Sign in to follow this  
OfWolfandMan

Electric Guitar Appreciation Thread

Because they are too cool and its Sunday & I'm bored

I used to own this bad boy...sure do miss it (not this particular guitar, but same exact make/model/color)

scustom2.jpg

• Like 2

The one on the left is mine. I'll be trading it soonish for a Jackson King V. 

1966066_607493719325660_509480250_o.jpg

Did you buy that ESP as a custom job, or was it 2nd hand? Looks nice

Is the body ESP or something else?

• Like 1

One of my best friends gave me that guitar when he found out I had to sell all of my equipment when times were tough. That is all original, I think it's from 1987. It always had just a wood finish, buy my friend painted it black, then stripped it back, greatly devaluing the guitar. It's pretty beat up, but plays well. 

• Like 1

Ive always wanted a custom ESP, but paying the extra $2k just makes it hard to seem worth it when you are raising kids and still have a mortgage lol

• Like 1

I've never been an ESP fan, for completely illogical reasons. :P

Honestly, the most I can justify spending on a guitar is a grand.

• Like 1

Warrior WRXT w/ Duncan's, has a very wide neck .. not my favorite, but my only Jackson -

5172986.jpg

That's why I want a Jackson, I was 100% sold on the wide neck, and they play like butter.

• Like 1

my pointy guitar days are over. Had a Mockingbird and it was cool....when I was 15 ;)

Hehe, my wife thinks they are gay! I'm a big guy and need a big guitar, the points help, plus... I play METAL (say that in a screechy high voice),.

My favorite guitar is the simple Fender strat.

• Like 1

I USED to think I needed a "heavy metal" guitar to play heavy metal....that false reality came crashing down after my guitar teacher shredded some **** up on his telecaster.

As long as you use humbuckers or some kind of stacked SC on a hardwood guitar, tear it up!

I USED to think I needed a "heavy metal" guitar to play heavy metal....that false reality came crashing down after my guitar teacher shredded some **** up on his telecaster.

As long as you use humbuckers or some kind of stacked SC on a hardwood guitar, tear it up!

Sure, you can play metal on a tele, but it's not going to have the same beef as a Jackson loaded with EMGs. I really hate shredding though, I think it's pretty gay. I'm all about huge riffs.

Sure, you can play metal on a tele, but it's not going to have the same beef as a Jackson loaded with EMGs. I really hate shredding though, I think it's pretty gay. I'm all about huge riffs.

He has a hot rodded tele..not your typical county hill billy twang machine

And thats usually what someone who cant shreds says  ;)

He has a hot rodded tele..not your typical county hill billy twang machine

And thats usually what someone who cant shreds says  ;)

Oh brother... not everybody wants the same thing. I was originally a music major in college, studying classical guitar which trumps any shredder. I switched majors because all that stuff is the opposite of what I love about playing guitar. I find most of that noodling annoying and pretentious. 

Oh brother... not everybody wants the same thing. I was originally a music major in college, studying classical guitar which trumps any shredder. I switched majors because all that stuff is the opposite of what I love about playing guitar. I find most of that noodling annoying and pretentious. 

First, I was pulling your chain.

Second - what do you mean classical trumps? As far as I am concerned, its a non-issue.

Personally, I see it the same way I do anything else - there are those who do it sincerely and have a healthy approach and then there are those who make it personal and become very judgmental. I tend to ignore the judgmental types. If someone is happy with their chosen path and is respectful of others, thats all that matters, IMHO. The rest is high school garbage.

First, I was pulling your chain.

Second - what do you mean classical trumps? As far as I am concerned, its a non-issue.

Personally, I see it the same way I do anything else - there are those who do it sincerely and have a healthy approach and then there are those who make it personal and become very judgmental. I tend to ignore the judgmental types. If someone is happy with their chosen path and is respectful of others, thats all that matters, IMHO. The rest is high school garbage.

I don't know, I saw the ;) but you seem like you want to ruffle feathers.

Have you played classical guitar? I mean the difficultly of classical guitar is the apex of guitar skill.

Expressing yourself is personal. I don't judge anybody that does what they do from the heart, I find ego players off putting and a bit fake. I know a great deal of musicians, it's easy to tell who is in it for the expression and the art, and who is in it for attention, money, and ****.

