BJ Penn will always be my hero.

TheSinisterUrge

While you are sad about him retiring, BJ is collecting his ridiculous paycheck. He probably bought another Lambo to feel better about his loss. That poor guy. He was a GOAT though.

Thats not his style doe. He actually whips a Jeep.

He makes less in a fight than he does in a single month outside the Octagon. His UFC pay goes to paying the taxes he owes the US government each year from the interest on his wealth. I'm not sad because he lost his livelihood, I'm sad that I won't get to see him fight (lose(sad face) ) anymore, outside of old fight tapes.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-a-ghost-under-the-ring-lights
Damn, what a fantastic read!

Everybody should read it.

Again, the sad story is that BJ didn't have a mastermind behind him to guide him. He didn't have a Duane Ludwig, Ray Longo or Greg Jackson. Those 3 Edgar fights showed it perfectly. And the last one was the most tragic one, as well described in the article.

Again, the sad story is that BJ didn't have a mastermind behind him to guide him. He didn't have a Duane Ludwig, Ray Longo or Greg Jackson. Those 3 Edgar fights showed it perfectly. And the last one was the most tragic one, as well described in the article.

Jack Slack is hands down the best technical analyst writing articles today.

Jack Slack is hands down the best technical analyst writing articles today. i never heard of him, then again I don't read much of anything that isn't required by the syllabus

Jack Slack is hands down the best technical analyst writing articles today. i never heard of him, then again I don't read much of anything that isn't required by the syllabus

He's bounced between sites, he used to write for Bloodyelbow (I think), then bleacher report, and now he ended up at Vice (the best news site in the world in my opinion).

He has a "killing the king" series where he writes about the technical weaknesses of the champions before their fights and he has been on point with how they end up getting defeated on multiple occasions. Notably Anderson Silva before Weidman KO'd him

"When fighting Silva, opponents struggle to hit him, and when they connect, he takes the power away by rolling with strikes. Rolling with a punch means to move in the same direction in order to reduce its impact.

In MMA, this should be easier than in boxing because almost all MMA fighters attack by alternating their hands—left-right-left or vice versa.

Boxers often double or even triple up the same hand mid-combination, which makes it difficult for the defender to turn side to side as Silva does.

Very few opponents have doubled up punches from one hand against Silva. I am not saying that doubling up would allow a fighter to knock Silva out—there isn't a simple answer to an iron chin. However, there is a reason why elite boxers rarely roll with every punch as effectively as Silva does; boxers are not as predictable and one-note in their offence."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1687489-killing-the-king-anderson-silva

He printed that, and then Weidman knocked silva out after throwing that weird overhand and to backhand right combo and Silva bobbing into the left hook of Weidman.

And also the decimation of Barao.

"Alternatively Barao could be drawn into a brawl by drawing out his right hand. Carrying the lead had low and encouraging him to throw his looping right hand and then ducking or shoulder rolling would do this, but that's always dangerous with a man who loves to kick. Drop the hand for a moment and you might find a high kick coming instead of an easily slipped punch.

To be honest, what I would hope to see from anyone hoping to beat Barao is pressure, and tons of it. Get across the ring, kick him in the leg and swarm in on him with punches before he can get away. Move to the clinch, then to the fence, then flurry again. Rinse and repeat."

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/killing-the-king-renan-barao

While you are sad about him retiring, BJ is collecting his ridiculous paycheck. He probably bought another Lambo to feel better about his loss. That poor guy. He was a GOAT though.

Penn isn't dat kinda guy. His parents are loaded. Penn never fought for money. He didn't fight for free either but it was never an important motivation.

Penn isn't dat kinda guy. His parents are loaded. Penn never fought for money. He didn't fight for free either but it was never an important motivation.

I know, he didnt fight for free either. Point is, there is no need to feel bad for the guy.

I know, he didnt fight for free either. Point is, there is no need to feel bad for the guy.

I did feel bad seeing such a boss get beat like that but Penn is still a boss and always will be.

You try achieving...

LW GOAT

Multiple division UFC champion.

Fought every top fighter of your era.

Defeat the unbeatable champion a weightclass above when he's at the top of his game and the sport evolved past the one dimensional era.

Give HW Machida a run for his money.

Become one of the best pure skill fighters ever to grace the cage.

One of the best early era boxers and BJJ fighters ever.

Have some of the best TDD ever.

Doesn't just bleed but makes opponents bleed.

Beat Renzo Gracie a man who's BJJ'ed & Vale Tudo'ed since you were in your father's nut sack.

