Anarcho-Communism

chons

Another perspective, that I just stumbled over. At first I thought it was a joke.

http://libcom.org/thought/anarchist-communism-an-introduction

"Anarchist communism is a form of anarchism that advocates the abolition of the State and capitalism in favour of a horizontal network of voluntary associations through which everyone will be free to satisfy his or her needs."

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you think that anarcho-communism is a joke, you should let Noob tell you about how an Ancap system works. It's hilarious and the best part is that he thinks it works.

I'm well aware. I stumbled across this looking for answers to questions that I had about AnCap. I understand the AnCap system as well as I need to, it's just my opinion that it fails because it doesn't go radical enough. Getting rid of money takes care of what I see as the other systems shortcomings.

Too bad we are stuck with what we have.

If you think that anarcho-communism is a joke, you should let Noob tell you about how an Ancap system works. It's hilarious and the best part is that he thinks it works.

You sound really dumb when you suggest it won't work. Of course it could work. Its about whether or not we prefer it though.

I don't believe I have ever said Ancap is a going to fix everything. Just as no other system is. I simply prefer morality to all other goals. Simply because you don't think my vision of private security would work doesn't mean we have to have security paid for with force. We just find another plan. Why is coercion the solution? Why can't we as an intelligent people figure out a solution that is moral?

I'm well aware. I stumbled across this looking for answers to questions that I had about AnCap. I understand the AnCap system as well as I need to, it's just my opinion that it fails because it doesn't go radical enough. Getting rid of money takes care of what I see as the other systems shortcomings.

How do people trade without currency?

You sound really dumb when you suggest it won't work. Of course it could work. Its about whether or not we prefer it though.

I don't believe I have ever said Ancap is a going to fix everything. Just as no other system is. I simply prefer morality to all other goals. Simply because you don't think my vision of private security would work doesn't mean we have to have security paid for with force. We just find another plan. Why is coercion the solution? Why can't we as an intelligent people figure out a solution that is moral?

Not everyone is going to be moral all the time. Not everyone believes in the same morality as you.

Bartering one good/service for another good/service.

I wouldn't say all barters are equal though. Like trading brain surgery for yard work doesn't seem legit. Doesn't seem win win to me.

Not everyone is going to be moral all the time. Not everyone believes in the same morality as you.

Actually most people do.

Tell men when I lose you MMA.

Dont kill.

Dont rape.

Dont steal.

Dont infringe on personal property.

Those are pretty universal I say. The VAST majority of people agree on that morality. And thats all Im suggesting.

Let me tell you a morality not so universal. You have to pay for single mothers bad decisions. You have to pay for old folks bad money management. You have to pay for chain smokers lung transplant. You have to pay for mass murder. You have to pay to save this tadpole. I own 40% of your worth. I tell you what to consume.

So no, I obviously disagree with your assertion.

P

I wouldn't say all barters are equal though. Like trading brain surgery for yard work doesn't seem legit. Doesn't seem win win to me.

Agreed that not all bartering is equal, but it's the perception of each individual that is engaging in the bartering as to what is fair value. Both parties define what is equal. Just like the free market. Perhaps brain surgery for yard work doesn't seem like a fair value of time and service, so the person who is doing the yard work would add another service/time until the other party agrees the fair trade barter.

My point was that there was a time that existed before currency was around and that's how people handled things. I'm not saying it's good or bad. Just was adding a point to the discussion.

Actually most people do.

Dont kill.

Dont rape.

Dont steal.

Those are pretty universal I say. The VAST majority of people agree on that morality. And thats all Im suggesting.

Let me tell you a morality not so universal. You have to pay for single mothers bad decisions. You have to pay for old folks bad money management. You have to pay for chain smokers lung transplant. You have to pay for mass murder. You have to pay to save this tadpole. I own 40% of your worth. I tell you what to consume.

You would think those are fairly universal traits of morality, but then why do people kill, rape, steal or infringe on personal property as of now all over the world?

That's one area where I differ from your opinion. You feel that those aspects are universal, but I disagree. Throughout human history is my source as to people killing other people, raping other people, stealing stuff from other people and basically infringing on another's personal property.

P

Agreed that not all bartering is equal, but it's the perception of each individual that is engaging in the bartering as to what is fair value. Both parties define what is equal. Just like the free market. Perhaps brain surgery for yard work doesn't seem like a fair value of time and service, so the person who is doing the yard work would add another service/time until the other party agrees the fair trade barter.

