So Ive lost over 20#'s since early January

OfWolfandMan

..and its becoming tempting to settle for the progress Ive made

Ive always been a heavier guy, so getting to this point, 5' 10" @ 220 (around 18-20%BF) feels pretty good. However, Im not a young man anymore and I really dont want to struggle with my weight againt as I get older. I am striving to be around 190/200 and 10-12%BF. From there I will work to stay within a -/+15# range. Ive never had a true 6pk before ( I have had a flat belly), and while thats not entirely what I need to achieve, it would be awesome to have at least once before I just work to maintain a normal BF range (12-15%).

• Like 6

Ive always been a heavier guy, so getting to this point, 5' 10" @ 220 (around 18-20%BF) feels pretty good. However, Im not a young man anymore and I really dont want to struggle with my weight againt as I get older. I am striving to be around 190/200 and 10-12%BF. From there I will work to stay within a -/+15# range. Ive never had a true 6pk before ( I have had a flat belly), and while thats not entirely what I need to achieve, it would be awesome to have at least once before I just work to maintain a normal BF range (12-15%).

If the lifestyle changes you've made to lose that weight haven't been too onerus - just stick with them mate.  The results will then look after themselves.

Good work so far!

• Like 3

Bubs - I would say Ive already been living a better lifestyle & improved my diet, so the need to drop fat is just a temp fix. Once I get to where I wanna be, it will be less of an issue to stay at that weight range.

That's cool. Remind me how old you are again? Seem to recall late 30's?  Great to have things in place that will keep things where you want them to be long-term.

18-20% is already the low end of average.

The numbers you are shooting for make sense only for young athletes. 

To me your goals seem illogical.

Anyone can be average dude.  "Fitness" range is quoted as 14-17%, athletic as 6-13.

I'm about 11% and I'm neither young nor an athlete.

• Like 1

That's cool. Remind me how old you are again? Seem to recall late 30's?  Great to have things in place that will keep things where you want them to be long-term.

I hit 40 this summer....and while TRT is a more viable option for older guys, I really dont wanna go down that rd. Hell, even for just working out I stay natural and dont even bother with supps. I prefer to eat right and train hard to stay in shape and get strong.

I'd just stick with what works for you man.

If you've lost a bit already so far I would just tell you to stick to whatever your doing but refine it slightly.

If it's running increase the speed and gradient slightly. Weights add more weight or reps. Also managing your portion control with your meals can go a long way.

B)

I hit 40 this summer....and while TRT is a more viable option for older guys, I really dont wanna go down that rd. Hell, even for just working out I stay natural and dont even bother with supps. I prefer to eat right and train hard to stay in shape and get strong.

Hey, when's your birthday? I hit 40 in the summer too.

Maybe I'm your alt or something.

I would rather get fat and happy than start messing with TRT, I've not heard anything good about it long-term. Sounds like you're doing all the right things; the only thing you are missing is regular updates on CB's fitness threads.

• Like 1

Hey, when's your birthday? I hit 40 in the summer too.

Maybe I'm your alt or something.

I would rather get fat and happy than start messing with TRT, I've not heard anything good about it long-term. Sounds like you're doing all the right things; the only thing you are missing is regular updates on CB's fitness threads.

late June

My father in law is a real reason why I am doing this....his years of doing things to stay in shape have led to him not needing a pharmacy of meds. I dont care about living as long as possible, just quality of life.

• Like 1

late June

My father in law is a real reason why I am doing this....his years of doing things to stay in shape have led to him not needing a pharmacy of meds. I dont care about living as long as possible, just quality of life.

Lol, you old git, mine's August.

Sounds like you've answered your own question - keep going!

Anyone can be average dude.  "Fitness" range is quoted as 14-17%, athletic as 6-13.

I'm about 11% and I'm neither young nor an athlete.

Micheal Phelps won 8 gold medals with a stable weight and 8% body fat. 

The average varsity football player might have 8% body fat and they are young and spend 3-4 hours a day training.

It seems unrealistic that someone can go 40 years of living and be overweight and then turn around and get to 8% body fat. Fat is hard to lose. Your body hangs onto it. You will lose more weight in protein than in fat. 

An unrealistic goal is going from being an over weight 40 year old to a 8% body fat 40 year old athlete with a 6 pack.

That would be a full time job and a complete change of lifestyle.

Micheal Phelps won 8 gold medals with a stable weight and 8% body fat. 

The average varsity football player might have 8% body fat and they are young and spend 3-4 hours a day training.

It seems unrealistic that someone can go 40 years of living and be overweight and then turn around and get to 8% body fat. Fat is hard to lose. Your body hangs onto it. You will lose more weight in protein than in fat. 

I actually tend to agree.,...I just wanna know why your claiming 8% is my goal? 

the difference between 10 & 8% for BF is a pretty big deal. And if you know as much as you claim based on the way you run your mouth youd know how true that is. 

And just so you know, there is a huge difference between being overweight/chunky vs obese. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome, man.  I'm doing a weight loss challenge with my relatives right now.  Started @ 158 lbs and sitting at 155 right now. 

• Like 1