Phil Davis close to signing with Bellator MMA

xFINISHxHIMx

Davis, whose UFC contract expired after his January loss to Ryan Bader at UFC on FOX 14, has a 13-3 (1 NC) record. He started his career an impressive 9-0 before losing to Rashad Evans at UFC on FOX 2 in January 2012. "Mr. Wonderful" holds notable wins in the UFC over Alexander Gustafsson, Brian Stann, Tim Boetsch, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Lyoto Machida and Glover Teixeira. He is currently ranked no. 7 in the UFC's light-heavyweight rankings.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/4/15/8420649/phil-davis-close-to-signing-with-bellator-mma

Mr. wonderful did flop ever since his domestic violence outbreak... He caught that slapUHhoe tribe virus YO and never ever did he recover. At least he can go get a belt in another org as he should be able to say he was a champion at 1 point in life.

Davis is a quality fighter but this was the right move for him.

When it came right down to it Davis was just a really good wrestler with good submissions.

His striking game is still very much in the process of being developed. He makes awkward off balance leaping shots that look quite amateurish

He has really beaten everyone of current relevance in the UFC that I think he can just now. Bellator may be the best place for him to develop and definitely earn a championship.

He should have the beating of everyone currently in that division McGeary even though undefeated is British and its been proven we cant wrestle.

The likes of Bonnar, Ortiz and Beltran are past their best and would simply be out worked by Davis.

Best of luck Phil please come back with a solid striking game and I will enjoy watching you again.

• Like 1

Davis is a quality fighter but this was the right move for him.

When it came right down to it Davis was just a really good wrestler with good submissions.

His striking game is still very much in the process of being developed. He makes awkward off balance leaping shots that look quite amateurish

He has really beaten everyone of current relevance in the UFC that I think he can just now. Bellator may be the best place for him to develop and definitely earn a championship.

He should have the beating of everyone currently in that division McGeary even though undefeated is British and its been proven we cant wrestle.

The likes of Bonnar, Ortiz and Beltran are past their best and would simply be out worked by Davis.

Best of luck Phil please come back with a solid striking game and I will enjoy watching you again.

Phil just isn't a striker and he's never going to be.  He doesn't generate power because of poor technique.  I've never even seen him stagger someone on the feet.  He's an arm puncher and it doesn't appear that will change by going to a promotion where he can take everyone down except Mo Lawal.

Phil just isn't a striker and he's never going to be.  He doesn't generate power because of poor technique.  I've never even seen him stagger someone on the feet.  He's an arm puncher and it doesn't appear that will change by going to a promotion where he can take everyone down except Mo Lawal.

Yep just got to hope he maybe changes camp or finds something that works for him.

Realistically if you've signed to fight him all you have to train for defence wise is takedown and off your back I just think it gives him a huge disadvantage right from the off.

Why no one has tried to amp up his kicking game also I have no idea the guy has legs like tree trunks.

Phil just isn't a striker and he's never going to be.  He doesn't generate power because of poor technique. 

Agreed. But I don't think it's because of poor technique. I think he's just one of those guys who aren't capable of producing explosive speed with their hands.

You could give all the technique in the world to Jake Shields, but his punch will never be fast. He just doesn't have that fast-twich speed in him.

Whereas guys like Lombard, Fedor, Carwin - I bet they were killing the punching bag on their striking lesson day 1.

Edited by najma

Agreed. But I don't think it's because of poor technique. I think he's just one of those guys who aren't capable of producing explosive speed with their hands. I don't care how awesome technique Jake Shields can adopt, his punch will never be fast.

phil will finish fights in bellator, just by submission but he isnt so good that he will dominate the division. He will lose to someone eventually in bellator

phil will finish fights in bellator, just by submission but he isnt so good that he will dominate the division. He will lose to someone eventually in bellator

I actually think he could be champ in Bellator. I just don't see how you can be in the UFC for so long and still have such awkward stand up. He's like the Jake Shields of LHW.

• Like 1