Will the Nevada State Athletic Commission ban the gaining of 30 pounds on fight night?

Sisti

It seems like the most retarded and dangerous thing in the world to have every fighter lose an extremely unhealthy amount of weight and then gain it ALL the very next day.

To me, this is one issue that would combat cheating AND improve fighter health. If they are going to ban TRT, which will hurt a ton of fighter's health why not also ban this which is much more obvious cheating and will help fighter's health.

If they both are going to weight the same at the time of the fight anyways, what's the point of losing and gaining the same weight?

If they both are going to weight the same at the time of the fight anyways, what's the point of losing and gaining the same weight?
Well, because they are NOT going to weigh the same.

The one who is better at weight cutting and/or is willing to risk it more will weigh more, Very often the fighters are then even 15lbs apart because of different amounts of weight they are able to cut. And that's so unfair.

If you eliminated weight cutting, by weighing fighter the day before the fight, on the day of the fight, an hour before the fight and just before the fight, all fighters would fight in a class division and at a weight where they feel totally secure as to no coming over the limit.

Therefore, e.g. at MW fighters would come to fight weighing 180lbs - 183lbs, where they would be totally safe as to coming on weight as well as to being able to eat uncompromised healthy meals during the fight weekend.

Nobody would have an edge over anybody else and fighting in a division would be fair.

EDIT. And of course, if some loser ****ed it up and came at, say, 187lbs, then he would have to cut those 2lbs, and having no time to hydrate back up after the last weigh in, which would be directly before the fight, he would pay the price by fighting dehydrated. This only means, nobody would dare to **** it up and they would come at 180lbs just to be safe.

Weight cutting has gotten so stupid to the point where everybody is doing crazy cuts now, two fighters that walk around at 190-195lbs are fighting eachother at 170lbs. What is the point?! Fight at 185lbs!!!! Therefore they will be more refreshed come fight time and the fight might be a little more entertaining since they have more energy.

Weight classes are now full of people that walk around nowhere near the weight of the weight class. As time has progressed people have gone from cutting 5lbs-10lbs to cutting 15-20lbs and now some people even cut over 30lbs-40lbs through camp! This is all needless as everyone is now doing it, they end up fighting people their own size which defeats the original purpose of cutting lots of weight to fight smaller guys like a ****.

Lets call out some weight cutting cans:

Benson Henderson

GSP

Johny Hendricks - 40lbs throughout camp is crazy!

Cole Miller - Worst weight cutting can to have ever lived

Jose Aldo

I don't see why if they don't ban one they couldn't ban the other. 1 step at a time.

If the fact that there is other ways to abuse the system is going to serve as an argument to prevent implementing measures to prevent some cheats we're not going to go anywhere.

Or what's the alternative. Build every single existing cases simultaneously and pass them ALL AT ONCE. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

get a grip.

Weigh ins the day of the fight would help.

**** that. people would be keeling over and dying left right and center from exhaustion and dehydration due to all of the last minute weight cutting

that would be too much for me to handle. every mma event would be more like a funeral, and id be lurking backstage somewhere with a raging hard on waiting for all the dead female fighters to be carted out.

**** that. people would be keeling over and dying left right and center from exhaustion and dehydration

that would be too much for me. every mma event would be more like a funeral, and id be lurking backstage somewhere waiting for all the bodies to be carted out.

I think its a necessary evil. If you want to cut so much weight then you deserve to be at a disadvantage.

Weight cutting has gotten so stupid to the point where everybody is doing crazy cuts now, two fighters that walk around at 190-195lbs are fighting eachother at 170lbs. What is the point?! Fight at 185lbs!!!!

lol exactly

if they want to ban things like TRT it makes all the sense in the world to stop this as well. this one makes way more sense cuz what the f is the point if you're both gonna end up weighing 190 - 195 at the end of it! just f'in fight at 185 and avoid the whole bs lol

**** that. people would be keeling over and dying left right and center from exhaustion and dehydration due to all of the last minute weight cutting

that would be too much for me to handle. every mma event would be more like a funeral, and id be lurking backstage somewhere with a raging hard on waiting for all the dead female fighters to be carted out.

I don't know.. maybe a couple fighters would get fooled into trying that at first but soon enough they'd realize that the couple pounds advantage they could get from it would really not be worth the exhaustion due to dehydration... They would have no time to recover and even if you drink tons of water, the effects of dehydration last longer than the actual dehydration. Right now they have the time to get rehydrated and sleep and ****... with the weigh-ins just a couple hours before the fights they wouldn't have that opportunity. Better to show up with 0 weight cut and be top shape IMO.

It makes OBVIOUS sense but reason has never been done is it would ruin fight cards and the sport entirely.

Imo there is a way to make it work and involves a LARGE up front insurance clause.

First of all i would NOT tell the fighters their weight,let the fight go on ,then the guy who did not make weight,loses EVERYTHING,even his place in the UFC.I would allow a 2 lb allowance for a second chance,if fails again by 2 lbs,then boot him out for good.That is the strict deterrent this sport needs,otherwise they just laugh it off and give away 20% of their purse.It is th same for being caught on roids,wtf is a 1 year suspension,most of these guys only fight twice a year,so that is like a 2 game hockey suspension or a 2 game baseball suspension.

