Anyone ever use Uber (taxi service)

JBJF

When my brother visited me a little while back we went out a couple times and he used it for us. He swore by it and said it was much better than using a taxi service.

would you use it?

can you explain further the workings of this service?

I've never used it since we have cars, but my sister in law used it a few times.  Seems fairly accessible.

well hell we got cars too but I'm not tryin to kill anyone after many drinks. I'm also not tryin to pay double by going through a normal taxi service...

• Like 1

I use Uber in Austin. It's much better than any taxi service I've ever used. Cleaner/nicer vehicles, cheaper fares, no cash needed and the app is great for scheduling a pick up since you can set your location/destination and then keep track of your driver on the map. Lyft is a similar service available here but I've yet to use it. If you're like me and have both a personal and a work phone, get that $30 credit twice by setting up both phones.

• Like 2

I use Uber in Austin. It's much better than any taxi service I've ever used. Cleaner/nicer vehicles, cheaper fares, no cash needed and the app is great for scheduling a pick up since you can set your location/destination and then keep track of your driver on the map. Lyft is a similar service available here but I've yet to use it. If you're like me and have both a personal and a work phone, get that $30 credit twice by setting up both phones.

lol nice.

so tell me a bit more of how it works though.

ahh got ya. any advantage to using one over the other though?

i personally would rather give my money to the local guy i know and support the local business

i cant comment on Uber service as i wouldnt ever use it

Edited by fobar

i personally would rather give my money to the local guy i know and support the local business

i cant comment on Uber service as i wouldnt ever use it

From what I recall Uber uses local guys trying to make a paycheck too by hiring anyone with a good driving record, insurance, and a car who lives in one of the covered cities.

lol nice.

so tell me a bit more of how it works though.

I'm set up with payment through PayPal. When I want a ride, I open the Uber app on my phone and it pulls up a map of my location and surrounding area. On the map are car icons that represent available drivers nearby. I set my pickup location and destination (optional) and it will give me a fare estimate. Then you press the "request" button and it "pings" the nearest driver to you (if they don't respond, it will ping the next nearest, so on/so forth until a driver accepts). Once a driver accepts, it will show you their location, identify the driver's name and vehicle type and give you an ETA (this ETA can be spot on or completely absurd, depending upon if the driver is already on the road and headed your direction or not). You'll get updated text messages as the driver nears you and picks you up. Once the driver drops you off, the fare ends and the app automatically deducts the fare from my Paypal and sends me an email receipt. I am then given the option of rating the driver on a 1-5 stars scale. The driver is also given this option to rate you as a passenger (I'm guessing to weed out the belligerent drunks). Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 3

From what I recall Uber uses local guys trying to make a paycheck too by hiring anyone with a good driving record, insurance, and a car who lives in one of the covered cities.

that have no street knowledge like a taxi driver that has to actually learn the routes and qualify for the license out of there own pocket to forge a career that these guys are stealing IMHO 

that have no street knowledge like a taxi driver that has to actually learn the routes and qualify for the license out of there own pocket to forge a career that these guys are stealing IMHO 

It's hard out here for everybody, not just Taxi drivers. I'm all for guys who need some extra money to have the opportunity to make it.

• Like 2

It's hard out here for everybody, not just Taxi drivers. I'm all for guys who need some extra money to have the opportunity to make it.

and stealing the careers of hard working guys that had to pay for that profession.  seems fair to me

Why wouldn't they have street knowledge? These are the same people who drive the same roads everyday. Sure they may not know every in and out but when you're looking to get from point a to point b in the cheapest manner possible why do you need that?

By using the established taxis in your city are you nto taking away the jobs from the people just trying to get some money by being an Uber driver? I feel like your argument of them taking away jobs is not very valid. Both of the taxi services used in the argument are large companies that have many partners. The addition of another cab service will not eliminate a certain company from existence thus taking away jobs. Furthermore, the demand for a cab is ever increasing meaning that the addition of another company isn't taking away from the established cab services. it seems like you're using the same argument many use to petition against big box stores from coming into a local town and putting the mom and pop shops out of business. That type of argument I don't feel applies in this situation.

I understand your points in not wanting to go with the company that seems to be purposely undercutting the competition, but I don't see how in this situation it is neccessary a bad thing. Especially if the established cab service is operating partially through city funds.

and stealing the careers of hard working guys that had to pay for that profession.  seems fair to me

Those people people can can get a job easily through Uber. and with the lower fares they are going to be tipped more.

The knowledge that I have now, when i could pay half as much with another service, I'm not going to tip the more expensive guy a cent.

Why wouldn't they have street knowledge? These are the same people who drive the same roads everyday. Sure they may not know every in and out but when you're looking to get from point a to point b in the cheapest manner possible why do you need that?

By using the established taxis in your city are you nto taking away the jobs from the people just trying to get some money by being an Uber driver? I feel like your argument of them taking away jobs is not very valid. Both of the taxi services used in the argument are large companies that have many partners. The addition of another cab service will not eliminate a certain company from existence thus taking away jobs. Furthermore, the demand for a cab is ever increasing meaning that the addition of another company isn't taking away from the established cab services. it seems like you're using the same argument many use to petition against big box stores from coming into a local town and putting the mom and pop shops out of business. That type of argument I don't feel applies in this situation.

