Pushing Political Agendas on a Forum For MMA

Megasoup

It's pointless.

Anyone who gets into a heated debate about politics is simply wasting their time. Certainly, they're not going to cultivate universal agreement or convert any posters to their political philosophy. We've seen it time and time again. It just becomes a fest of bickering. That's okay, I guess. Some people like to argue. But it's pointless.

Let's say that someone types up something so compelling that this forum actually achieves a lasting state of harmony and the consensus becomes unanimous. We all become Communists or card-carrying members of Hezbollah Al-Hejaz. So what? There's only like 5 or 6 regular forum members, if you don't include the alts; we're not going to change the world. We're not going to change anything! It's pointless.

The same goes for threads about religion or evolution...unless the contributions are fascinating takes for those interested in ancient history (like me!) When someone is kind enough to piece together a thread like this, all skeptics should suspend disbelief for a moment. We don't need anyone to preach their agenda. It's pointless.

The whole bit about arguing; I don't understand it. You say something that should anger someone and...you anger them. How is that an achievment? Rustling jimmies? I thought the memes were frickin' hilarious when they first came out. Anymore, hearing someone say it is like listening to a a one-hit wonder that was never really all that good and still gets way too much radio play...x 1000. I never used the term myself, even for the half-week it was funny, because it was pretty obvious that I didn't coin it. It's obvious when someone else uses it, too. Plagiarism doesn't make people look clever. Be original, guys.

If I could only make threads that were clever jokes and only respond to other people's posts with clever jokes, I would. I'm not that funny. I wish I was funnier. I post threads about my life because I believe that some of the things I get into (because of my own irresponsibility and reckless behavior, true) are interesting. Salsa Clubs are cool and we should like hearing about that. The other extreme, being homeless for a time, is just the opposite, but it's the kind of thing that doesn't happen to most people and not the kind of thing we hear about much. I also like to post some occasional short fiction that never seems to go over that well. None of what I post ever seems to go over all that well.

I think I'm just going to post humorous stuff for a while.

Anyway, since I was such a critic earlier, here's some examples of thread topics that are awesome:

-Anything that is funny.

-A thread that begins with a hilarious GIF

-A thread that involves contact with a UFC fighter. No matter how trivial, it can be the catalyst for something worthy. Ex. "I got to Chael Sonnen."

-Threads about great or interesting moments in history.

-A thread that is absolutely ridiculous, like "What do you use to shape your beard?" or the "F--- her right in the p---y," guy.

-Sports. I don't really like 'em, but other people do.

-Legitimate questions. They don't always get legitimate answers, but that can sometimes be good!

-Fitness. I can't say why, but these are always a hit.

-The UFC

This is just a list, nothing to live or die by. Just be original, interesting and ACTUALLY funny. A lot of people don't understand the intricacies of dry humor and just come off as being a jerk; especially over the internet where sarcasm can be hard to interpret. If you're not a very, very clever person whose known in real life as being a pretty fair hand with improvised humor, just stay away from it.

And be nice.

And be nice?

Yeah! I'd rather come back from a party where everyone was nice to me. I don't really understand the other side of the equation; being a jerk. I'm not perfect, and I've had to put people in their place before and got no pleasure out of it.

So yes, be nice!

No one is forcing you into reading those threads. People have differing tastes and opinions so they discuss them. That's the point of an all topics forum. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Coming from you, a guy who invades a lot of my posts with personal attacks and complaints about my topic's relevancy, this is rich!

But I absolutely concur. When a thread isn't interesting, I don't jump in. I don't complain, either. With this thread, I'm taking a blindfolded stab at elevating this forum; making it more interesting. The ideas I presented are just a template; topics that are more entertaining and worth our time.

Even if we're posting pics of ridiculous mustaches or videos of dogs doing weird things, at least we get a good-natured chuckle out of it. With a little more care and energy though, some of these threads can be really worth reading, like "Does the Theory of Evolution Really Matter?" Sometimes an honored forum member can get a chance to vent, like "My family members are pieces of ****." All of these contribute to the greater good. Truly, aren't we just chasing our own tails when we argue back and forth about whether or not there's a god or which political party has the best ideas?