Edited by chons

as a beginner who's progressing nicely on the acoustic (and haven't picked up an electric, yet).....

do any of you guys not use a pick on your electric guitar? The notion of doing so seems so odd to me but at the same time I despise using a pick. Maybe chaulk it up to being inadequate with one, but i feel more comfortable and enjoy it so much more when i use my fingers.

• Like 1

as a beginner who's progressing nicely on the acoustic (and haven't picked up an electric, yet).....

do any of you guys not use a pick on your electric guitar? The notion of doing so seems so odd to me but at the same time I despise using a pick. Maybe chaulk it up to being inadequate with one, but i feel more comfortable and enjoy it so much more when i use my fingers.

I always play with a pick these days. There are some really good guitar players who don't, Jeff Beck, Mark Knopfler, and the guy from the Black Keys come to mind. IMO, do what feels right, there shouldn't be any rules when it comes to guitar.

• Like 1

Have you played classical guitar? I mean the difficultly of classical guitar is the apex of guitar skill.

Expressing yourself is personal. I don't judge anybody that does what they do from the heart, I find ego players off putting and a bit fake. I know a great deal of musicians, it's easy to tell who is in it for the expression and the art, and who is in it for attention, money, and ****.

I stir the pot occasionally, but when I do so its generally in fun. If **** gets real I make very sincere  and sober comments.

Yes, I have been trained in classical, and yes, I am aware of its complexities, and yes, I can appreciate them. However, like any form of music, the complexities and dynamics are more involved with the player and not the music. Music can be simple or complex regardless of the style.

The old "classical vs electric/shred" is an old and tired argument. Just play music and leave the debate at the door :)

Do whatever floats your boat. Just be honest and ask yourself if what you are doing is by desire or  a lack of options.

I stir the pot occasionally, but when I do so its generally in fun. If **** gets real I make very sincere  and sober comments.

Yes, I have been trained in classical, and yes, I am aware of its complexities, and yes, I can appreciate them. However, like any form of music, the complexities and dynamics are more involved with the player and not the music. Music can be simple or complex regardless of the style.

The old "classical vs electric/shred" is an old and tired argument. Just play music and leave the debate at the door :)

We can agree to disagree. The complexity of classical music is there written in the music, it's the ability of the player to be able to play that music. It doesn't sound to me like you understand music theory with a comment like that.

You shouldn't have opened the door for debate if you don't want it, kidding or not. :P

We can agree to disagree. The complexity of classical music is there written in the music, it's the ability of the player to be able to play that music. It doesn't sound to me like you understand music theory with a comment like that.

You shouldn't have opened the door for debate if you don't want it, kidding or not. :P

It sounds to me like youve had your head stuck in your theory book too long and havent bothered to notice that an electric guitar uses the same 6 strings as the nylon classical you play :)

Theory and arrangements arent exclusive to any genre. Korn may not be as "complex" as Paganini, but try having a strict classical guitarist play Gray Pianos Flying (Shawn Lane) and let me know how well that works out! lol

And, just an observation, but it really seems your trying to place an absolute value on something that really has no real need for it. lets pretend classical IS "better" (whatever the **** we decide that means) than shred, metal, etc....so what? And???

Oddly enough, this can EASILY be applied to pretty much any musician.....

Personally, I find most classical & jazz guitarists snobs. Generally because so few people give two ****s about what they play while the rock guys get all the money & babes. Its a very rich tradition of animosity :)

Sure, the educated players KNOW more and have a better skill set, but who gives a **** when you are having a great time getting laid & paid?

Its rhetorical, dont answer, just think about it

It sounds to me like youve had your head stuck in your theory book too long and havent bothered to notice that an electric guitar uses the same 6 strings as the nylon classical you play :)

Theory and arrangements arent exclusive to any genre. Korn may not be as "complex" as Paganini, but try having a strict classical guitarist play Gray Pianos Flying (Shawn Lane) and let me know how well that works out! lol

And, just an observation, but it really seems your trying to place an absolute value on something that really has no real need for it. lets pretend classical IS "better" (whatever the **** we decide that means) than shred, metal, etc....so what? And???

LOL!! I forgot mostly everything I learned about theory, and I don't play classical guitar anymore. Didn't you read what I said?

Who said classical is better? I can't stand the stuff.

I gave an opinion of something, and all it seems like you are trying to to is prove my opinion wrong, which of course you can't do.

Oddly enough, this can EASILY be applied to pretty much any musician.....