Torn on this.

Size/Weight differences can make a fight more interesting because its an extra factor to consider, but at the same time I feel like closing the weight gap would make for better, more competitive fighting both from a cardio standpoint (less cut=less tax on the body=less chance of gassing) and because overall the fighters would be more evenly matched in size so things like technique, heart, and chin would more so be the deciding factors, instead of some huge monster weight cutter like GSP/Carmont laying on people.

Weight cutting has gotten so stupid to the point where everybody is doing crazy cuts now, two fighters that walk around at 190-195lbs are fighting eachother at 170lbs. What is the point?! Fight at 185lbs!!!! Therefore they will be more refreshed come fight time and the fight might be a little more entertaining since they have more energy.

Weight classes are now full of people that walk around nowhere near the weight of the weight class. As time has progressed people have gone from cutting 5lbs-10lbs to cutting 15-20lbs and now some people even cut over 30lbs-40lbs through camp! This is all needless as everyone is now doing it, they end up fighting people their own size which defeats the original purpose of cutting lots of weight to fight smaller guys like a ****.

Benson Henderson

GSP

Jose Aldo

This. As much as I like Jose Aldo I hate that he cuts sooo much weight just to make it to 145. I can never understand the reasoning behind fighters cutting a large amount of weight just to gas out in the second round and then when the fight is over they head home just to gain thirty lbs. again. Where is the logic in that? Why not fight in a heavier weight class instead of setting yourself up for failure by gassing early in every fight?

The biggest reason behind weight cutting and day prior weigh ins is guys missing weight. They would lose a lot more fights with day of the fight weigh ins.

well I don't know. If the guys knew they wouldn't be granted more time to cut weight and that they'd have no time to recover from a weight cut they probably wouldn't risk it that much..

That kind of stuff doesn't really depend on how the rules are managed it depends more on the guys themselves being irresponsible and dumb or smart and professional. Notice that it's usually the same guys who have trouble cutting weight or just straight up miss weight. Except for short notice or badlucks like getting sick the week before the fight or something like that..

Guys who always make weight now would always make weight whatever the rules.

It seems like the most retarded and dangerous thing in the world to have every fighter lose an extremely unhealthy amount of weight and then gain it ALL the very next day.

To me, this is one issue that would combat cheating AND improve fighter health. If they are going to ban TRT, which will hurt a ton of fighter's health why not also ban this which is much more obvious cheating and will help fighter's health.

You know what? There is something even more dangerous, and that is losing the weight and NOT rehydrating after, which is exactly what would happen. And this is not just my opinion or speculation, look at boxing, fighters WILL cut weight regardless. This is the reason they implemented day before weigh-ins, for fighter safety. Your idea will actual endanger fighter's health because as I say, and history shows, they WILL cut weight.

You know what? There is something even more dangerous, and that is losing the weight and NOT rehydrating after, which is exactly what would happen. And this is not just my opinion or speculation, look at boxing, fighters WILL cut weight regardless. This is the reason they implemented day before weigh-ins, for fighter safety. Your idea will actual endanger fighter's health because as I say, and history shows, they WILL cut weight.

Nonsense.

You obviously can't perform at your maximum being dehydrated. Nobody would do something that is not only beneficial but makes you perform worse. Think about it.

The biggest reason behind weight cutting and day prior weigh ins is guys missing weight. They would lose a lot more fights with day of the fight weigh ins.

well I don't know. If the guys knew they wouldn't be granted more time to cut weight and that they'd have no time to recover from a weight cut they probably wouldn't risk it that much..

That kind of stuff doesn't really depend on how the rules are managed it depends more on the guys themselves being irresponsible and dumb or smart and professional. Notice that it's usually the same guys who have trouble cutting weight or just straight up miss weight. Except for short notice or badlucks like getting sick the week before the fight or something like that..

Guys who always make weight now would always make weight whatever the rules.

I agree with you. The day before thing really just gives the promoter a little more elbow room to save an event.

2 weight ins.

one day before.

one before the event.

The difference cannot be higher than 5 pounds. If so, then make 50% of the fighter's purse go to the other guy.

Five pounds might be a little low (not sure, I'd have to think about that more), and I think 50% is a little excessive, but this type of thing is a MUCH better solution than just day of weigh-ins, which are a horrible idea for reasons others have already stated.

2 weight ins.

one day before.

one before the event.

The difference cannot be higher than 5 pounds. If so, then make 50% of the fighter's purse go to the other guy.

Five pounds might be a little low (not sure, I'd have to think about that more), and I think 50% is a little excessive, but this type of thing is a MUCH better solution than just day of weigh-ins, which are a horrible idea for reasons others have already stated.

yup if it is day ins weigh ins, the fighters would kill themselves to make weight. With what I (and many people has proposed before) you would not be able to cut that much, or try to stay dehydrated for a complete day. and you will be miserable, hence the 5 pounds, you can have a buffer of 5 pounds weight to play with, not 15 or 20 or even more as it is today.