What is the TLDR version? I can never get passed this guys first sentence or two.

-Let's see if we can avoid religion and politics, unless it's a historical exploration.

-Things that are dumb and repetitive are just that; dumb and repetitive. What was funny last week, ceases to be funny this week.

-Be original. Plagiarism isn't noble and it's often just more of the same (reference the above,)

-Be nice. It's more fun. We're all anonymous and some people might get a tiny thrill by being a jerk, but camaraderie is more fulfilling.

No one is forcing you into reading those threads. People have differing tastes and opinions so they discuss them. That's the point of an all topics forum. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Coming from you, a guy who invades a lot of my posts with personal attacks and complaints about my topic's relevancy, this is rich!

But I absolutely concur. When a thread isn't interesting, I don't jump in. I don't complain, either. With this thread, I'm taking a blindfolded stab at elevating this forum; making it more interesting. The ideas I presented are just a template; topics that are more entertaining and worth our time.

Even if we're posting pics of ridiculous mustaches or videos of dogs doing weird things, at least we get a good-natured chuckle out of it. With a little more care and energy though, some of these threads can be really worth reading, like "Does the Theory of Evolution Really Matter?" Sometimes an honored forum member can get a chance to vent, like "My family members are pieces of ****." All of these contribute to the greater good. Truly, aren't we just chasing our own tails when we argue back and forth about whether or not there's a god or which political party has the best ideas?

Has it ever crossed your mind that people just aren't interested in your threads? I see them as just as much of a distraction as you do political threads. They also follow the same pattern you've described. The only difference is one is about you and the other is not. Doesn't that seem a bit egocentric to you? If you want to go on a forum that's funny, or has gifs, or one that people tell stories about their lives, there's no shortage of them out floating around on the internet.

What is the TLDR version? I can never get passed this guys first sentence or two.

Discussing politics and science is not worth our time but talking about Mega's life and the topics that he chooses are.

I was an advocate of science. Politics is okay, but not political theory; ie promoting a political idea. And of all the examples of other topics that I used, the fact that you zeroed in on my life indicates that you have some issues. I didn't even include that in my bullet-points. I only stated that I have talked about personal things in the past.

I referenced by name, two other threads that other people made that included something going on in their lives. I guess I should have further clarified that it's okay that ALL OF US should feel free to talk about what's going on in our lives. I don't know just how fully and clearly you expect me to express every single idea I have. If you're not an especially strong reader, or if you're just skimming through, don't immediately jump to conclusions. And if I get something wrong, as I often do, there's no need to go on the attack. It sorta' makes you look bad, as you're anonymous and all.

Has it ever crossed your mind that people just aren't interested in your threads? I see them as just as much of a distraction as you do political threads. They also follow the same pattern you've described. The only difference is one is about you and the other is not. Doesn't that seem a bit egocentric to you? If you want to go on a forum that's funny, or has gifs, or one that people tell stories about their lives, there's no shortage of them out floating around on the internet.

I don't want to call anyone names, especially in a thread where I ask people to be nice...but in this very same thread, YOU are not being nice. First off, like so often in other threads,I am not talking about myself; YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ME. Dude, for real...get a girlfriend!

Secondly, at no point have I suggested that people should be more interested in my threads, which is something you seem to be addressing in your opening sentence. I am powerless to argue with you over that, because I'm not disagreeing with it and frankly, never even established a position on that subject! I can't talk to you because I just don't know where you're going to land, Kevbo!

I am not a moderator and I don't have the power to make rules. There's no need for anyone to get too overly-excited that I'm suggesting we make this forum more interesting and friendlier. If you want to talk about how liberals are destroying our nation or how someone is "butthurt and has his jimmies rustled," feel free, my friend. Feel free.

