Is the Bible still Relevant today?

The Bible's current Relevancy  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Bible still Relevant to Society today?

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it is.  Everything in it may not be true but if there's one book that should be read more, it is this book.  Most people have forgotten what it is to be human. .... What it means to be generous, kind, loving, respectful, etc...and sadly we don't teach these things in the school system anymore....so essentially, this book is our last hope for mankind.

Yes, it is.  Everything in it may not be true but if there's one book that should be read more, it is this book.  Most people have forgotten what it is to be human. .... What it means to be generous, kind, loving, respectful, etc...and sadly we don't teach these things in the school system anymore....so essentially, this book is our last hope for mankind.

Leviticus 20:9 If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.
20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house.

Exodus 35:2 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

20:10-17 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby. 

Ezekiel 20:25-26 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts—the sacrifice of every firstborn—that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Exodus 21:20-21 If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

1 Peter 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men.

2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Leviticus 25:44-45 Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

right........

Leviticus 20:9 If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.
20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house.

Exodus 35:2 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

20:10-17 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby. 

Ezekiel 20:25-26 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts—the sacrifice of every firstborn—that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.

Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Exodus 21:20-21 If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

1 Peter 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men.

2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Leviticus 25:44-45 Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property.

right........

OMG... you've gone absolutely mental. lol!

Neither Bible is all about being "loving, caring, respectful, etc." like Jason implied. The Jewish Bible has plenty of bigotry in it, as does the Christian New Testament..... Let's not even talk about the Q'uran -_-

This is all the stuff I've said in the past that caused you to go ballistic on me, telling me I have no respect for people's religion. You're crazy, lol!! I gotta hand it to you, you had me in for the long troll. Bravo, I salute you.

This is all the stuff I've said in the past that caused you to go ballistic on me, telling me I have no respect for people's religion. You're crazy, lol!! I gotta hand it to you, you had me in for the long troll. Bravo, I salute you.

I have respect but to imply that it's all about one thing, or the one source of information.... is nonsense. It's a good book and there are great lessons in it. But if everyone followed it to a T..... we'd be f***ed up by today's standards.

I have respect but to imply that it's all about one thing, or the one source of information.... is nonsense. It's a good book and there are great lessons in it. But if everyone followed it to a T..... we'd be f***ed up by today's standards.

My problem has always been primarily with the texts, and I've always said that. People can believe whatever they want, so long as they act decent. 

My problem has always been primarily with the texts, and I've always said that. People can believe whatever they want, so long as they act decent. 

And that's a polite way to put it, which is not the approach you took with Dion. Which is where my dispute with you began with, that and from you calling me on saying "technically the word "witch" isn't used in the bible lol" which TECHNICALLY it isn't lol considering the word wasn't around when Jews wrote their holy book for the first time. There was a different language.

People can believe whatever they want, and I have a mentality of I don't know if there's a God, so I can't tell you there isn't.

Let me tell you guys a story..

Two men went to the temple to pray to God.  One, a Pharisee and the other, a tax collector.  The Pharisee goes straight to the temple and prays to God and thanks God that he is not like other men who are sinful.  The tax collector is afraid to enter the temple and stands afar while he prays.  "God, I am a sinner.  Please have mercy on me?" 

Jesus was standing near and he went to the tax collector and said, " I am the Son of God.  Rise.  Your sins are forgiven."

The Pharisee was confused as to why he was not risen by Jesus. 

Jesus later told the story to his disciples and said, " He who praise himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

And that's a polite way to put it, which is not the approach you took with Dion. Which is where my dispute with you began with, that and from you calling me on saying "technically the word "witch" isn't used in the bible lol" which TECHNICALLY it isn't lol considering the word wasn't around when Jews wrote their holy book for the first time. There was a different language.

People can believe whatever they want, and I have a mentality of I don't know if there's a God, so I can't tell you there isn't.

I don't know if there is a god either, I never claimed to know.

I don't remember the approach I took with Dion, so I can't really comment.

Let me tell you guys a story..

Two men went to the temple to pray to God.  One, a Pharisee and the other, a tax collector.  The Pharisee goes straight to the temple and prays to God and thanks God that he is not like other men who are sinful.  The tax collector is afraid to enter the temple and stands afar while he prays.  "God, I am a sinner.  Please have mercy on me?" 

Jesus was standing near and he went to the tax collector and said, " I am the Son of God.  Rise.  Your sins are forgiven."

The Pharisee was confused as to why he was not risen by Jesus. 

Jesus later told the story to his disciples and said, " He who praise himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Hmmmm so basically you're the Pharisee and we're the tax collector then?

Hmmmm so basically you're the Pharisee and we're the tax collector then?

Funny lol.  I was actually trying to say those who don't care for the Bible and don't think they need God - are like the Pharisee and those like me who value the teachings of the Bible - are like the tax collector.

Funny lol.  I was actually trying to say those who don't care for the Bible and don't think they need God - are like the Pharisee and those like me who value the teachings of the Bible - are like the tax collector.

Who said I don't think I need God? I said I cannot say with certainty there is a God. I do not presume to know, because I don't.

You were certainly aggressive, that was basically the only reason I even got involved in the conversation.

Then we are back to perception on your part. Nearly everything coming from me is coming from a place of... silliness, so what you see as aggressive is most of the time snark. I've said it a bunch of times already, there would most likely be no conflict if these conversations were face to face. 

Then we are back to perception on your part. Nearly everything coming from me is coming from a place of... silliness, so what you see as aggressive is most of the time snark. I've said it a bunch of times already, there would most likely be no conflict if these conversations were face to face. 

That's a matter of opinion lol as far as you know telling Dion his religion is inherently evil to his face could result in a stiff right hook to your jaw.

That's a matter of opinion lol as far as you know telling Dion his religion is inherently evil to his face could result in a stiff right hook to your jaw.

LOL!!!! That wouldn't be very Christian of him now would it? Now I think I remember, it's because I said his god was evil, right?

Archived