It's the UFCs fault that big name fighters rarely fight

''I'm down to fight anytime,' because I never stop training." - Lyoto Machida

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/24/8097511/morning-report-ufc-lyoto-machida-anderson-silva-vitor-belfort-ronda-rousey-cat-zingano-mma-news

They could have big name exciting fighters like Machida fight 4/5 times a year, instead they only give them fights every 4-6 months. I don't understand why the ufc is shooting itself in the foot. 

Just because Machida is ready to fight all the time doesn't mean all of the top guys are.

Yes they are. The vast majority of them train year round. Before getting into the ufc they all used to fight 4,5,6,7+ times a year. They are ALL ready to fight every month or two. The training is the problem here. Overtraining and constant injuries go hand and hand. 

I'd say sometimes. I wouldn't go as far as Most of the Time.

I'll give you that. It's usually his opponent that dictates of the fight will be a fun one or not. Like the Weidman fight was GOAT... But the Paige fight sucked.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/24/8097511/morning-report-ufc-lyoto-machida-anderson-silva-vitor-belfort-ronda-rousey-cat-zingano-mma-news

They could have big name exciting fighters like Machida fight 4/5 times a year, instead they only give them fights every 4-6 months. I don't understand why the ufc is shooting itself in the foot. 

Didn't he turn down Jones fight when someone dropped out?

You're 100x more likely to have a 3 way with the ring girls then to get Cain to fight once a year, let alone 4/5 times.

There are a lot of reasons why a fighters fights once or twice a year tho. Cant blame UFC only.

1. Injury

2. Not able to cut the weight in short periods.

3. DUCKING someone or not willing to fight lower ranked. Or some cases, nothing else other than a title shot.

4. No suitable opponent available

5. Contract issues

6. Etc

It is not just UFCs fault tho. Hold on, man.

If they would stop training like cavemen they would get injured far less frequently.  That's my only issue with Weidman and Velasquez.  Their inability to train properly.  If you are getting injured time and time again during a training camp something is wrong with your camp and you need to change it.

Full contact sparring is putting unnecessary mileage on your body and you aren't even getting paid for it.  This isn't Chutebox 2002 ffs.

Archived