Solar Panel Roadways

Jbrahams

Its a cool idea but their are a couple of things that need to be mentioned. Solar PV panels aren't really efficient enough right now, most commercially available panels sit at around 15% -20% efficiency while some experimental systems produce about 40%, and the technology is constantly changing so choosing the best long term system is critical.

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that it would take an enormous amount of raw materials and energy to manufacture potentially thousands of kilometres of road surface. This in itself is a huge issue.

I think it will have potential, and I hope they get the funding they need to get going as soon as possible. but I don't think I'll be seeing any solar roads near me any time soon. Funny video though

Its a cool idea but their are a couple of things that need to be mentioned. Solar PV panels aren't really efficient enough right now, most commercially available panels sit at around 15% -20% efficiency while some experimental systems produce about 40%, and the technology is constantly changing so choosing the best long term system is critical.

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that it would take an enormous amount of raw materials and energy to manufacture potentially thousands of kilometres of road surface. This in itself is a huge issue.

I think it will have potential, and I hope they get the funding they need to get going as soon as possible. but I don't think I'll be seeing any solar roads near me any time soon. Funny video though

yeah I agree, there is tons of work and planning needed even to get these on a local street let alone a main road or highway which would sometimes be nearly impossible to do with the amount of inconvenience it would create. But yeah a cool concept and funny video

Archived