Day of the fight weigh ins would be far healthier for the fighters

No, it would be far LESS healthy for the fighters, because it does nothing to actually stop them from cutting weight, it just gives them less time to rehydrate, meaning they go into the fight more vulnerable to serious injury.

The fact that guys are already willing to cut weight to the point that their bodies are shutting down clearly indicates that the threat of danger isn't enough to deter guys, so making it MORE dangerous isn't helping anything.

No, it would be far LESS healthy for the fighters, because it does nothing to actually stop them from cutting weight, it just gives them less time to rehydrate, meaning they go into the fight more vulnerable to serious injury.

The fact that guys are already willing to cut weight to the point that their bodies are shutting down clearly indicates that the threat of danger isn't enough to deter guys, so making it MORE dangerous isn't helping anything.

The idea is that they will understand they cannot rehydrate and so will come in at their actual weight which, for a change, will be where the rules say it is supposed to be.

Benson Henderson

GSP

Jose Aldo

Yes lets call out all the weight cutting cans!! So that is Big foot and all the fighters in the roster below rest of the heavyweight division.

Extreme Weight cutting is dangerous for the health of the fighters but is not an easy subject to address as it was TRT. I say we better to address it step by step. for example it could be percentage for allowed wight cut ( like 10 percent for example)

. For instance no fighter could weighs more than 10 percent of his/her weight of the weigh in time so if a fighter was 180 in weigh in could not weigh more than 198 ( 180+ 18) at the fight time.

Or if a fight ends up in draw the lighter fighter takes the win . As I said before addressing the weight cut issue is not as easy as TRT but it is not impossible to address also.

The idea is that they will understand they cannot rehydrate and so will come in at their actual weight which, for a change, will be where the rules say it is supposed to be.

My point was, fighters already know that if they cut too much weight, their body will shut down, and yet, some of them still do it anyway. That seems like pretty good proof that just knowing the dangers won't actually make them stop. You need specific rules that allow them to do a small amount of cutting, while limiting how much.

What you're proposing is a situation where they're still completely allowed to cut as much weight as they want, but it's just more dangerous for them to do so. That's worse than what we've got now, not better. We need a solution that makes things healthier for the fighters, not more dangerous.

The healthiest thing would be for fighters to fight within the weight limits they are supposed to fight in.

Agreed, but you need to fix that by making rules that prevent them from cutting significant amounts of weight, not by allowing them to do it in a more dangerous capacity.

The healthiest thing would be for fighters to fight within the weight limits they are supposed to fight in.

Agreed, but you need to fix that by making rules that prevent them from cutting significant amounts of weight, not by allowing them to do it in a more dangerous capacity.

i'm confused why you keep saying there's no way for fighters to just FOLLOW THE RULES. the rule would simply be "you fight at the weight you naturally are." if they could immediately stop TRT for fighters who are PHYSICALLY dependent then why can't they just make a new rule that says you can't unnaturally cut weight

you do realize they could just watch the fighters right after the weigh-in and make sure they are healthy and didn't excessively cut weight, or do not try to excessively gain weight.

the bottom line, it just seems silly for all these fighters to weigh 195 and fight at 170 instead of 185 if both fighters end up weighing the same in the end anyways.

lastly, you say it could lead to more dangerous weight cuts...how could you get more dangerous than cutting as much as 40 pounds and putting it all back on in one day. this is what the entire sport is doing now just to keep up with everyone else.

how could you get more dangerous than cutting as much as 40 pounds and putting it all back on in one day.

Cutting all that weight, and then having to go fight without re-hydrating would be one way that you could get more dangerous.

I'm not saying they can't, or shouldn't fix the problem. All I was saying is that I think same day weigh-ins is a bad way to try to fix it.

They really need to implement same day weigh inns! If they aren't going to do that, then I like putting a limit on the cut. It should be about what they weigh when they are fighting, not the day before.

You got people like Hendricks dropping 50lbs and its ridiculous. They should put a limit on the cut, relevant to the weight class.

Why would the NSAC ban something that has been taking place in combat sports since the beginning of them? It's not just MMA. Boxers cut weight too, genius. Also, how do you plan to regulate that? Force feed them the week of the fight?

TRT is adding testosterone to one fighter and not the other. That is the definition of cheating.

Why would the NSAC ban something that has been taking place in combat sports since the beginning of them? It's not just MMA. Boxers cut weight too, genius. Also, how do you plan to regulate that? Force feed them the week of the fight?

TRT is adding testosterone to one fighter and not the other. That is the definition of cheating.

And cutting 40 pounds and then regaining it is doing so for ONE fighter, and not the other. lol what's the difference? no one's forcing the other guy to cut an insane amount of weight...they have to only because the other guy is.

TRT was the same exact thing. more and more people were doing it to keep up with the other guy. hendo/vitor was a perfect example.

if they could get rid of the trt way of cheating the system, why can't they get rid of this extreme and blatant cheating of the weight system. if the weight limit's 170 and 99% of the fighters weigh more than 185 at fight time, there's a problem. you see where i'm coming from with this?

The TRT supplement is only supposed to bring them up to whatever the other fighter already has in his system.

Archived