So what did we learn about Weidman and Machida last night

-Richard

First thing we learned is Weidman is a HW and he struggled to beat a LHW with what he said had no chin

Second, had Machida attacked from the start he would have probably finished Weidman

Third, Anderson Silva is past his prime

Fourth, I still cant stand these two guys

Fifth, Gus is gonna put Chicken Bones Jones in hospital and take his what belongs to him

discuss thanx

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing new about Machida, his tentativeness definitely cost as it has in the passed, when he turns it on he beasts guys. He was stylin' on Weidman for the duration of the 4th round. Weidman showed a good chin and lack of cardio, besides that nothing new, he's still well rounded. He definitely needs to get some 5 round carido because those takedown attempts later in the fight were weak

Weidman is a weight cutting can aka WCC

Machida has a superior skilset, but damn Weidman is tough

Machida is past his prime

Weidman most probably has an iron chin

As much as it hurts me to say, all in all, Weidman is a deserving champion, you can't take that away from him.

Weidman will be very hard to beat

First thing we learned is Weidman is a HW and he struggled to beat a LHW with what he said had no chin

Second, had Machida attacked from the start he would have probably finished Weidman

Fifth, Gus is gonna put Chicken Bones Jones in hospital and take his what belongs to him

discuss thanx

so basically if Machida changed his fighting style he would have won, lol.

discuss thanx

so basically if Machida changed his fighting style he would have won, lol.

Probably yes

Things I learned last night:

1. Machida once again held too long to try to finish Weidman (as he always do)

2. WEIDMAN IS TOUGH and got an iron chin.

3. Machida should stay at 185, work his way up for a rematch.

4. Vitor and Jacare will not beat Weidman.

5. Style wise, Mousasi and Rockhold got better chance against Weidman.

6. WMMA sucks

7. Hall got some much potential but still keeps on holding back.

8. Got a lot of respect for Weidman and Machida.

I learned Chris doesn't have back up plans when he can't steam roll people in the first few rounds. Chris tends to establish pressure right away but keeps his range just right so he doesn't walk into anything until he can get a fighter more passive ( in which case he'll engage with bad intent ) or get them to feel that pressure and panic becoming over aggressive ( in which case Chris will retreat or intercept them and take them down then bully them on the ground ). If and opponent can whether it and not take a lot of damage or put in dangerous situations too much Chris can gas putting out that kind of in effective energy and the opponent has an opportunity later to pour it on and Chris tends to shut down becoming over defensive, gun shy, slow and telegraphic when he's on the receiving end.

I learned Machida is tougher than people think he is but he needs to mix things up a little more in various ways. For one he needs to blend his usual first two rounds feeler out period with that aggressive loose style where he's relaxed and flowing and constantly scoring with crisp hard strikes like he did in that 4th round. He looked tired too but unlike Chris he stayed relaxed and had a sort of the loose forward pressure with zero tension and that made his blitz hard to detect but also quick, explosive and powerful where as in the first few rounds he only used that bicycle movement to bait forward over committed pressure which Chris countered by always pressuring, but keeping the correct distance, not over reacting to feints and not over committing on his attacks.

Machida needs more of a combined arms approach to really set up his striking. As tricky as his striking is people are starting to figure his game out. The left overhand moving his head off center into punch flurry sometimes ending with a left roundhouse, the slipping his head right feinting like he's gonna throw the long lead uppercut to throw the left hand then throwing the high roundhouse kick, the standing his ground taking small steps forward with hand/hip feints like he's gonna kick or throw the straight left then timing a knee or straight left during the last quarter of the opponents movement when they come in, the hard snappy left roundhouse kick to the liver to set up the head kick. Those are some common things Machida likes to do and people are getting wise to it. He needs to mix in trips more on the blitzing like he did against Moose. He needs to clinch sometimes and batter the legs with knees and create scrambles and hitting on the break and maybe blitz right back in sometimes. He needs to not just play feeler out and read my opponent the first two round but mix in some aggression with that.

tl:dr: Chris is a boss but i see holes. Still gonna be tough to beat him no matter what. Lyoto can be a much more dynamic and dangerous striker if he brings a more combined arms approach and stays unpredictable. He needs a more all around mixed game and blending his aggression game with baiting game so that they are one in the same all the time and keep an opponent constantly unsure and uneasy which will frustrate and mentally/physically tax them and open Lyoto's game up much more allowing him to be a lot more effective doing damage. I could go on and on, what and amazing fight. I know Vitor might be up next for Chris if he can get himself straight but for some reason i'd love to see Vitor and Lyoto and i have a feeling we'll never get to see that fight :(

woman's mma lol

Couple of corrections.

