Robert Downey Jr. surprises young disabled boy by giving bionic arm as Iron Man character

fobar

A disabled young boy who loves superheroes was given a shock when Iron Man actor Robert Downey Jr. gave him a bionic arm.

A heart-warming video of the encounter explains that Alex, 7 -who adores superheroes and riding his bike - was born with a partially developed arm.

It then shows an unwitting Alex being lead into a hotel room, where Downey Jr. is waiting in character as Iron Man engineer Tony Stark.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/robert-downey-jr-surprises-young-disabled-boy-by-giving-bionic-arm-as-iron-man-character-10104961.html

Props to Mr. Downey for the donation but I have to say i was not as touched as I had hoped.  I was expecting this bionic arm to cost a few hundred thousands.  But regardless, a deed is a deed. 

did you expect that **** to have rocket launchers and repulser beams???

Props to Mr. Downey for the donation but I have to say i was not as touched as I had hoped.  I was expecting this bionic arm to cost a few hundred thousands.  But regardless, a deed is a deed. 

you saying you are touched more by money than the gesture?

did you expect that **** to have rocket launchers and repulser beams???

I was being realistic.  Those things cost a lot of money.  The only reason the cost was so low was because the engineer was doing charity work.  If it was sold in the open market, they could run as high as millions. 

I was being realistic.  Those things cost a lot of money.  The only reason the cost was so low was because the engineer was doing charity work.  If it was sold in the open market, they could run as high as millions. 

I am not sure if this is the same set of engineers I am thinking of, but the price of these is cheap because of them.

Couple younger kids figured out how to make prosthetics for people for around 500$ using a 3d printer. Instead of making a fortune off their idea, they released the specs for everyone to use, thus eliminating the huge expense that they typically are.

So for this kid to get one, I do not care about the price, the people made this kid an arm he loves, RDJ helped by giving the kid a memory he will never forget, and the project donated an arm to someone deserving. So thumbs up all around.

Archived