost as many world-class ice skaters and hockey players."

But nobody denies those athletes asthma treatment, whereas nobody would complain if it were banned for MMA fighters.

Fans kept making fun of that issue so much they started believing that TRT is used to by healthy men to gain inhuman powers, whereas it's used by sickly fighters to be healthy.

Vitor Belfort is a fantastic fighter with awesome skills, that's why he keeps winning in spectacular fashion. The TRT didn't make Frank Mir or Forrest Griffin do the same, did it?

Like I said, it's fine to deny it to a former steroid abuser like Belfort, but it's not ethical to deny it to a fighter like Frank Mir, who's been pounded on his head 10,000 times in his career and can bearly utter a fluent sentence because of accumulated head trauma.

Very soon, young fighters with long careers, like Stephan Struve will be infertile well before their 30yo and they won't be able to get medical help. This is sad.

It isn't normal if you're using something to change how your body naturally is. Vitor is older, of course he has lower testosterone. That's normal.

^^This. When you use anabolic steroids, there are consequences and repercussions. Low testosterone turns out to be one of them. That's not Chris Weidman or any other opponents problem, that's the problem of Vitor or whomever the TRT user happens to be.

Archived