I understand your points in not wanting to go with the company that seems to be purposely undercutting the competition, but I don't see how in this situation it is neccessary a bad thing. Especially if the established cab service is operating partially through city funds.

like i said, its just my opinion and i dont like it.   nothing more

you did ask the questions and i gave the answers lol

• Like 1

Those people people can can get a job easily through Uber. and with the lower fares they are going to be tipped more.

The knowledge that I have now, when i could pay half as much with another service, I'm not going to tip the more expensive guy a cent.

not sure everyone will feel the same way as you about the tipping lol

i use a reliable firm i know and tip all the drivers the same as they provide a safe service for everyone

with Uber there is no insurance that the person picking you up is legit

I don't agree with the assessment that you have insurance that the person picking you up is legit if you are using a 'reliable' firm. The last time I took a taxi, I paid in advance, disclosed that my party was 2 adults and 2 children requiring car seats but I would have the car seats. The vehicle showed up with space only for 2 car seats and an 1 adult... The options we were given... 'You could wait for me to get another car but that will be about an hour and half and then would put you in rush hour, you could just hold one of your kids and we could load the car seat, or you could have your wife sit in your lap.' not very reliable, no discount, asked for my wife to duck when we were at a stop, still drove imo dangerously, and finally still asked for tips. Should have just used Uber...

Those guys sought out a way to earn money by giving people rides to their destination, I don't see why they are more worthy than anyone else to take advantage of an opportunity to earn income for themselves and their families.

• Like 2

Those guys sought out a way to earn money by giving people rides to their destination, I don't see why they are more worthy than anyone else to take advantage of an opportunity to earn income for themselves and their families.

just my opinion, you dont have to agree with it :)

if they want to earn money by being a taxi driver, go and get the licence and join the union

• Like 1

I don't agree with the assessment that you have insurance that the person picking you up is legit if you are using a 'reliable' firm. The last time I took a taxi, I paid in advance, disclosed that my party was 2 adults and 2 children requiring car seats but I would have the car seats. The vehicle showed up with space only for 2 car seats and an 1 adult... The options we were given... 'You could wait for me to get another car but that will be about an hour and half and then would put you in rush hour, you could just hold one of your kids and we could load the car seat, or you could have your wife sit in your lap.' not very reliable, no discount, asked for my wife to duck when we were at a stop, still drove imo dangerously, and finally still asked for tips. Should have just used Uber...

maybe its different where you live, but i can only speak from my experience

We have Sober Guy here which is the service I normally use. They show up with a vehicle and two drivers. One driver drives your personal vehicle home for you and the other follows. You can load multiple people in both vehicles and it's still the same cost unless you have 3+ stops to make. It's $20 but well worth it for me not to have to get a ride back to get my vehicle the next day.

• Like 3

**** everything is different over here... I feel like it's even more different where I live compared to the rest of the U.S.

if that happened here i could have had another cab in 10 minutes and the original guy would lose the fair.   guess what, it wouldnt happen here :P

just my opinion, you dont have to agree with it :)

if they want to earn money by being a taxi driver, go and get the licence and join the union

Cool.

I like that uber provides people with an opportunity to make some side cash. I don't think the guys driving for it are using this as a full time position. I almost considered doing this myself as I could use the extra cash dealing with all the bs of my divorce.

• Like 2

Cool.

I like that uber provides people with an opportunity to make some side cash. I don't think the guys driving for it are using this as a full time position. I almost considered doing this myself as I could use the extra cash dealing with all the bs of my divorce.

i get that too, i just see that they are undercutting the real taxi drivers and making their job harder.  is that really fair?  thats a whole debate on its own lol

If the rates become more competitive then the taxi drivers will earn back their business, if not they will be phased out by competition offering a better value.

That's capitalism m8.

Edited by 12er
  • Like 2

If the rates become more competitive then the taxi drivers will earn back their business, if not they will be phased out by competition offering a better value.

That's capitalism m8.

being under cut by people doing this as and when they need some extra cash is not fair.   thats all

call it what you want, i still wont agree with it :)

• Like 1

being under cut by people doing this as and when they need some extra cash is not fair.   thats all

call it what you want, i still wont agree with it :)

As a man who has moved a lot in my life, I am well aware of how sleazy cab drivers can be, many of them will attempt to drive you around aimlessly if they know you are unfamiliar with the area. 

So I'm not going to shed a tear for what's fair to the cab drivers, they can eat a fat ****.

• Like 3

As a man who has moved a lot in my life, I am well aware of how sleazy cab drivers can be, many of them will attempt to drive you around aimlessly if they know you are unfamiliar with the area. 

So I'm not going to shed a tear for what's fair to the cab drivers, they can eat a fat ****.

i like said to JBJF, i can only talk about my experience.  

• Like 1

This happened when my brother tried using it. It just turned out there weren't very many drivers working that evening and none of them were near by.

Yeah I might look at i again later. I don't use taxis often but another option would be nice. During busy parts of the night taxis have been known to no show around here.

Dam Fo I didn't take you for a whiny little girl. Aww the old outdated business model of ripping people off to drive 5 miles while in a filthy smelly veichle is getting crushed by the new generations fair use of paid transportation.

Your pops must be or of been a cab driver.

If you can't compete then step aside, this is a free market.

We have Sober Guy here which is the service I normally use. They show up with a vehicle and two drivers. One driver drives your personal vehicle home for you and the other follows. You can load multiple people in both vehicles and it's still the same cost unless you have 3+ stops to make. It's $20 but well worth it for me not to have to get a ride back to get my vehicle the next day.

Now that is a badass service

• Like 1