Question for non-guitarists

OfWolfandMan

Do you notice or even care about most guitar solos?

Its kind of an ongoing discussion that guitarists have been debating for several decades now. 

Some cite Van Halen as to how and why a good solo works and is important. Others say most solos are often forgotten as soon as they are over and just waste time.

• Like 1

Any rock song worth its salt usually has a good solo through it. Personally love a solo myself.

Top 5

1. Crazy - Aerosmith

2. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

3. Heavy Metal - Sammy Hagar

4. Shoot to Thrill - AC/DC

5. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Any rock song worth its salt usually has a good solo through it. Personally love a solo myself.

Top 5

1. Crazy - Aerosmith

2. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

3. Heavy Metal - Sammy Hagar

4. Shoot to Thrill - AC/DC

5. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

GSP's playlist?

• Like 2

Do you notice or even care about most guitar solos?

Its kind of an ongoing discussion that guitarists have been debating for several decades now. 

Some cite Van Halen as to how and why a good solo works and is important. Others say most solos are often forgotten as soon as they are over and just waste time.

As a guitarist, what is your opinion?

I tend to agree with the idea of a solo that enhances the song and is memorable, as opposed to just a fill.

Thing is, most guitarists are so caught up in the internals of their solos that they dont take the time to really step back, consider their work objectively and make it appealing to the audience; its usually just viewed as an opportunity to show off.

One of my fav examples of lead work that truly enhances a song is Vito Bratta on White Lions Radar Of Love remake. No mindless shredding, just very well thought-out melodic phrasing 

Hmm,common ground possibilities abound!

I love guitar solos that enhance a song,and don't appear to be a vehicle for the lead guitarist's ego. So i would put the riff in sweet child in the first category, the final riff in hotel California in the latter.

Chons/wolf/welcher,if the four of us agree will the forum implode??

Edited by Bubba_Sparks
  • Like 1

I actually think an outro solo can enhance the vibe of a song more than a mid-section solo. Consider Creeds first album, almost no solos and most of that album is epic awesomeness. 

ACDC solos, IMO, are nothing but filler. If they removed all the solos, except maybe for You Shook me, nobody would notice.

love a good guitar solo, like others have said if its done right it can enhance a song im one of those people who always as a song or part of song in my head, and when it is a song with a good guitar solo it's normally that part on a loop rather than any part with lyrics.

Guitar solos definitely enhance the song and it really depends on what group/guitarist.

To me most guitar solos that are about how Fast you can play are forgettable.

Guitar solos are lyrics as well to me.thinking how sweet child or stairway would be without the solos actually makes me cringe a bit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=nDn_VO2KCdP3ggTNv4OIAQ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpPKuhcftYe8&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGHLN-ZFlKlKNNisYhcMnkIKZk-kg

like this one more feeling than speed.

• Like 1

I find myself constantly vocalizing solos of my favorite songs.

I am a novice guitar player though. But i always appreciated solos before i started playing.

Same here.

I've been playing for almost four years now, but before I did play, I remember constantly listening to certain solos for days. For me, listening to the solos made me more interested in learning guitar, not just riffs.

I really enjoy the melodic solos. The type of solos you can hum and really fit well with the song. That's why I fell in love with the blues because you'll get a lot of those clean, smooth solos. I like what Eddie Van Halen said talking about Eric Clapton, "His solos were melodic and memorable – and that's what guitar solos should be, part of the song. I could hum them to you."

Right now, I've been listening to Jimi Hendrix solo in "The Wind Cries Mary." That is such a nice melodic solo. If you Youtube it, the solo starts at 1:20.

Jimmy Page is my favorite guitarist and has a variety of solos. I think the more Zeppelin you listen to the more you will appreciate solos. My top five solos are as follows:

1. Stairway to Heaven-Jimmy Page (this has always been my favorite)

2. Since I've Been Loving You-Jimmy Page (great blues song, even better solo)

3. Comfortably Numb-David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

4. Heartbreaker-Jimmy Page

5. The Wind Cries Mary-Jimi Hendrix

I was thinking about adding Free Bird as #5, but I'm just too invested in Jimi's solo right now lol. All Along The Watchtower is another great one.

I might even consider Since I've Been Loving You my favorite solo. Took me over a year to learn that solo and it is a great tune to jam to.

Point being, solos are awesome. They should not be disregarded even if someone isn't interested in learning guitar. I think you have to listen to the right songs and kinda figure out what solos most interest you. If you're not too much into the shredding solos (Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Satriani, Malmsteem) and want more melodic stuff (Hendrix, Page, Clapton, etc), then you'll have to venture out and find it. **Cough cough Led Zeppelin** **Cough cough, Jimmy Page**

• Like 1