Pigs-On-The-Wing

SN43's Movie Discussion Thread!

Produced by Joe Valenti, directed by Joe Valenti,  cinematography by Joe Valenti, catering by Joe Valenti, Porta-Potties by Joe Valenti-

It sucked by Joe Valenti 🖕

image.png.f7369ed2c3a3a559cbd9c0758fc15e33.png

Just watched escape from Alcatraz...basically shawshank ripped off from this movie big time.....disappointed....its basically a reboot.

New Guy - taken a shine to by a bully homosexual
New Guy - befriends influential black man who helps him out
New Guy - shares food with old guy that keeps a pet, feeds it to pet
Old Guy - freaks out and dies (cf Brooks Hatlin)
New Guy - has above average IQ
New Guy - finds corrosion in stone walls and begins to dig his way out.
Warden - harsh, heartless jerk takes away painting privileges
New Guy - confronts harsh Warden
Excessive and brutally long periods in "the hole" or isolation
New Guy - walks in yard and secretly dumps dirt from wall from his pants

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 6:40 AM, VertFTW said:

Just watched escape from Alcatraz...basically shawshank ripped off from this movie big time.....disappointed....its basically a reboot.

New Guy - taken a shine to by a bully homosexual
New Guy - befriends influential black man who helps him out
New Guy - shares food with old guy that keeps a pet, feeds it to pet
Old Guy - freaks out and dies (cf Brooks Hatlin)
New Guy - has above average IQ
New Guy - finds corrosion in stone walls and begins to dig his way out.
Warden - harsh, heartless jerk takes away painting privileges
New Guy - confronts harsh Warden
Excessive and brutally long periods in "the hole" or isolation
New Guy - walks in yard and secretly dumps dirt from wall from his pants

The old Eastwood movie? It's been so long since I saw it, don't remember anything about it.

5 hours ago, DoomPatrol said:

The old Eastwood movie? It's been so long since I saw it, don't remember anything about it.

Yeah, it's on Netflix you need to rewatch it...its better than shawshank IMO....and more original

On 10/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, gadgets19 said:

@Bezerker101

Seized

Mario Van Peebles, Uriah Hall and some scrub named Scott Adkins.

Passable

I liked Legacy of Lies much better

image.jpeg.ce7c322c4afa17a531f2ff9f01bc57f0.jpeg

👉  good heads-up/ good movie > the Uriah fight cameo was  👍

( late release judging by the outdated vehicles ....)

On 10/19/2020 at 4:52 AM, VertFTW said:

Yeah, it's on Netflix you need to rewatch it...its better than shawshank IMO....and more original

They're about as similar as Shawshank and The Rock tbh.

I like Escape from Alcatraz, but given it's based on a true story, I'm not sure I'd praise it so highly for it's originality.  Any film with Patrick McGoohan in it is worth a watch though.

Would agree that Shawshank was arguably the most over-rated film of the 90s (at least until the Green Mile came out)

1 hour ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

They're about as similar as Shawshank and The Rock tbh.

I like Escape from Alcatraz, but given it's based on a true story, I'm not sure I'd praise it so highly for it's originality.  Any film with Patrick McGoohan in it is worth a watch though.

Would agree that Shawshank was arguably the most over-rated film of the 90s (at least until the Green Mile came out)

How dare you...

Green Mile GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

Since we're on the topic, Smokin Aces is the most UNDERRATED film and Im prepared to die on that hill. 

Trey Smith ar Twitter: “it's wild that 'smokin aces' had this cast and  everyone forgot about this movie… ”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched it a couple nights ago for the first time in a long time and feel like it should be studied by scholars for centuries. How it got that cast on such a low budget and why it wasn't better received. 

1 hour ago, POTUF said:

How dare you...

Green Mile GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 hours 9 minutes mate.....i mean 20 minutes of that was them chasing a mouse around, and another 15 minutes watching Tom Hanks try to pee.  It was a good film, but not a great one.

56 minutes ago, POTUF said:

Just watched it a couple nights ago for the first time in a long time and feel like it should be studied by scholars for centuries. How it got that cast on such a low budget and why it wasn't better received. 

Shockingly, I've never seen that film. As you're usually a fairly sound film reviewer, i will add it to the shortlist for my Wednesday movie night with the missus. Thank you kindly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

3 hours 9 minutes mate.....i mean 20 minutes of that was them chasing a mouse around, and another 15 minutes watching Tom Hanks try to pee.  It was a good film, but not a great one.

Shockingly, I've never seen that film. As you're usually a fairly sound film reviewer, i will add it to the shortlist for my Wednesday movie night with the missus. Thank you kindly.

I'm honestly not sure if it's Mrs Sparks approved but it's a bit like an American Guy Ritchie movie I suppose. If it was all C list celebrities, it probably wouldn't be as good cause you can't picture them killing off so many big names so unceremoniously but sure enough. It's an entertaining one. 

• Thanks 1

Will be watching Marty throw heavy hands on Biff like I do on Back to the Future Day every year

Back to the Future' day is October 21, 2015 - Business Insider

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just when this thread was starting to get insteresting Bezerker starts with his incessant spamming again lol.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

Just when this thread was starting to get insteresting Bezerker starts with his incessant spamming again lol.....

You mean you'd prefer to actually talk about movies than simply scroll through a list of the 5 films he's watched in the last 24 hours? Weird.  Anyone would think this was called a movie discussion thread...

• Like 1

Just now, Bubba_Sparks said:

You mean you'd prefer to actually talk about movies than simply scroll through a list of the 5 films he's watched in the last 24 hours? Weird.  Anyone would think this was called a movie discussion thread...

Speaking of, I expect a 5 page review of Smokin Aces by days end mate. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, POTUF said:

Speaking of, I expect a 5 page review of Smokin Aces by days end mate. 

You put me off it by saying it was a Guy Ritchie-esque non Mrs Sparks approved film, so we watched 7 years in Tibet instead :(

13 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

You put me off it by saying it was a Guy Ritchie-esque non Mrs Sparks approved film, so we watched 7 years in Tibet instead :(

The Guy Ritchie comparison was only to pander to your English sensibilities. It's probably equal parts Tarantino'ish but not sure that would appeal to Mrs Sparks either. It's probably the most fun I've had in a theater though.