MMA and PGA golf - the race to the bottom

UFCCagerattler

These two `sports`are hurting big time for ratings. The PGA is lost without Tiger Woods and especially without Tiger Woods winning. Who knows if and when a new personality will come along to create some interest. The Boom of the 90s is being followed by a bust. MMA is likewise following a Boom with an apparent bust. The Fox deal is a question mark but the PPV model is dying. The million buy PPVs are a thing of the past and even the return of Lesnar is unlikely to return them to the glory days of ever , a increasing fan interest. His last fight in the UFC barely broke 500,000 buys. 

PPV in general is dying. 

I believe there's a boxing fight scheduled for May that will beg to differ.

PPV isn't dying. The brands that use PPV aren't as hot as they were. The last two UFC shows prove that if you put on something people want to see, they'll buy it. The problem for the companies on PPV is they don't have as many things that people want to see as they did in the past.

• Like 1

PPV isn't dying. The brands that use PPV aren't as hot as they were. The last two UFC shows prove that if you put on something people want to see, they'll buy it. The problem for the companies on PPV is they don't have as many things that people want to see as they did in the past.

They have not cracked the million PPV buys since I don;t know when. COuture v Liddel outsold JonesvCormier.

didnt you hear, according to this forum boxing is dead

They have not cracked the million PPV buys since I don;t know when. COuture v Liddel outsold JonesvCormier.

They've only had like half a dozen million buy shows in their history. It's not like every month they were doing a million buys.

And no, Couture/Liddell didn't outsell Jones/Cormier. Couture/Liddell did 48,000, 280,000, and 400,000 respectively for each of their three fights.

Liddell/Ortiz 2 outsold Jones/Cormier, so that might be the one you're thinking of.

The last time they did a million was only 14 months ago. It was UFC 168.

Also, Lesnar's last fight only doing a little over 500,000 doesn't really mean all that much, because they did that show on a Friday night, rather than the normal Saturday night, so that hurt it significantly. I remember even a couple of days before the show a lot of people didn't realize it was on Friday instead of Saturday.

Yes I was think UFC66 whoever that was. Which was a long time ago.

Only million PPV gate they have had in a long time was Andy Weidman rematch. How often are you going to have a guy on a run like Andy?

Under special circumstances I can see a million buys, but its not going to be happening much.

They have just blitzed January with three big cards and not done a million. 500K is going to be a big event. The idea that they were going to do million PPVs all the time was just wrong. 

Under special circumstances I can see a million buys, but its not going to be happening much.

It never did happen much. Even when they were at their hottest. I was just looking at a list of all of the PPV buy numbers for UFC, and I counted seven Million buy shows, three of which were Lesnar (Couture, Mir 2, and Carwin), one was 168, one was Rampage/Rashad, one was Liddell/Ortiz 2, and the seventh was Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans. That's it.

It was the MirII fight that got everyone`s attention because it did 1.6. The rest were right around 1 million.

I think Weidman v Machida is a big fight these days. That`s a champion and a former champion. It did 500K or so.

Jones Cormier did about 800K and that`s the biggest fight of the year right there.

I suspect Aldo/McGregor Lawler/Mcdonald card will go over a million..and ufc 187 will go over 750k

Aldo's last two PPVs did 180K. If he does 1 million its all on McGilicutty.

Hendricks Lawler did 300K, Hendricks Lawler ii did 400K.

I doubt Lawler Rory will do 400K

McGregor draws the numbers plus 2 title fights and I imagine they will stack the rest of the card, plus its the international fight week card im pretty confident it will go over a million