An intriguing moral issue with female fighters.

najma

In the recent Embedded episode (I guess it was no.4) there was a situation where Cat Zingano jokingly said she's just done the pregnancy and doping tests. From hers and her interlocutor's laughter I assumed pregnancy tests are not done (or are they?). But why wouldn't they really?

So my first question is: Are pregnancy tests for female athletes carried out or not?

Would a female athlete fighting pregnant be good for her, her fetus and the sport?

Obviously, no woman with a visible pregnancy would be allowed to fight, nor would want to fight in the first place. 

But if a woman has signed a contract for a title fight in 3 months, and 1 month prior to the fight she gets preggers, I'm sure that most often than not she would go and have the fight - which is bound to have healthy risks. And the later then obviously the higher risks. The weight is an issue as well.

Also, especially with the physical hardships of a training camp, a woman athlete may not be aware she's pregnant (in the early stages of pregnancy).

One is sure, such situation will happen or has happened and needs to be regulated.

It surely must've happend in other sports. But this is a combat sport where you get kicked in the stomach that we are talking about.

What's your take on this?

----------------

EDIT. NSAC does require prego tests indeed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Pregnant-woman-wins-fight-but-now-out-of-the-mi?urn=mma-wp1162

Never really thought about it I imagine its a test all female fighters have to take probably along with there drug tests.

Even at early stages of a pregnancy the training camp alone could put her at serious risk. Granted this is something I had never really thought of till you mentioned this but um sure the ufc must have safeguards against this.

I'm more curious if they let them fight on their monthlies. Like. Imagine a Chuck Liddell crap to strikes moment, but that horrifying devil breakfast.

I'm gonna go spoon my eyes out

No you've got it all wrong. They should only fight on their periods. Would make them more aggressive and produce better fights.

Then the UFC can make a boatload of money with their own line of sports tampons.

"Choke out your period with UFC pads"

Meisha is the spokeswoman. "I'm OK with bleeding in the octagon, but only out of my face. That's why I use UFC pads."

You're welcome Dana

Edited by I_Bask_in_the_Turbulence_of_Bubba_Sparks'_Magnificence
  • Like 1

My wife was just resting my head on my shoulder and could see the page as I was reading it, she's never been exposed to the forum, she asked me if you guys were being mean to each other.

Nope. That's just the way we talk, you idiot. Now tell your wife to go cook you some breakfast.

On topic though... najma pls  :(

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 4

"Are pregnancy tests for female athletes carried out or not?"

Don't know about other sports but in MMA they've been doing it since the beginning afaik. 

"Would a female athlete fighting pregnant be good for her, her fetus and the sport?"

If she wanted to risk a miscarriage, not get an abortion and continue along with her career then i suppose yes. In no situation would it be 'good' for the fetus but that would be her choice. I don't see how it would be 'good' for the sport from a PR perspective but it could be good if nobody found out and the fighter still got to fight i suppose. 

It's kinda of funny thinking about it^^. If a woman has an abortion fine no problem for most people ( besides hardcore conservatives and religious nuts ). If the same woman fought in a cage pregnant and was fine with having a miscarriage and would get it aborted after anyway she'd probably be looked at by most as a horrible psycho lady with issues. 

"What's your take on this?"

Damn i'm posting in a Namja thread. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 2

One could also assume that if a fight were to be canceled due to pregnancy that woman fighter could try to cover her pregnancy with some chemicals to fool the test.

There's plenty of situations that you have to consider that a single pre-fight prego test doesn't address.

"Are pregnancy tests for female athletes carried out or not?"

Don't know about other sports but in MMA they've been doing it since the beginning afaik. 

"Would a female athlete fighting pregnant be good for her, her fetus and the sport?"

If she wanted to risk a miscarriage, not get an abortion and continue along with her career then i suppose yes. In no situation would it be 'good' for the fetus but that would be her choice. I don't see how it would be 'good' for the sport from a PR perspective but it could be good if nobody found out and the fighter still got to fight i suppose. 

It's kinda of funny thinking about it^^. If a woman has an abortion fine no problem for most people ( besides hardcore conservatives and religious nuts ). If the same woman fought in a cage pregnant and was fine with having a miscarriage and would get it aborted after anyway she'd probably be looked at by most as a horrible psycho lady with issues. 

"What's your take on this?"

Damn i'm posting in a Namja thread. 

****. That is a weird situation. Can you imagine if one day the UFC starts covering medical expenses like this? A LOLWMMALOL fighter tests positive still wants to fight and the UFC starts covering abortion costs? That would be a ****storm.

I don't think they would let a female fighter fight while pregnant though. That would also cause the media to lose its mind.

If you want crazy, picture this:

A girl is fighting for the championship 3 months pregnant, her opponent - who happens to be Fallon Fox - kicks her in the stomach causing a miscarriage, basically aborting the fetus inside the octagon, which leds to intensive bleeding. The fetus dies.

Fox later tests positive for elevated levels of testosterone (and she has a legal TRT exemption). 

If you want crazy, picture this:

A girl is fighting for the championship 3 months pregnant, her opponent - who happens to be Fallon Fox - kicks her in the stomach causing a miscarriage, basically aborting the fetus inside the octagon, which leds to intensive bleeding. The fetus dies.

Fox later tests positive for elevated levels of testosterone (and she has a legal TRT exemption).

@FH,

Is that a fatality or babality?