Discussing politics and science is not worth our time but talking about Mega's life and the topics that he chooses are.

I was an advocate of science. Politics is okay, but not political theory; ie promoting a political idea. And of all the examples of other topics that I used, the fact that you zeroed in on my life indicates that you have some issues. I didn't even include that in my bullet-points. I only stated that I have talked about personal things in the past.

I referenced by name, two other threads that other people made that included something going on in their lives. I guess I should have further clarified that it's okay that ALL OF US should feel free to talk about what's going on in our lives. I don't know just how fully and clearly you expect me to express every single idea I have. If you're not an especially strong reader, or if you're just skimming through, don't immediately jump to conclusions. And if I get something wrong, as I often do, there's no need to go on the attack. It sorta' makes you look bad, as you're anonymous and all.

It's just what I got out of your post. Obviously other people believe the same thing.

It's just what I got out of your post. Obviously other people believe the same thing.

Let me address your two sentences with two sentences of my own:

-Just because you say you meant something, doesn't mean you actually do.

-Just because other people believe something, doesn't mean it's true.

A person can base a fair amount of their life around these two statements.

It's pointless.

Anyone who gets into a heated debate about politics is simply wasting their time. Certainly, they're not going to cultivate universal agreement or convert any posters to their political philosophy. We've seen it time and time again. It just becomes a fest of bickering. That's okay, I guess. Some people like to argue. But it's pointless.

Let's say that someone types up something so compelling that this forum actually achieves a lasting state of harmony and the consensus becomes unanimous. We all become Communists or card-carrying members of Hezbollah Al-Hejaz. So what? There's only like 5 or 6 regular forum members, if you don't include the alts; we're not going to change the world. We're not going to change anything! It's pointless.

The same goes for threads about religion0 or evolution...unless the contributions are fascinating takes for those interested in ancient history (like me!) When someone is kind enough to piece together a thread like this, all skeptics should suspend disbelief for a moment. We don't need anyone to preach their agenda. It's pointless.

The whole bit about arguing; I don't understand it. You say something that should anger someone and...you anger them. How is that an achievment? Rustling jimmies? I thought the memes were frickin' hilarious when they first came out. Anymore, hearing someone say it is like listening to a a one-hit wonder that was never really all that good and still gets way too much radio play...x 1000. I never used the term myself, even for the half-week it was funny, because it was pretty obvious that I didn't coin it. It's obvious when someone else uses it, too. Plagiarism doesn't make people look clever. Be original, guys.

If I could only make threads that were clever jokes and only respond to other people's posts with clever jokes, I would. I'm not that funny. I wish I was funnier. I post threads about my life because I believe that some of the things I get into (because of my own irresponsibility and reckless behavior, true) are interesting. Salsa Clubs are cool and we should like hearing about that. The other extreme, being homeless for a time, is just the opposite, but it's the kind of thing that doesn't happen to most people and not the kind of thing we hear about much. I also like to post some occasional short fiction that never seems to go over that well. None of what I post ever seems to go over all that well.

Anyway, since I was such a critic earlier, here's some examples of thread topics that are awesome:

-Anything that is funny.

-A thread that involves contact with a UFC fighter. No matter how trivial, it can be the catalyst for something worthy. Ex. "I got to Chael Sonnen."

-A thread that is absolutely ridiculous, like "What do you use to shape your beard?" or the "F--- her right in the p---y," guy.

-Legitimate questions. They don't always get legitimate answers, but that can sometimes be good!

-The UFC

This is just a list, nothing to live or die by. Just be original, interesting and ACTUALLY funny. A lot of people don't understand the intricacies of dry humor and just come off as being a jerk; especially over the internet where sarcasm can be hard to interpret. If you're not a very, very clever person whose known in real life as being a pretty fair hand with improvised humor, just stay away from it.

And be nice.

That is what you are saying with these statements, since you aren't interested or think that it's pointless then everyone else should think the same way and not discuss those topics. Also you state to be nice but in every thread you make you try to talk down to someone or insult them including this one.