My point was that there was a time that existed before currency was around and that's how people handled things. I'm not saying it's good or bad. Just was adding a point to the discussion.

I think some sort of currency would ultimately result. I mean sure it existed before we are just too far advanced for that now. Not having a currency sounds like a giant headache to me.

Actually most people do.

Dont kill.

Dont rape.

Dont steal.

You would think those are fairly universal traits of morality, but then why do people kill, rape, steal or infringe on personal property as of now all over the world?

That's one area where I differ from your opinion. You feel that those aspects are universal, but I disagree. Throughout human history is my source as to people killing other people, raping other people, stealing stuff from other people and basically infringing on another's personal property.

I guess our definitions of vast are different. If you think what I have suggested is not universal then Im surprised you go outside at all.

It's about doing what you love, because you love it, not because of how much money it will make you.

It's about doing what you love, because you love it, not because of how much money it will make you.

Sounds like a shortage to me.

Actually most people do.

Dont kill.

Dont rape.

Dont steal.

I guess our definitions of vast are different. If you think what I have suggested is not universal then Im surprised you go outside at all.

You have to remember that there are countries, heck, even states with people that have vastly different cultures and moral values than what you have.

Why would throughout the entire human history have there been killings, rapes, stealing? Perhaps some people do not care about morality. Perhaps they have other agendas in mind.

If you have a world where most people believe in not killing, not raping, not stealing; there will still be other people who do not believe or care about preserving this type of morality to go against those actions. Those people who do not care (murders, rapists, thieves) will still come in contact with those who believe that it is morally wrong to steal, rape and kill.

That's because you lust for money.

P

I think some sort of currency would ultimately result. I mean sure it existed before we are just too far advanced for that now. Not having a currency sounds like a giant headache to me.

Some sort of currency did evolve. Just like people evolved into having a government of representatives be a form of democracy and other forms of government.

lol Its economics actually.

P

Some sort of currency did evolve. Just like people evolved into having a government of representatives be a form of democracy and other forms of government.

Im not following what your point is. :-/

P

Chons mentioned he would want to do away with currency and basically go back to the days of bartering without the form of currency most likely. Just the same, you have mentioned in the past basically wanting to do away with government and working with private entities alone (i.e. - going back to a time when there was no government). The problem is, humanity evolved into forming a government of representatives and other forms of government.

Actually most people do.

Dont kill.

Dont rape.

Dont steal.

You have to remember that there are countries, heck, even states with people that have vastly different cultures and moral values than what you have.

Why would throughout the entire human history have there been killings, rapes, stealing? Perhaps some people do not care about morality. Perhaps they have other agendas in mind.

If you have a world where most people believe in not killing, not raping, not stealing; there will still be other people who do not believe or care about preserving this type of morality to go against those actions. Those people who do not care (murders, rapists, thieves) will still come in contact with those who believe that it is morally wrong to steal, rape and kill.

Nothing that I have said suggests that I believe all people are moral or follow some sort of universally preferable behavior. Evil exists I agree. However, that would be the minority. Most people do follow the UPB I have suggested. If they didn't, why hasn't your wife been raped? Dumb luck?

P

Chons mentioned he would want to do away with currency and basically go back to the days of bartering without the form of currency most likely. Just the same, you have mentioned in the past basically wanting to do away with government and working with private entities alone (i.e. - going back to a time when there was no government). The problem is, humanity evolved into forming a government of representatives and other forms of government.

Gotcha.

Actually most people do.

Dont kill.

Dont rape.

Dont steal.

Nothing that I have said suggests that I believe all people are moral or follow some sort of universally preferable behavior. Evil exists I agree. However, that would be the minority. Most people do follow the UPB I have suggested. If they didn't, why hasn't your wife been raped? Dumb luck?

We are in agreement that there is no universal preferable behavior or universal form of morality, otherwise, everyone would agree to those behaviors and that form of morality.

No we are not in agreement lol

Most people today agree that what I have stated is true. I don't understand why you don't see this truth?

If they don't they lack empathy. And if they lack empathy they were probably abused as a child. Violence does not spring from a vacuum. So, evil people exist this is true, but as we progress as a society and we stop beating our kids, I would bet the house that you see less violence overall.