Weidman never said Machida had a weak chin, that was Longo.

Machida got completely shut down. Weidman used great ring craft to cut off the cage and trap Machida throughout the first three rounds and made Machida miss on most of his counters. He did take his foot off the petal in the fourth when he got tired and Machida gained the upper hand but Weidman showed a lot of heart and came back with the fury in the fifth.

A lot of people are talking about Machidas desperation flurry in the last 20 seconds but forget that Weidman was smashing him with hellbows in trapping range and then took him down and transistioned to mount and then took his back. Round five was all Weidman.

If anyone thinks that Vitor stands a chance in hell of staying off his back against Weidman when Machida failed to, they are delusional.

Couple of corrections.

Machida got completely shut down. Weidman used great ring craft to cut off the cage and trap Machida throughout the first three rounds and made Machida miss on most of his counters. He did take his foot off the petal in the fourth when he got tired and Machida gained the upper hand but Weidman showed a lot of heart and came back with the fury in the fifth.

A lot of people are talking about Machidas desperation flurry in the last 20 seconds but forget that Weidman was smashing him with hellbows in trapping range and then took him down and transistioned to mount and then took his back. Round five was all Weidman.

If anyone thinks that Vitor stands a chance in hell of staying off his back against Weidman when Machida failed to, they are delusional.

I don't think Lyoto has a weak chin but i don't think it's iron either and i was a bit surprised he didn't have Machida hurt more than he did because he landed some pretty solid right hands early on and Chris throws that right stiff and heavy like a battering ram.

I agree that flurry was nice but he actually landed harder shots leading up to them. One of those knees was and that slappy uppercut elbow was pretty solid though. The chopping left he threw that back Chris up in the first place was a better shot than any in that flurry. Also agree Chris won that round and nearly had him in some big trouble when he almost flattened him out belly down back mount but Machida did a good job defending and escaping.

I agree Vitor would have a much harder time not getting taken down and Vitor is worse at the shutting down thing that we briefly saw with Chris in the fourth. When Vitor is on the bad end of a fight he shuts down completely and gets owned or he panics and becomes wreckless.

The thing about Vitor though is he's gonna be real dangerous early and he has the power & speed catch Chris and hurt him and if he does i mean Chris is a boss and can whether a storm but when Vitor has someone hurt and swarms almost nobody survives it. I think Chris beats him but there's that chance Vitor smokes him early.

Couple of corrections.

I don't think Lyoto has a weak chin but i don't think it's iron either and i was a bit surprised he didn't have Machida hurt more than he did because he landed some pretty solid right hands early on and Chris throws that right stiff and heavy like a battering ram.

I agree that flurry was nice but he actually landed harder shots leading up to them. One of those knees was and that slappy uppercut elbow was pretty solid though. The chopping left he threw that back Chris up in the first place was a better shot than any in that flurry. Also agree Chris won that round and nearly had him in some big trouble when he almost flattened him out belly down back mount but Machida did a good job defending and escaping.

I agree Vitor would have a much harder time not getting taken down and Vitor is worse at the shutting down thing that we briefly saw with Chris in the fourth. When Vitor is on the bad end of a fight he shuts down completely and gets owned or he panics and becomes wreckless.

The thing about Vitor though is he's gonna be real dangerous early and he has the power & speed catch Chris and hurt him and if he does i mean Chris is a boss and can whether a storm but when Vitor has someone hurt and swarms almost nobody survives it. I think Chris beats him but there's that chance Vitor smokes him early.

I don't think Weidman lets Vitor stand in the first, I think he takes him to the mat in the first minute. Longo and Serra are severely underrated coaches, they trained Chris to implement a gameplan that stifled both Anderson and Machida completely. I think Vitor is an easier fight for Chris and I also don't think Chris has so much ego that he would try to fight into Vitor's strengths to prove a point.

Vitor's dangerous in the first couple minutes, but I think Chris puts him on his back or against the cage and softens him up before finishing him off.

I'd say Vitor's best bet of winning this fight is if he throws up a quick submission off his back like he did against Jones because no one expects it. Chris has better BJJ than Jones though so he's less likely to leave an opening.

Couple of corrections.

