Zingano's camp

Schtick

"OK, so you'll be facing arguably the greatest Judo practitioner to ever enter the Octagon. Your one advantage, if you have one, is your strength and striking. One good way to get the fight started would be to leave your feet and get offbalance, while providing your opponent as much momentum to work with as possible."

If there was even a 1% chance that Zingano would decide to start that match the way she did, then she needs to fire her entire training staff and find a new location to prepare. Barring that, I don't think she deserves another chance.

It was such a poor decision it almost seems fixed. How could you possibly prepare with a full training staff including fight analysts, and decide the best way to start the fight is like that. It's embarassing, mostly for her trainers and advisors.

Edited by Schtick
  • Like 3

"OK, so you'll be facing arguably the greatest Judo practitioner to ever enter the Octagon. Your one advantage, if you have one, is your strength and striking. One good way to get the fight started would be to leave your feet and get offbalance, while providing your opponent as much momentum to work with as possible."

If there was even a 1% chance that Zingano would decide to start that match the way she did, then she needs to fire her entire training staff and find a new location to prepare. Barring that, I don't think she deserves another chance.

It was such a poor decision it almost seems fixed. How could you possibly prepare with a full training staff including fight analysts, and decide the best way to start the fight is like that. It's embarassing, mostly for her trainers and advisors.

That's easy for you to say now that it went poorly, but if Cat would have landed that flying knee and KO'd Ronda, you'd be calling her and her camp some geniuses.

Cat took a chance and it didn't pay off.

• Like 7

Totally agree. How could they -  her camp her trainers her people -  have her open with the one move that Ronda is the queen at,and not expect her to capitalize as she did and end the sloppy mess with a few brilliant wraps and completely destroy her "attack" and dominate her in a matter of seconds

The issue is that Cat has to deal not only with a gross overestimation of some of her skills but a much more harrowing issue of her teams inability to overall assess and  judge her opponents skills, strengths, skills and speed. These people were so wrong, had ample time months- to get together a realistic plan. She needs to fire them, not even think about Rousy again, instead find someone else on her level Good luck 

• Like 3

Totally agree. How could they -  her camp her trainers her people -  have her open with the one move that Ronda is the queen at,and not expect her to capitalize as she did and end the sloppy mess with a few brilliant wraps and completely destroy her "attack" and dominate her in a matter of seconds

The issue is that Cat has to deal not only with a gross overestimation of some of her skills but a much more harrowing issue of her teams inability to overall assess and  judge her opponents skills, strengths, skills and speed. These people were so wrong, had ample time months- to get together a realistic plan. She needs to fire them, not even think about Rousy again, instead find someone else on her level Good luck 

A LoLwmma fight has led to new members posting on the forum.

UFC is dead.

• Like 5

That's easy for you to say now that it went poorly, but if Cat would have landed that flying knee and KO'd Ronda, you'd be calling her and her camp some geniuses.

Definitely would not be doing so in any case. Even if the knee had landed AND KO'd Ronda (a laughable possiblity), I would immediately call it a fluke. Coming out aggressive and applying pressure is one thing. Leaving the mat against an opponent like this, especially early, you may as well be submitting yourself.

Fixed. Let's not exaggerate.

I said 'arguably'. Some people (maybe not you or I), would make that argument. She certainly has the accolades to make that argument. Although I would agree with you in that she hasn't faced stiff enough competition to warrant that title.

Anyhow, I don't want this to derail, as it's irrellevant to the topic. There's certainly no argument that she's the best Woman Judo practitioner in the game today, and I stand by my original post regarding the 100% incompetence of Zingano's camp.

Edited by Schtick

Definitely would not be doing so in any case. Even if the knee had landed AND KO'd Ronda (a laughable possiblity), I would immediately call it a fluke. Coming out aggressive and applying pressure is one thing. Leaving the mat against an opponent like this, especially early, you may as well be submitting yourself.

I'm sure you would have.

anigif_optimized-1418-1419010297-6.gif

Edited by Uncle_Polo
  • Like 6

I'm sure you would have.

Let's put it this way... When asked how I thought Zingano would have a chance in the fight. I suggested she focus on take down defence, maintaining balance/positioning and preventing herself from getting locked up. It doesn't take a genius to note that a fight initiating flying knee knockout against a champion like Rousy would be a fluke. It's common sense, that her camp didn't have.

Alts?

If you're referring to me, it is my first account. I've read the forum for a while, but first time I've created an account or posted here.

*edit - Removed my question. Quick google search helped me out with term 'OP'

Edited by Schtick

She stole that game plan from the Brock LEsnar vs Cain fight.

Didn;t work so great for LEsnar either.

Brock lasted more than 14 seconds though.

Cat was going for the Aldo move like he did against Cub Swanson.

It doesn't matter how Cat trained or what gameplan she used.  She was going to lose regardless and she was going to lose sometime in the 1st round.

You said the one advantage (if she has one) would be strength and striking.  I don't think her striking is all that and she is definitely not stronger than Honda Housey.

• Like 1

WMMA is a fraud!

Good, Cat is gone now we may have only Holm and Bethe (considering Ronda wants Bethe) as UFCs last resources to try and sell Rondas fight.

I just want WMMA to get in a situation where they will NEVER be a main event at any card because people wont be interested in watching a TITLE FIGHT to see if the undefeated challenger can at least make it to the first minute of the fight!

So Aldo's win against Swanson was a fluke...

Got it

• Like 2

So Aldo's win against Swanson was a fluke...

Got it

No win over Swanson is a fluke.  He got strangled by Jens Pulver in like 30 seconds.  The delusional talk of him deserving a title shot "if he beats Edgar" was quite hilarious as if he actually stood a legitimate chance of defeating Frankie.

• Like 1

Agreed 100%. She took a big gamble figuring the payoff could be huge and worth the risk. I'm sure she was confident she could work her way out of a hole if the gamble didn't work. 

I'm sure part of it was hearing over and over what a slow starter she is and the fact that Ronda has never had to deal with adversity from the jump so she wanted to test that right away and hopefully not have to deal with deep waters after a slow start where Ronda could have a huge advantage and opportunity to seal the deal early. 

In Hindsight it seems bone headed but there is some logic to it. She figured she'll probably be in deep waters anyway which isn't good with Ronda's finishing ablitly so why not give it a shot bringing an ugly fight early to throw her off her game and maybe seal the deal before Ronda can adjust.