I don't believe you. Your posts clearly point towards a person that wants what he doesn't need, ie., lots of money. If I'm wrong awesome, your a better person than I think you are. ;)

I don't believe you. Your posts clearly point towards a person that wants what he doesn't need, ie., lots of money. If I'm wrong awesome, your a better person than I think you are. ;)

You are right and wrong here I guess. A shortage is an economic term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_shortage

"Economic shortages are related to price—when the price of an item is set below the equilibrium rate determined by supply and demand, there will be a shortage. In most cases, a shortage will compel firms to increase the price of a product until it reaches market equilibrium. Sometimes, however, external forces cause more permanent shortages—in other words, there is something preventing prices from rising or otherwise keeping supply and demand balanced."

Basically if you dont put the price incentive on it, some things just wont exist as abundantly as they do today. Security for example. I wouldnt say people love risking their life. In fact two officers were just ****ing shot here in Vegas for no ****ing reason. But you pay them, give them benefits and the cost/benefit analysis comes into question and we got security.

I wouldnt imagine all doctors LOVE being doctors for the helping people part of it. Im sure the fat pay has A LOT to do with it. So again, I like your idea but it sounds like a shortage to me.

EDIT: You are right because I love money.

You are right and wrong here I guess. A shortage is an economic term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_shortage

"Economic shortages are related to price—when the price of an item is set below the equilibrium rate determined by supply and demand, there will be a shortage. In most cases, a shortage will compel firms to increase the price of a product until it reaches market equilibrium. Sometimes, however, external forces cause more permanent shortages—in other words, there is something preventing prices from rising or otherwise keeping supply and demand balanced."

Basically if you dont put the price incentive on it, some things just wont exist as abundantly as they do today. Security for example. I wouldnt say people love risking their life. In fact two officers were just ****ing shot here in Vegas for no ****ing reason. But you pay them, give them benefits and the cost/benefit analysis comes into question and we got security.

I wouldnt imagine all doctors LOVE being doctors for the helping people part of it. Im sure the fat pay has A LOT to do with it. So again, I like your idea but it sounds like a shortage to me.

EDIT: You are right because I love money.

I agree, there could be a shortage, but then again, there could be an overabundance, neither of us can say for sure. The way I look at it is, one of the main, if not the obstacles in becoming a doctor is money. To simplify, the current model = No money = no education = no doctor, vs. No money + free education = anybody with the intelligence and desire can become a doctor.

Is money not an obstacle to higher education in North America?

What is different about AnCap? From my point of view it's the same failed system that we have now, only without government. Money = immorality, if you think deep about it.

I'll give a more thorough answer later, but for now I would just say the money itself is not immoral. But if def can be used immorally. My question is whos using it more immorally? Government or private enterprise?

That isn't quantifiable IMO, and does it really matter? Who is worse, they guy doing nasty **** and paying someone to look the other way, or the guy being paid to look the other way? I don't see one being worse than the other.

Money by itself is useless.

If Anarchy means "Without Rulers", and Anarcho-Communism advocates a "Direct Democracy", is it really Anarchy at all if the majority rule?

No rulers = no rulers. Voting on something doesn't make someone a ruler.

If the majority determines that I can't ingest what I want (weed, raw milk, whatever it may be), they claim rule over my body.....therefore, wouldn't they be my ruler?

From what I've read, the principle of doing what you want with your own body is the same as the AnCap system.

So it must not be a direct democracy then...pretty sure it is though....additionally, it's my understanding that they advocate for no private property...I would think that would be considered another way rulers exist in An-Com.

That's correct, no private property. How does that make rulers? I would think the reverse is true, property = ruler, you rule over your property.

It makes rulers b/c it prevents me from private ownership. The majority claims ownership of my "wealth" and determines that I can't voluntarily buy property.

"I would think the reverse is true, property = ruler, you rule over your property" - Does the ground have rights? If dirt has no Rights, then it makes no sense that property = a ruler. It means I rule over my property though, and there's nothing wrong with that b/c I own it and dirt has no Rights. Unless I coerce people onto my property and Rule over them, no foul has been made.

I miss the times when discussions were started to get a new, better answer. Now people think it's all about winning

Assume much?