Personally, I find most classical & jazz guitarists snobs. Generally because so few people give two ****s about what they play while the rock guys get all the money & babes. Its a very rich tradition of animosity :)

Sure, the educated players KNOW more and have a better skill set, but who gives a **** when you are having a great time getting laid & paid?

Its rhetorical, dont answer, just think about it

I agree with nearly everything you've just said. Shredder is shredder, it's not just metal, jazz guys shred as well as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

LOL!! I forgot mostly everything I learned about theory, and I don't play classical guitar anymore. Didn't you read what I said?

Who said classical is better? I can't stand the stuff.

I gave an opinion of something, and all it seems like you are trying to to is prove my opinion wrong, which of course you can't do.

So what did I misunderstand about this statement from your

studying classical guitar which trumps any shredder.

I agree with nearly everything you've just said. Shredder is shredder, it's not just metal, jazz guys shred as well as far as I'm concerned. 

no doubt

and contrary to popular misconception, some do it with taste and style that can really capture the avg persons attention. Its just theres a very narrow few who can tap into that blend.

• Like 1

So what did I misunderstand about this statement from your

Like I said that's just an opinion as a guitar player and listener of music. I can see how that could have been taken that I thought classical was better than anything, I was speaking from a technical standpoint. I wouldn't have dropped it if I thought it was better.

We should broaden this thread to include guitar-esque instruments. I'm getting a lot of joy from playing the ukulele and the dulcimer at the moment. Hoping to wangle a banjo out of the missus for Christmas.

This thread actually made me sad, I had to sell my Burgundy Gibson Les Paul studio not so long ago (well 10 years, but still hurts!)

• Like 1

We should broaden this thread to include guitar-esque instruments. I'm getting a lot of joy from playing the ukulele and the dulcimer at the moment. Hoping to wangle a banjo out of the missus for Christmas.

This thread actually made me sad, I had to sell my Burgundy Gibson Les Paul studio not so long ago (well 10 years, but still hurts!)

grumpy-cat-says-no.jpg

Some nice guitars here so far! Sorry guys, no clue how to properly embed a pic, hopefully I'm doing it correctly, if not, don't mind me and carry on.

Here are 4 of my electrics, 2 of them nothing too special, 2 of them worth more than our van. I'm a musician, been playing for 27 years, so a couple are "pro" axes.

264tkd1.jpg

• Like 1

The most beautiful guitar I've ever seen, as played by Tony Iommi on the old Sabbath song Voodoo on the Heaven and Hell: Live From Radio City Music Hall DVD. Gibson SG Custom with a Floyd Rose. I'm currently in the process of building a budget (right handed) tribute to this guitar using a white Epiphone G-400 with Gibson USA electronics including Iommi's signature pickups, Grover locking tuners, a Graphtec nut, and a Bigsby instead of the Floyd. 

SG_Tony-Iommi.jpg

• Like 3

I oike using picks, but I usually just play with a penny.  I can't keep track of picks and there's always a penny around somewhere.

Always wanted to get into learning how to play one but never got round to it, maybe I'll give it a go after I finish university, they're pretty pricey aren't they?

• Like 2

I play bass so my two main working instruments are these

FenderJazzBassDeluxe1996.jpg

Fender Jazz deluxe, in cream as pictured

corvette$$4.jpg

Warwick Corvette $$, this is my baby.

I also have an Ibanez acoustic bass, and a couple of cheapo squire strat 6 strings, and an Ashton acoustic 6 string, and use a Hartke hybrid 2X10 wedge combo.

Edited by TigerChamp
  • Like 3

Always wanted to get into learning how to play one but never got round to it, maybe I'll give it a go after I finish university, they're pretty pricey aren't they?

never too late to start mayne

• Like 1

do it, its so worth it. I started around january and can't put the thing down.

• Like 1

If you do some research and shop around, a decent (used), guitar can be found for under $300. You can even find some real gems for less than $500.

• Like 1

If you do some research and shop around, a decent (used), guitar can be found for under $300. You can even find some real gems for less than $500.

so very true! In started playing in the early 90's and a good cheap guitar was hard to find. Now they seem to grow on trees!

• Like 1

I started playing a couple of years ago but got stuck for a while cause i did not have enough time to practice so i got a bit frustrated. I will get back to it someday, it is definitely a lot of fun. I would totally recomend it.

• Like 1