Sign in to follow this  
Most_Known_Unknown

Sean Spencer gets paid show & win money following controversial loss against Cathal Pendred

cathal-pendred-sean-spencer.jpg?w=1000

Cathal Pendred and Sean Spencer

Despite a controversial decision loss to Cathal Pendred at this past Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 59, Sean Spencer will be getting his show and win money.

The UFC welterweight today told MMAjunkie Radio that the promotion approved the pay bump on Tuesday, two days after judges unanimously ruled him the loser of a three-round fight he appeared to be dominating.

“(UFC President) Dana (White) has been real supportive with this whole thing,” Spencer wrote via text message following his interview.

A UFC official confirmed Spencer (12-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) was paid his full purse, which, according to disclosed payrolls, is $28,000. Pendred (16-2-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC), meanwhile, took home a disclosed $16,000.

Two judges, Eric Colon and Doug Crosby, awarded Pendred all three rounds of the fight, giving him a 30-27 victory, while the third, David Ginsberg, issued a 29-28 score, awarding Pendred Rounds 2 and 3 and Spencer the opening frame.

The judges were hired by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission, which oversaw UFC Fight Night 59 at Boston’s TD Garden. The event’s main card aired live on FOX Sports 1 while the prelims, including Pendred vs. Spencer, aired live on FOX Sports 1 and streamed on UFC Fight Pass.

Spencer knocked Pendred to the mat with a punch in the first round, which likely won him the frame on Ginsberg’s scorecard. But he also dominated the remaining portions of the fight, repeatedly hitting Pendred with a right hand. Despite giving up several takedowns, Spencer minimized the damage done, avoiding a submission attempt in the second.

After the fight, White and UFC commentator Joe Rogan panned the decision on camera.

At the event’s post-fight news conference, White told MMAjunkie he had scored the fight for Spencer, whose previous bout ended in a unanimous decision over Paulo Thiago. He is now 3-3 in the UFC, while Pendred, a veteran of “The Ultimate Fighter 19,” sits at 3-0.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 59, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/sean-spencer-says-hes-getting-paid-show-win-money-following-controversial-decision-loss?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by HiTeMnSuBmiTem
  • Like 3

Great news.

Does Henderson get his win money too?

lolno.gif

• Like 8

his striking was so bad, i mean he trains mma and if i randomly picked 40 guys off the street and made them throw punches 99% of them would throw em with better technique than this can

I can't believe how far the sport has evolved but year after year the judging lags behind, some of these guys need a wakeup call. Cecil Peoples I'm looking in your direction

Edited by TkoByMurder

Has anybody re-watched the fight yet? I re-watched it a couple nights ago and it was much closer than what a lot of people think. I could definitely see a case for Pendred winning. Could have been a draw also. He had octagon control and a lot of take downs after being rocked in the 1st. His striking even started to pick up near the end of the fight even tho it was very poor in the beginning.

I'm glad Spencer is getting paid cause I like him also but I think Joe's commentary made it seem more like Spencer was dominating. It had that effect on me after re-watching it. It was much closer than a lot of people think. Go and watch it again