I had this job about six years ago...

Megasoup

...tending bar in an Irish pub in what is probably the nicest, most expensive part of St. Louis. AFTER taxes and my half of health insurance for four, I consistently brought home a thousand a week in cash, sometimes more. I loved the job, too.

I just got off the phone with the manager who was the part-time bartender back then. I am rehired. I'm going to hang onto my day job for a while, too. I'm doing okay, so together I'll do really well. This is my year.

• Like 7

This was the job I had right before opening up my store.  This was the job I had when I tried out for the Ultimate Fighter in Chicago.  

This was the job I had when I, for a moment or two at a time, would look at apartments in the city on craigslist and dreamed about what it would be like to be single again, then guiltily erase my search history before my sleeping wife (who was destined to cheat on me and ask for a divorce when I wasn't in as strong a financial spot; weeks after closing my store) could see it, if that was a thing she ever did (who knows.)  

This was the job I had after I left the construction industry, which I hated.  It was the first time I had tended bar since I was in college.  I wasn't sure if at 29-and-going-on-30 I was supposed to be a bartender, but I needed a job.  I loved it and I felt guilty for loving it.  I made a lot more money than I did in construction, but it was still a kid's job, right?  

This was the job I had when I first started coming into contact with attractive, young women who weren't bank tellers, waitresses or cashiers who were waiting on me.  And the back and forth woke me up inside, but I kept on going home each and every night like a good husband.  

I've always wondered "what if?"  What if I stayed there; would my wife have cheated?  What if I stayed there and I left my wife?  What if I accepted that manager position that was offered to me?  Where would I be now?  

Every decision we make has a tendency of influencing us one way or another for the rest of our lives.  But sometimes we find ourselves at a crossroad, knowing that we face a big decision that will have a huge, huge impact.  And I always knew that in that period, I faced a daily decision.  I knew it at the time.  I was a good husband and didn't stray.  I was a foolish man and I eventually quit.  I was an ambitious man, yet still a fool, and I opened a store.  The rest is history.  And while I haven't found the "success" I was once obsessed with, my life has been rich, rich.  And also while it's been mostly miserable since, I like the person that I have become, even if a lot of you don't.

This was the job I had right before opening up my store.  This was the job I had when I tried out for the Ultimate Fighter in Chicago.  

This was the job I had when I, for a moment or two at a time, would look at apartments in the city on craigslist and dreamed about what it would be like to be single again, then guiltily erase my search history before my sleeping wife (who was destined to cheat on me and ask for a divorce when I wasn't in as strong a financial spot; weeks after closing my store) could see it, if that was a thing she ever did (who knows.)  

This was the job I had after I left the construction industry, which I hated.  It was the first time I had tended bar since I was in college.  I wasn't sure if at 29-and-going-on-30 I was supposed to be a bartender, but I needed a job.  I loved it and I felt guilty for loving it.  I made a lot more money than I did in construction, but it was still a kid's job, right?  

This was the job I had when I first started coming into contact with attractive, young women who weren't bank tellers, waitresses or cashiers who were waiting on me.  And the back and forth woke me up inside, but I kept on going home each and every night like a good husband.  

I've always wondered "what if?"  What if I stayed there; would my wife have cheated?  What if I stayed there and I left my wife?  What if I accepted that manager position that was offered to me?  Where would I be now?  

Every decision we make has a tendency of influencing us one way or another for the rest of our lives.  But sometimes we find ourselves at a crossroad, knowing that we face a big decision that will have a huge, huge impact.  And I always knew that in that period, I faced a daily decision.  I knew it at the time.  I was a good husband and didn't stray.  I was a foolish man and I eventually quit.  I was an ambitious man, yet still a fool, and I opened a store.  The rest is history.  And while I haven't found the "success" I was once obsessed with, my life has been rich, rich.  And also while it's been mostly miserable since, I like the person that I have become, even if a lot of you don't.

Quitters don't get sprinkles.

• Like 1