ALL OF THAT^^ when you.....

Grew up with a rich dad in laid a back environment.

Don't TRT or PED ever.

Only scrap and refuse to point fight.

Terrible diet and eat spam sammiches regulary.

Zero wrestling background with a cabbage patch head making balance more difficult which makes his TDD all the more impressive.

90% boxing/jitz technique training the few days a week you actually train.

10% conditioning training which mostly consist of surfing, walking on the beach and doing cannonballs off cliffs

eating and typing on BJPenn.com.

Have THE utterly crappiest corner advice and pre-fight strategies ever.

BJ Penn is da bess!

He's bounced between sites, he used to write for Bloodyelbow (I think), then bleacher report, and now he ended up at Vice (the best news site in the world in my opinion).

He has a "killing the king" series where he writes about the technical weaknesses of the champions before their fights and he has been on point with how they end up getting defeated on multiple occasions. Notably Anderson Silva before Weidman KO'd him

"When fighting Silva, opponents struggle to hit him, and when they connect, he takes the power away by rolling with strikes. Rolling with a punch means to move in the same direction in order to reduce its impact.

In MMA, this should be easier than in boxing because almost all MMA fighters attack by alternating their hands—left-right-left or vice versa.

Boxers often double or even triple up the same hand mid-combination, which makes it difficult for the defender to turn side to side as Silva does.

Very few opponents have doubled up punches from one hand against Silva. I am not saying that doubling up would allow a fighter to knock Silva out—there isn't a simple answer to an iron chin. However, there is a reason why elite boxers rarely roll with every punch as effectively as Silva does; boxers are not as predictable and one-note in their offence."

He printed that, and then Weidman knocked silva out after throwing that weird overhand and to backhand right combo and Silva bobbing into the left hook of Weidman.

"Alternatively Barao could be drawn into a brawl by drawing out his right hand. Carrying the lead had low and encouraging him to throw his looping right hand and then ducking or shoulder rolling would do this, but that's always dangerous with a man who loves to kick. Drop the hand for a moment and you might find a high kick coming instead of an easily slipped punch.

To be honest, what I would hope to see from anyone hoping to beat Barao is pressure, and tons of it. Get across the ring, kick him in the leg and swarm in on him with punches before he can get away. Move to the clinch, then to the fence, then flurry again. Rinse and repeat."

The Anderson one was a good read

I liked

"At this point in his career, any losses will have more to do with time catching up to him than opponents figuring him out"

The Anderson one was a good read

I liked

"At this point in his career, any losses will have more to do with time catching up to him than opponents figuring him out"

Glad you liked it, now you should read this one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695987-ufc-162-how-chris-weidman-killed-the-king

Unfortunately, Weidman has been robbed of some of the glory that he deserves. Many fans and journalists are claiming his KO to be more a case of Silva losing the fight for himself rather than Weidman taking the title from him.

But was that really the case?

Weidman won the first round in fairly convincing fashion as he took down the champion, landed good punches and attacked with a kneebar and heel hook. Once the fight returned to the feet, Anderson Silva went to his showboating and looked to convince the judges that he was winning the round based on his confidence and bravado.

I did feel bad seeing such a boss get beat like that but Penn is still a boss and always will be.

You try achieving...

LW GOAT

Multiple division UFC champion.

Fought every top fighter of your era.

Defeat the unbeatable champion a weightclass above when he's at the top of his game and the sport evolved past the one dimensional era.

Give HW Machida a run for his money.

Become one of the best pure skill fighters ever to grace the cage.

One of the best early era boxers and BJJ fighters ever.

Have some of the best TDD ever.

Doesn't just bleed but makes opponents bleed.

Beat Renzo Gracie a man who's BJJ'ed & Vale Tudo'ed since you were in your father's nut sack.

ALL OF THAT^^ when you.....

Grew up with a rich dad in laid a back environment.

Don't TRT or PED ever.

Only scrap and refuse to point fight.

Terrible diet and eat spam sammiches regulary.

Zero wrestling background with a cabbage patch head making balance more difficult which makes his TDD all the more impressive.

90% boxing/jitz technique training the few days a week you actually train.

10% conditioning training which mostly consist of surfing, walking on the beach and doing cannonballs off cliffs

eating and typing on BJPenn.com.

Have THE utterly crappiest corner advice and pre-fight strategies ever.

BJ Penn is da bess!

Wasnt easy but I've just done all of it, thanks for the push bro

Archived