Sorry, didn't mean that to OP. I was mostly talking about people which closed minds who come here with swords. Like the libertarian, starting up with "You sound really dumb when you suggest it won't work" aka "you sound dumb when you disagree with me".

We're animals, in the end the only thing that matters is who carries the biggest stick. That's why the only system that will work to keep everything running calm and efficient is a system that puts a monopoly on violence in the hands of a controlled government.

That's it, simple as that.

Anyone thinking this anarchy thing would work would someday find their front doors kicked down by some gang that would rape his wife, eat his kids and steal his sh!t before stomping him to death after they made him watch. Anarchists have no idea what's waiting for them on the other side

It makes rulers b/c it prevents me from private ownership. The majority claims ownership of my "wealth" and determines that I can't voluntarily buy property.

"I would think the reverse is true, property = ruler, you rule over your property" - Does the ground have rights? If dirt has no Rights, then it makes no sense that property = a ruler. It means I rule over my property though, and there's nothing wrong with that b/c I own it and dirt has no Rights. Unless I coerce people onto my property and Rule over them, no foul has been made.

Who prevents you from owning properties? The majority does not own anything, that's the point, non ownership.

You rule your property, which means that you can keep people from trespassing.

The really interesting thing I'm reading now is, on the flip side, most anarchists do not consider AnCap as true anarchy.

We're animals, in the end the only thing that matters is who carries the biggest stick. That's why the only system that will work to keep everything running calm and efficient is a system that puts a monopoly on violence in the hands of a controlled government.

Anyone thinking this anarchy thing would work would someday find their front doors kicked down by some gang that would rape his wife, eat his kids and steal his sh!t before stomping him to death after they made him watch. Anarchists have no idea what's waiting for them on the other side

So, somehow no government = no police? Why do we need government in order to have a police force?

Anarchy isn't what most people think it is. I was guilty of this as well.

I miss the times when discussions were started to get a new, better answer. Now people think it's all about winning

Assume much?

Sorry, didn't mean that to OP. I was mostly talking about people which closed minds who come here with swords. Like the libertarian, starting up with "You sound really dumb when you suggest it won't work" aka "you sound dumb when you disagree with me".

To be fair to the libertarian, it seems like he was provoked into that comment. :P

"Who prevents you from owning properties? The majority does not own anything, that's the point, non ownership." - The direct democracy is what rules over the minority and prevents private property ownership, correct? Don't they mandate that no one own private property, it's all "communal"?

"You rule your property, which means that you can keep people from trespassing." - But that still does not mean that I rule over anyone. It means I rule over my property. If all my interactions with people are voluntary, then no Ruler exists.

"Who prevents you from owning properties? The majority does not own anything, that's the point, non ownership." - The direct democracy is what rules over the minority and prevents private property ownership, correct? Don't they mandate that no one own private property, it's all "communal"?

"You rule your property, which means that you can keep people from trespassing." - But that still does not mean that I rule over anyone. It means I rule over my property. If all my interactions with people are voluntary, then no Ruler exists.

No, direct democracy has nothing to do with private ownership, that is the communism part of the ideology.

You rule over anyone that steps foot on your property... the rule is, your property is private, don't trespass. You kicking someone off your property is most certainly ruling over them, how is it not? If someone trespasses on your property uninvited, that's not voluntary interaction.

"The really interesting thing I'm reading now is, on the flip side, most anarchists do not consider AnCap as true anarchy." - I've seen that as well, but I'm not sure how they get to that conclusion based on the definition of Anarchism:

belief in the abolition of all government and the organization of society on a voluntary, cooperative basis without recourse to force or compulsion. From the Greek Anarkhos, meaning without a ruler.

So, somehow no government = no police? Why do we need government in order to have a police force?

Anarchy isn't what most people think it is. I was guilty of this as well.

Because a government has to abide by rules; (inter)national law. If there was no government who would control that privatised police you speak of? A non-government police force would by definition be a mercenary police force.

Listen society is nothing more than a scale with freedom on one side and safety on the other. If you want more of either one, you have to take away from the other. There is no way around it.

Physical violence is the end all be all, always was, always will be. Safety from violence, requires a sacrifice of certain freedoms. True freedom offers no safety from violence. Our current system of "democracy" and the trias politica is the closest you can get to true freedom while still maintaining an acceptable amount of safety for our loved ones.

Archived