Arizona police use car to stop suspect

SavageTC

Cops claim an Arizona police officer acted of necessity when he slammed into an armed suspect with his car, sending the man flying into the air.

The incident was captured on several dash cams, thanks to a number of police vehicles that responded to the February 19 call for a man firing shots into the air with a shot gun.

According to CNN, that man—36-year-old Mario Valencia—had been involved in a string of crimes earlier that day.

At 6:45 a.m., Valencia robbed a 7-Eleven in Tucson with a metal object in his hand. Authorities said he was dressed only in his underwear.

He was charged with theft.

A little more than an hour later, police said, Valencia set a fire at a church for which he was charged with arson of an occupied structure.

Just after that he entered a home and stole a car, police said.

Authorities said he drove to a Walmart where he stole a .30-30 rifle and ammunition. He fled the store with Walmart employees in pursuit.

A Marana lieutenant tells CNN Valencia pointed the rifle at officers, refused several requests to drop the weapon, and threatened to kill himself before Officer Michael Rapiejko stepped on the gas and slammed into him from behind.

The impact sent Valencia flying into the air, landing him in the hospital in serious condition. He was released two days later and transferred to jail.

Detractors question why, for example, that many officers couldn't establish a perimeter or try to negotiate with with Valencia.

But Tucson police chief says he supports Rapiejko, characterizing the hit as the best option he had and suggesting that it might have saved Valencia's life.

"If we're going to choose between maybe we'll let him go a little bit farther and see what happens, or we're going to take him out now and eliminate any opportunity he has to hurt somebody, you're going to err on the side of, in favor of the innocent people," Police Chief Terry Rozema told CNN. "Without a doubt."

http://gawker.com/dash-cam-shows-arizona-cop-intentionally-run-over-an-ar-1697885381

• Like 6

tbh honest.  I liked that option better than letting that **** get into a shoot out, getting shot and then having UFCombGrabber ****ing about it on here though I'm not sure the suspect was black enough for his race baiting

• Like 10

My favorite part was when the cop crashed through the cinder block wall.

kinda what I was thinking

Dude probably hit the gas when he meant to hit the brakes

That's the only logical excuse I can see for wrecking out his cruiser and destroying property

• Like 4

That's the only logical excuse I can see for wrecking out his cruiser and destroying property

He was sick of this **** and he wanted a vacation. 

I just realized this happened in February. lol.. Who wants to bet this idiot's lawyer got the footage released or we would've never even seen it?

• Like 3

LOL yeah like all these other cops meaning to grab their tasers but grabbing their guns instead.

He was sick of that crown victoria and wanted one of the new chargers that some of his homies are cruising around in.  Even when a cop runs someone over they go out of the way to be moving as fast as possible.

This one was pretty funny though and since the guy wasn't black no one will give a ****.

• Like 4

I'm still trying to see what it is, other its a bag/block of drugs or paper...

definitely drugs.  They still got him for it afterwards but he gets mad props for his endeavour, lol

edit:  No i was wrong.  Turns out it was paper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncUsYo8vSNQ 

Edited by crangs
  • Like 3

LOL yeah like all these other cops meaning to grab their tasers but grabbing their guns instead.

He was sick of that crown victoria and wanted one of the new chargers that some of his homies are cruising around in.  Even when a cop runs someone over they go out of the way to be moving as fast as possible.

This one was pretty funny though and since the guy wasn't black no one will give a ****.

Yeah, because when you use your cruiser to hit a psycho with a rifle you just want to make sure to nudge him a little.

In this nuts "boys night out" he committed a couple robberies, arson, burglary, auto theft, pointed his rifle at officers and  threatened suicide. Short of this officers actions there is a high probability this story ends is with a citizen, officer or suspect being shot and killed.

The officer saw the opportunity to take action and took it.....great friggin job! Most likely saved lives including this lovely suspects.

Edited by Andy_Anderson

I'm sure if your family lived on that street you may have a different impression of what that cop did. 

At what point in this lunatics crime spree do you say to yourself this guy needs to be taken down?

Yeah, if my child was playing on the other side of that cinder block wall, I would've been thrilled.

Edited by Gabri_Approved_Since_Day_1_No_Questions_Asked
  • Like 3

I'm sure if your family lived on that street you may have a different impression of what that cop did. 

At what point in this lunatics crime spree do you say to yourself this guy needs to be taken down?

i don`t believe that criminals should be stopped by criminals (or at least criminal acts)  ;)

the way he accelerated was just tew much, like he was going for the kill. it would have been better to shoot his legs or tase him by acutally using the taser.  

if it would have been in my street there is a high possibility that he was not able to buy/steal a weapon in a supermarket lol

i don`t believe that criminals should be stopped by criminals (or at least criminal acts)  ;)

the way he accelerated was just tew much, like he was going for the kill. it would have been better to shoot his legs or tase him by acutally using the taser.  

if it would have been in my street there is a high possibility that he was not able to buy/steal a weapon in a supermarket lol

As we have said multiple times, we don't shoot at limbs here but I agree that was tew much.

• Like 3

Yeah, if my child was playing on the other side of that cinder block wall, I would've been thrilled.

I would not have been pleased either.

In the context of a rifle wielding lunatic being a few feet away from my child I'd understand it.

Once my heart rate settled I'd thank him from the bottom of my heart for his decisive action.

• Like 1

Burglars, shoplifters and your garden variety felons get the love tap from a police cruiser

Homicidal, suicidal, rifle wielding lunatics get the snow plow tap

I hope they have a parade for this guy!

As we have said multiple times, we don't shoot at limbs here but I agree that was tew much.

He hit him hard enough to make sure this lunatic did not get up blasting and yet he was still able to leave the hospital after two days.

This officer got it just right.....well done....

Edited by Andy_Anderson

This is never a viable option regardless of the situation.

• Like 3

I would not have been pleased either.

In the context of a rifle wielding lunatic being a few feet away from my child I'd understand it.

Once my heart rate settled I'd thank him from the bottom of my heart for his decisive action.

You know... as long as he didn't literally kill someone in my family from it.

• Like 1

Cop did the right thing, the other option was to shoot him. You bleeding hearts cry no matter what they do.

This guy was obviously a ****ing nutball. You wouldn't want to try and nonviolently disarm him either.

• Like 1

the mentally ill are treated like criminals instead of getting treatment , same with minor drug offenders, it's bull **** and the system that perpetuates it is corrupt. 

i don't have a problem with that view...

but i dont see how it pertains to the video. Action needed to be taken. Whether the guy was mentally ill or just being a thug doesn't matter in this scenario.

i don't have a problem with that view...

but i dont see how it pertains to the video. Action needed to be taken. Whether the guy was mentally ill or just being a thug doesn't matter in this scenario.

Hitting someone with a car is the same as shoot at them IMO, want to be this guy didn't have the treatment he needed before hand because no one cares about the poor or mentally ill.

Hitting someone with a car is the same as shoot at them IMO, want to be this guy didn't have the treatment he needed before hand because no one cares about the poor or mentally ill.

okay, again, the bold is a different issue...

If they let this guy go on, disaster could have struck. He was a threat. He had a gun, robbed a 711, robbed a walmart, stole a car, set fire to a church, and then was shooting the gun in the air....you can take preemptive measures or wait for something worse to happen. Im glad the cop stopped him then and there.

Edited by 2014's_Welcher_of_the_Year
  • Like 1

From this article you have no idea if he was being treated for mental illness before or if he ever displayed signs of mental illness before. You are just making a lot of assumptions about the man's history.

• Like 3