I don't think Weidman lets Vitor stand in the first, I think he takes him to the mat in the first minute. Longo and Serra are severely underrated coaches, they trained Chris to implement a gameplan that stifled both Anderson and Machida completely. I think Vitor is an easier fight for Chris and I also don't think Chris has so much ego that he would try to fight into Vitor's strengths to prove a point.

Vitor's dangerous in the first couple minutes, but I think Chris puts him on his back or against the cage and softens him up before finishing him off.

I'd say Vitor's best bet of winning this fight is if he throws up a quick submission off his back like he did against Jones because no one expects it. Chris has better BJJ than Jones though so he's less likely to leave an opening.

Lol And i get called out on nuthugging

Weidman is easily the least skilled champion

Couple of corrections.

He just outstruck Machida, idiot.

That's far more impressive than knocking out Silva.

Couple of corrections.

He just outstruck Machida, idiot.

That's far more impressive than knocking out Silva.

Andersons career > Weidmans + Machidas

Couple of corrections.

lol you are SO rustled, he just put a clinic on Machida. He outstruck Machida easily.

For the record, Machida would molest Anderson if they fought.

I have mixed feelings about the fight. On one hand he proved his fights with Silva were not a fluke since he decisively beat Machida in a 5 round fight. On the other hand Weidman got exposed as he proved useless in the last two rounds in a fight that wasn't even that grueling compared to the wrestling he usually does.

If Vitor doesn't prove useless without PED's he should easily have this fight since Machida paved the way for everyone. He just has to avoid the takedowns and let him gas then knock him out in the 4th.

I have mixed feelings about the fight. On one hand he proved his fights with Silva were not a fluke since he decisively beat Machida in a 5 round fight. On the other hand Weidman got exposed as he proved useless in the last two rounds in a fight that wasn't even that grueling compared to the wrestling he usually does.

If Vitor doesn't prove useless without PED's he should easily have this fight since Machida paved the way for everyone. He just has to avoid the takedowns and let him gas then knock him out in the 4th.

Weidman easily won the fifth round.

Couple of corrections.

lol you are SO rustled, he just put a clinic on Machida. He outstruck Machida easily.

Put on a clinic? Outstruck Machida easily?

Lol

Troll on

Couple of corrections.

Lol

Troll on

Outstruck him 4 out of 5 rounds.

Oh and he is the only one to ever do this.

101_Chris_Weidman_vs_Anderson_Silva_gallery_post.jpg

Couple of corrections.

Vitor has always has that quick armbar even back when he fought Couture he tried it and he even tried it against Rumble i think. He's pretty good at that transition but for some reason he doesn't go full Palhares to finish it. lol

Chris's game is different though and he's way more aware of BJJ. Chris either smoother's to limit hip/trunk movement then he creates a little space to throw something heavy then looks to pass or fake the pass to throw and sometimes the opponent makes space he'll stand and stack and throw down heavy shots looking to pass. He doesn't play the hover in the middle game which is dangerous.

Jon likes to sit up in guard and smash elbows and he's vulnerable to getting caught because he's not controlling movement and playing that dangerous hover middle distance. He only gets away with it because his elbows are so wicked most people go defensive and want to clinch him and break his posture. Chael had this same hover middle distance problem until he started working with Vinny Magalhaes more. He'd hover and strike from the knees and that opens you up to getting off balanced & swept, transitions to submission, clinched or a scramble.

I really think Vitor's best change is catching Chris with a sharp flurry coming in. I agree that Chris will most likely put Vitor in the fence early and mug him i the clinch take his soul then destroy him.

I don't think Longo and Serra are that underrated. I think they're good but for the most part they seem better at the motivational, push through it mental toughness side of coaching much like the boot camp military guy. The superior thinkers & tacticians are Renzo and John Danaher especially Danaher that guy is a freaking genius with strategy, tactics and the mental aspect and he doesn't get nearly enough credit.

Couple of corrections.

Lol

Troll on

Lol Machida is a Karate fighter

Karate isn't even real

So Weidman beat a fighter with zero stand up and still got schooled in the later rounds

Couple of corrections.

Vitor has always has that quick armbar even back when he fought Couture he tried it and he even tried it against Rumble i think. He's pretty good at that transition but for some reason he doesn't go full Palhares to finish it. lol

Chris's game is different though and he's way more aware of BJJ. Chris either smoother's to limit hip/trunk movement then he creates a little space to throw something heavy then looks to pass or fake the pass to throw and sometimes the opponent makes space he'll stand and stack and throw down heavy shots looking to pass. He doesn't play the hover in the middle game which is dangerous.