It's pointless.

The same goes for threads about religion0 or evolution...unless the contributions are fascinating takes for those interested in ancient history (like me!) When someone is kind enough to piece together a thread like this, all skeptics should suspend disbelief for a moment. We don't need anyone to preach their agenda. It's pointless.

-Anything that is funny.

-The UFC

And be nice.

That is what you are saying with these statements, since you aren't interested or think that it's pointless then everyone else should think the same way and not discuss those topics. Also you state to be nice but in every thread you make you try to talk down to someone or insult them including this one.

/\this. Exactly this.

It's pointless.

-Anything that is funny.

-The UFC

And be nice.

How do you draw such a conclusion? Since I am interested in a topic, then everyone should think the same way as me? That is a bizarre position you're taking.

And talking down to someone? I didn't address anyone specifically, and as a matter of fact, I gave props to a few specific threads that I had nothing to do with. No credit for that, huh? Anyway, I stand behind what I said, even if it's a little painful to some people; heated debates about politics or religion lead nowhere, repetition is tedious and boring, and there's no honor in plagiarism. If you take disagree with those statements or take offense to them, I am clueless as to where to begin with you personally. That's not an insult, it's an admission of my limitations.

CannedSoup is right.

We should all have our mothers take pictures with us kissing random women so that we can post those and pretend people care about our lives. **** your political agendas on an MMA forum.

Dude, sometimes you're a real ****head, but I also believe you're a smart guy. How can you disagree with this thread?

(I apologize if I have the wrong poster. There's a lot of 'em and then the name changes were baffling. I'm pretty sure that you're a smart guy that's sometimes a real ****head, but I might have you confused with someone else.)

CannedSoup is right.

We should all have our mothers take pictures with us kissing random women so that we can post those and pretend people care about our lives. **** your political agendas on an MMA forum.

Dude, sometimes you're a real ****head, but I also believe you're a smart guy. How can you disagree with this thread?

(I apologize if I have the wrong poster. There's a lot of 'em and then the name changes were baffling. I'm pretty sure that you're a smart guy that's sometimes a real ****head, but I might have you confused with someone else.)

Lol, you were saying?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?! IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE!!! =))

0.jpg

Different strokes for different folks Mega. What's pointless to you may not be to other s and vice versa. It's all entertainment. It either holds your attention or it doesn't.

Personally i'm not all that interested in politics and my opinions on politics haven't changed vastly over time but i've definitely broadened my perspective, become more aware of things i wasn't very aware of and gained a better understanding about how other people think about things. The why part & problem solving is far more interesting to me than the topic or positions taken. I find it sort of interesting and entertaining to discuss politics but it doesn't effect my day to day much and it's not something i get worked up about like a lot of people so in that sense it is pointless to me. Telling a bar story is pointless too but for sure someone will read it and be entertained and or want to comment.

CannedSoup is right.

I'm not sure about the smart part but you got the ****head part right. >:)

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?! IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE!!! =))

0.jpg

Different strokes for different folks Mega. What's pointless to you may not be to other s and vice versa. It's all entertainment. It either holds your attention or it doesn't.

Personally i'm not all that interested in politics and my opinions on politics haven't changed vastly over time but i've definitely broadened my perspective, become more aware of things i wasn't very aware of and gained a better understanding about how other people think about things. The why part & problem solving is far more interesting to me than the topic or positions taken. I find it sort of interesting and entertaining to discuss politics but it doesn't effect my day to day much and it's not something i get worked up about like a lot of people so in that sense it is pointless to me. Telling a bar story is pointless too but for sure someone will read it and be entertained and or want to comment.

I agree. This will seem a dubious claim, as "pointless" is really up for interpretation, but I don't think of entertainment as pointless and I didn't mean to exclude it. I mentioned "Hilarious Gifs" and "Threads that are absolutely ridiculous," but I didn't specifically exclude them from the category of "pointless." I can understand your conclusion, as I was sorta' loose there.

