Driverless Cars

SavageTC

It seems that the "future" is finally on our doorstep. The concept of a driverless cars chauffeuring people has been around for a very long time, Google, just one of several companies developing a real world product is getting very close to actually bringing something to market. 2017 close by their estimate.

While this is probably a bit optimistic, by the end of this decade driverless cars on your local roads could be a reality.

http://phys.org/news/2014-04-google-driverless-cars-mastering-city.html

Ill keep the poll options simple, but interested in everyones thoughts

discuss

They should be mandatory for everyone under 30 years old or over 65 years old.

That might be something to look at initially lol if these systems are going to work at their full potential, it will be inevitable that it will become mandatory on all cars. The promise was always that the traffic flow would be faster, with far less accidents congesting traffic.

It might get to the point where you can only drive yourself on trackday type situations.

I do like the idea of never having to worry about whether I've had one too many, or feeling tired behind the wheel. Potentially higher speed limits in non urban areas, but I'm sure that as soon as the technology becomes reliable enough it will become mandatory.

I really don't see them having it that reliable anytime soon. What happens when the system messes up at 80 mph?

From what I have seen the Google system uses a system of lasers radar and cameras as well as GPS. In addition the cars will all communicate with each other keeping track of upcoming road conditions, traffic and potential hazards.

The first gen requires a person sit in the drivers seat at all times to take control in case of emergency, however with the amount of investment currently backing it, and the general explosion in both computer and material sciences, a fully automated system could be achieved. I obviously cant give a concrete number, but I don't think it would be outside of reason to say 20 years or so

• 2 years later...

We had a good thread about programming these cars to either run over someone or steer the car off the road.

That was years ago and the media is only now starting t examine this issue - proving the human **** fighting is where the real intellectual break through are coming from.

These cars now require you to program in the choices you want to make. 

Here is te question: if I tell that car to run someone over rather than drive me over a cliff, and that happens, how is that not premeditated murder?

We had a good thread about programming these cars to either run over someone or steer the car off the road.

That was years ago and the media is only now starting t examine this issue - proving the human **** fighting is where the real intellectual break through are coming from.

These cars now require you to program in the choices you want to make. 

Here is te question: if I tell that car to run someone over rather than drive me over a cliff, and that happens, how is that not premeditated murder?

Because of the definition of premeditated murder...

Unfortunately this was bound to happen eventually, and highlights the limitations of what is still a new emerging technology. With enough negative press this could definitely cause problems for the industry, but Id like to believe that as a global society, while some markets might initially be scared off, others will adopt it and it will continue to grow and become increasingly safer and more efficient to the point where it is undeniably the most logical choice.

One thing I believe will be implemented in the near future which will ensure this is the internet of things, so when everything is communicating directly with the vehicle in conjunction with the current LiDAR etc. the accuracy of the systems will increase dramatically.

Here is an interesting read on the social reaction to this crash

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/the-first-tesla-driverless-death-has-happened-another-one-could-stop-driverless-cars-in-their-tracks/news-story/0ccb24206dc934fbad29ffb8809f0739

Archived