Brian Foster- Great Comeback Story

Brian Foster was cut from the UFC in 2010 for medical reasons after suffering a brain hemorrhage that required surgery and then a ruptured testicle (ouch) shortly after he was able to begin training again. He went on to earn two wins by submission in small promotions and then his phone stopped ringing. For a couple of years no MMA promotion would give him a chance due to a supposed high risk of injury to his brain, even though he was fully cleared by doctors to fight. This blackballing (pun intended lol) caused him to endure major emotional and financial stress as he was unable to pursue his chosen career path.

Finally, after a two year layoff, Combat MMA offered him a fight. He was to face fellow former UFC fighter Daniel "Ninja" Roberts. It was the fight he had been waiting for to get his career and life back on track, but it was over before it really began. Foster was choked out by Roberts only 1:29 into the very first round. Never one to give up, Brian Foster went on to win his next fight by KO (punch) and then two more by submission (both by way of armbar) in small promotions before fighting this past week at Titan FC 28 where he won a unanimous decision on the biggest stage he has fought on since being forced out of the UFC.

I think he deserves another shot at the big show. The guy is on a 4 fight winning streak with 3 finishes, has an overall record of 22-6 with 21 of his wins by finish (12 subs, 9 KO) for a 95% finish rate, has a win over Matt freakin' Brown in the UFC, and his recent decision victory was the only time in his entire career that he has gone to a decision. Even his losses were all by either sub (5) or KO (1). This guy always comes to fight and has one of the biggest hearts and strongest wills in all of MMA. Let him bang, Dana!

i dont remember the dude

i didnt really look at the tc's name in this thread...i just read the thread title & clicked it expecting to see that moron spammer dude spamming all his movie links

i was seriously going to click one of the links this time too. what a shame. he could have made 0.3 cents.

*walks away disappointed*

Man I really wish the UFC would sign him again. He's been favorite fighter since I saw him fight Rick Story. Always exciting and entertaining.

He was on a 2 fight win streak before he got injured and medically released from the UFC. His last 2 wins in the UFC were a KOTN of Forrest Petz and a submission of Matt Brown. If you haven't seen his fight against Matt Brown I highly recommend you watch it. I think it really showed how good he can be.

I was gutted when he got injured and released. But he has been dealing with it well and continuing with his career. He's 8-1 in his last 9 MMA fights. Hopefully he can continue to rack up some big wins and get back to where he belongs.

• 1 month later...

Here's a recent interview with Foster. The interviewer kinda pisses me off but it's good to hear from Foster. He's coming off a win over former TUF/UFC fighter Gilbert Smith. Talks about that fight and signing with WSOF. He's under contract with them at the moment but they haven't been able to set-up a fight for him yet. If they don't get him a fight before August he could defend his VFC belt against Josh Neer. I would rather see him fight in WSOF but a fight with Josh Neer would be awesome and maybe he could take that fight and go to WSOF if he wins.

He also get pretty heated talking about Matt Brown and being medically released from the UFC. He wants back in and is working his way back.

Man I really wish the UFC would sign him again. He's been favorite fighter since I saw him fight Rick Story. Always exciting and entertaining.

He was on a 2 fight win streak before he got injured and medically released from the UFC. His last 2 wins in the UFC were a KOTN of Forrest Petz and a submission of Matt Brown. If you haven't seen his fight against Matt Brown I highly recommend you watch it. I think it really showed how good he can be.

I was gutted when he got injured and released. But he has been dealing with it well and continuing with his career. He's 8-1 in his last 9 MMA fights. Hopefully he can continue to rack up some big wins and get back to where he belongs.

Agreed, the Matt Brown fight was awesome! He's a crazy exciting guy and he also rocks the same second name as me, so I'm forever a fan ;)

Any man that has his testicle ruptered and still wants to bang should be signed by the UFC regardless of win streaks

Don't forget he suffered a brain hemorrhage also. Dudes a warrior

Agreed, the Matt Brown fight was awesome! He's a crazy exciting guy and he also rocks the same second name as me, so I'm forever a fan ;)

You da man Foster!

On the flipside, I do kind of get why the UFC isn't too excited to sign him. the UFC has worked years and years to get MMA into the mainstream, they arguably turned a freakshow into a sport. They are still working hard every day to get it accepted in New York for instance.

While Foster has proven himself a true warrior, he's still a liability. He suffered a serious brain injury and if that would ever come back to bite him in the **** it could potentially cause a lot of harm to the UFC and pro MMA in general. The opposition would be all over that and use it to harm pro MMA as a sport.

Is one man worth that?

On the flipside, I do kind of get why the UFC isn't too excited to sign him. the UFC has worked years and years to get MMA into the mainstream, they arguably turned a freakshow into a sport. They are still working hard every day to get it accepted in New York for instance.

While Foster has proven himself a true warrior, he's still a liability. He suffered a serious brain injury and if that would ever come back to bite him in the **** it could potentially cause a lot of harm to the UFC and pro MMA in general. The opposition would be all over that and use it to harm pro MMA as a sport.

Is one man worth that?

this is very true and even though i like foster and would like to see him back in the ufc, i know it will be very unlikely they ever re-sign him

Is one man worth that?

The thing is he isn't a liability nowadays as he was when he first got released. He's spent a bunch of time and money trying to get medically cleared and he has. His national suspension was lifted a while ago and he's been able to compete in the US since. He even competed for GLORY, which is a top kickboxing promotion.

He talked to Joe Silva recently and he said it was more of a matter about who he's beaten to get back in the UFC. Joe Silva said the Daniel Roberts fight set him back a bit which I get. He's on a 4 fight win streak now and his next fight is either gonna be in WSOF or defending his belt in VFC against Josh Neer.

I'll be honest, he isn't worth being signed right now by the UFC. But it's not because of his injuries. He really hasn't beaten anyone who has given him that recognition to be back in the UFC. Especially with the UFC LW and WW divisions being stacked right now, there isn't much of a demand for him to be back. I think a couple more impressive performances against more well known opponents will get him back to where he wants to be.

• 5 months later...

If he wins that fight that's huge, Shields is still probably a Top 10 WW

Would definitely be a huge win for him. He's struggled against submission fighters in the past but I feel like he has the skills to keep it on the feet and make him pay. If it stays standing I think Foster will pick him apart. If it hits the ground I'll be a little worried but Foster is scrappy on the ground too. Should be an entertaining fight

Archived