This isn't even a legitimate topic as it is just another LOOK AT ME thread. If the guy can't come to the different people are interested in different topics logic, there is no hope for him.

Yes, but at least there's hope for you. I think your eyes are pretty.

LOL! This thread is gold. Megasoup is trying to persuade us to give up on expressing contrasting ideas because people can not be persuaded. Hall of Fame material right here.

He also called someone a ****head even after he concluded the OP with "be nice."

Yeah, I toss around dirty words without much conviction. I'm pretty sure that cashflow correctly interpreted that post of mine as being playful.

LOL! This thread is gold. Megasoup is trying to persuade us to give up on expressing contrasting ideas because people can not be persuaded. Hall of Fame material right here.

He also called someone a ****head even after he concluded the OP with "be nice."

Yeah, I toss around dirty words without much conviction. I'm pretty sure that cashflow correctly interpreted that post of mine as being playful.

I guess... I don't think I've ever called someone a ****head in a playful manner, so that's a foreign concept to me.

I guess... I don't think I've ever called someone a ****head in a playful manner, so that's a foreign concept to me.

Man, you are pretty gotten to on these forums then.

This doesn't even make sense.

It makes total sense. A lot of us here use insults in a playful manner, while you are serious and full of rage! :P

It makes total sense. A lot of us here use insults in a playful manner, while you are serious and full of rage! :P

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

Gotten to none the less. Lighten up buttercup!

Posting is pointless. Contrary to popular belief the internet is not serious business.

Well, there's always a point to something. Sometimes the point isn't grand or respectable, but there's usually a point involved. But that's just splitting hairs.

I give up.

So, with the purest and most innocent of intentions...I guess what I really meant by all this (apparently) was that from here on out, all threads must be Megasoup approved.

Posting is pointless. Contrary to popular belief the internet is not serious business.

Well, there's always a point to something. Sometimes the point isn't grand or respectable, but there's usually a point involved. But that's just splitting hairs.

But you just posted a thread stating political threads are pointless? You must agree then that some things are pointless, no?

And everything needs to be Hellequin approved. You may serve as the gate keeper to my final decision though.

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

I fail to understand how having a serious demeanor is being "gotten to." Most people have different types of personalities. Mine in particular is INTJ, if any of you knows what that means. If you do, then you'd know it's not a personality that appears to have a cheery disposition.

I give up.

So, with the purest and most innocent of intentions...I guess what I really meant by all this (apparently) was that from here on out, all threads must be Megasoup approved.

Can you give up by jumping in front of oncoming traffic?

Thanks.

- The Forum

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

I fail to understand how having a serious demeanor is being "gotten to." Most people have different types of personalities. Mine in particular is INTJ, if any of you knows what that means. If you do, then you'd know it's not a personality that appears to have a cheery disposition.

What does it mean?

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

What does it mean?

Introversion (thinking things through) more than Extraversion (interacting with people)

iNtuition (perceiving new possibilities) more than Sensing (perceiving tangible facts)

Thinking (making decisions using objective logic) more than Feeling (making decisions using subjective values)

Judgement (an organised lifestyle) more than Perception (a flexible lifestyle)

My company did a paid assessment to better utilize each individuals talents in a more efficient manner. It is surprisingly effective and accurate.

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

I fail to understand how having a serious demeanor is being "gotten to." Most people have different types of personalities. Mine in particular is INT J, if any of you knows what that means. If you do, then you'd know it's not a personality that appears to have a cheery disposition.

Seriously calling someone an idiot vs doing the same in jest, seems gotten to. You seem touchy, that's all.

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

I fail to understand how having a serious demeanor is being "gotten to." Most people have different types of personalities. Mine in particular is INT J, if any of you knows what that means. If you do, then you'd know it's not a personality that appears to have a cheery disposition.

Seriously calling someone an idiot vs doing the same in jest, seems gotten to. You seem touchy, that's all.

Serious, yes. Rage, no.

How so?

Archived