Jon likes to sit up in guard and smash elbows and he's vulnerable to getting caught because he's not controlling movement and playing that dangerous hover middle distance. He only gets away with it because his elbows are so wicked most people go defensive and want to clinch him and break his posture. Chael had this same hover middle distance problem until he started working with Vinny Magalhaes more. He'd hover and strike from the knees and that opens you up to getting off balanced & swept, transitions to submission, clinched or a scramble.

I really think Vitor's best change is catching Chris with a sharp flurry coming in. I agree that Chris will most likely put Vitor in the fence early and mug him i the clinch take his soul then destroy him.

I don't think Longo and Serra are that underrated. I think they're good but for the most part they seem better at the motivational, push through it mental toughness side of coaching much like the boot camp military guy. The superior thinkers & tacticians are Renzo and John Danaher especially Danaher that guy is a freaking genius with strategy, tactics and the mental aspect and he doesn't get nearly enough credit.

All good points, especially about Danaher because I forgot about that guy. He's most likely the brains behind Weidmans strategy.

Couple of corrections.

butthurt-everywhere_auto-154207.png

Couple of corrections.

Lol

Troll on

Lol Machida is a Karate fighter

Karate isn't even real

So Weidman beat a fighter with zero stand up and still got schooled in the later rounds

KLyJGLZ.gif

tumblr_inline_mqfd0j5HGo1s45gfa.gif

The funniest part of Weidman vs. Silva is that Weidman could have dumped Anderson on his head at anytime during the fight. He just chose to stand and destroy him.

Machida can actually wrestle unlike Canderson.

The funniest part is the success Anderson has had in his career with "zero wrestling"

But it's not funny and Andersons career > every other fighter

The funniest part of Weidman vs. Silva is that Weidman could have dumped Anderson on his head at anytime during the fight. He just chose to stand and destroy him.

The funniest part is the success Anderson has had in his career with "zero wrestling"

hqdefault.jpg

"When I beat him and **** up all of your super fights, I'll give him an immediate rematch." - Chris Weidman

tumblr_ml3l7mdQyc1rz0kf6o1_400.gif

Rustled

He lost to one fighter throughout his whole UFC career Lol

And Weidmans skill level isn't even close to Andersons

hqdefault.jpg

You're right, it's not even close and it showed over the period four rounds when Weidman dominated Anderson every single minute they fought.

I think part of that is due to the knee issue and he stubbornly tried to come back hard early in his camp and just wasn't ready for it and that's caused all sorts of issues and he said at the post fight he had the worst camp of his life from pretty much top to bottom not just from the knee issues.

Another thing is he pushed hard in those first three rounds to take control and try to break Lyoto and while he was pretty effective he wasn't that effective and Lyoto used less energy defending and was able to pour it on a little more in the forth and he had his moments in the fifth but Weidman edged that round i felt.

I think the combination of those things was the reason for Chris looking like that in the 4th and not being as dominant in the 5th. Vitor definitely isn't the guy to come out strong in championship rounds and finish him.

Literally zero respect for one of the greatest fighters in the UFC

Go watch WWF

Zero respect for the guy that beat him twice, and his main training partner. Go watch soccer.

I have respect for him

But he isn't good enough to be the one to take over from Anderson

Go watch WWF

Zero respect for the guy that beat him twice, and his main training partner. Go watch soccer.

I have respect for him

It's because your ****y blinds you, what more could he do? He'll clean out the division, handle Jacare and then Machida again, smash Vitor and then give Anderson a pointless third fight and destroy him and it still won't be enough for you.

You should just stay out of threads pertaining to the MW division, because you are irrational and don't have the jimmies to handle the discussions.

Go watch WWF

I have respect for him

It's because your ****y blinds you, what more could he do? He'll clean out the division, handle Jacare and then Machida again, smash Vitor and then give Anderson a pointless third fight and destroy him and it still won't be enough for you.

You should just stay out of threads pertaining to the MW division, because you are irrational and don't have the jimmies to handle the discussions.

He'll do none of those things

Weidman is average in every department

In terms of skill, Weidman doesn't crack the top 10 in MW

Go watch WWF

I have respect for him

=)) =)) =))

Go watch WWF

I have respect for him

when_i_troll_fj-82130.gif

Archived