UFC falling apart

BarbaricBob

Jones butchered an absolutely fantastic matchup - we won't get a similarly intriguing matchup any time soon. Unless Rumble decides to take on Velasquez.

Khabib getting hurt I don't care much for - I'm happy Cerrone won't get killed and his title fight against RDA isn't intriguing at all since they've fought already.

Gus getting hurt - this sucks.because we need legit contenders at LHW and the division to move on.

Joanna vs Penne - I can look forward to it. Nice.

Jones butchered an absolutely fantastic matchup - we won't get a similarly intriguing matchup any time soon.

unless Rumble is accused for domestic violence again and joins Jones as a cellmate to fight who may claim the top bunk  

it sucks that this fight is off.. i was really looking forward to it...

unless Rumble is accused for domestic violence again and joins Jones as a cellmate to fight who may claim the top bunk  

it sucks that this fight is off.. i was really looking forward to it...

With eye pokes fully legal it would be a very short night for Rumble.

Like Prozac said in another thread and I agree. There are just to many events. They are spread too thin, Cut back a bit. 30-35 events instead of 40. 

When they first introduced the idea of doing around 40 events a year, I didn't like it.  I was way more pump for events when it was like once a month.   And super pump when it was once every few months lol.  Now it's like "oh there's another event?"

- I'm happy Cerrone won't get killed and his title fight against RDA isn't intriguing at all since they've fought already.

Who else should get the shot? Michael Johnson? Pettis JUST lost to RDA. Khabib could be looking at a Dominick Cruz situation. Bendo's last 2 fights at LW are losses and he got finished by RDA. Milendez has had 2 title shots already and is 1-2 in the UFC. Cowboy is the top contender with Khabib out, IMO. Dude just needs to work his boxing a bit. That's where he usually get worked.

Twice a month would be 24 a year would be fine.

10 divisions in the UFC you should have at least 10 title fights a year.

If you manage to get a Brazillian champ you can make him fight 3-4 times a year, so at least one of the 2 monthly UFCs would be title fights.

Agreed. 24 would be plenty. One PPV and one free event a month. Either get rid of fight pass or give subscribers some sort of discount on PPV purchases. 24 events with more fights per event rather than spread them so thin. Actually make the 5 fights on the main card good fights instead of a good main event (sometimes we don't even get that) and 4 irrelevant matchups. That way if your main event falls out, you've still got 4 solid fights that people give a **** about and one bumped from prelims. I don't see why they can't do 2 title fights per PPV either.

This is still a step up from last year.

2011 was way worse for fighters pulling out too.

The p4p best fighter in the world being stripped of his title and suspended indefinitely, the iminity of crowning a paper champion, Dish no longer carrying UFC PPV, literally half an arena being closed due to poor attendance, the # of failed drug tests already, etc and we're only 4 months into the year.

The p4p best fighter in the world being stripped of his title and suspended indefinitely, the iminity of crowning a paper champion, Dish no longer carrying UFC PPV, literally half an arena being closed due to poor attendance, the # of failed drug tests already, etc and we're only 4 months into the year.

yep. last year was still worse.

Well that isn't a fair statement to make until the year is over. That was my point.

fair enough. but that also leaves room for it to improve so by that same notion its unfair to assume the worst.

My contention is last year they purposely spread their cards thin where you had 1 or 2 top ranked fights on a card with the rest of the card being sub par.

This year they've seem to have tried to improve that model and i think theyve done a tremendous job despite the injuries.

For instance, if the stuff that happened this year happened last year they would be royally ****ed. DC vs Rumble is an awesome replacement. We also have Vitor vs Weidman on it. Card still great. As far as the Gus pullout, it was on a FN card. Can't expect too much from them tbh (rockhold vs machida card was a huge exception. Its also 2 months out so they could find a decent replacement fight in time 

The UFC needs to stop announcing so early. Announce the venue early, just not the card. Announce the card 5 weeks out, start ticket sales 4 weeks out. Cutting back the number of events is a good call too. Let the big fights shine and weed out some the cards that look more like undercards than ppv's.

Like Prozac said in another thread and I agree. There are just to many events. They are spread too thin, Cut back a bit. 30-35 events instead of 40. 

They have 500+ fighters. They gotta do something. 

TBH i'd rather 50 shows with three falling apart than 3 big shows and one falling apart. 

The big shows never seem to deliver anyway. It's always some lackluster looking Fight Night card with hungry fighters that makes those stacked PPV's with position protecting fighters look like they're just a waste. 

I hate to say it but yes I agree.

I still dont get Cerrone vs Maskedsadssdaa whatever the name of the can is simply CRAZY AND INSULTING!

If we gotta go to the "nonsense department" ok so give Cerrone Barboza rematch, Nate rematch, etc. So UFC wants us to believe this was the ONLY replacement they could find ? Give me a f******* break!

Man, not gonna lie I still think Weidman or Vitor will pull out and this card will end up being "average".

I feel the same way.

Me, too. At first I was "well, you know I just won't go to those other events. Problem solved and it won't affect me."

But now, with all these other events all the time, you're affected anyway - like it or not - by UFC moving all these fighters around when somebody gets hurt or arrested.

You guys seem to be forgetting.

The next card is headlined by Hunt and Miocic.

The only thing that can save the LHW division is when somebody is dumb enough to face Suga.

Also by comparison. UFC is in pretty good shape considering Boxing.

Injuries won't WACK the ufc, point fighting and lay n prayers will... A injured dude who comes to bang is respectable, a point fighting can is a annoyance especially if that can has lay N pray as his 2 dimensional back up....

You guys seem to be forgetting.

The next card is headlined by Hunt and Miocic.

The only thing that can save the LHW division is when somebody is dumb enough to face Suga.

Also by comparison. UFC is in pretty good shape considering Boxing.

I was reading n article on yahoo about it. 

It was saying that after Mayweather/Pac more and more people realized how fun MMA really is (UFC for being the icone of nowadays MMA would have the new fans attention per say).

I honestly think May/Pac last saturday was THE LAST fight that boxing will be able to promote on that proportion (no even a rematch wont reach that proportion anymore).

I go further, Aldo vs Conor will actually get a lot of new fans who will watch that card (because of UFC promotion on Aldo and Conor) and they will be like "Oh, this is actually way more exciting than boxing".

I go further, Aldo vs Conor will actually get a lot of new fans who will watch that card (because of UFC promotion on Aldo and Conor) and they will be like "Oh, this is actually way more exciting than boxing".

they will do provided the fight is actually made on the 11th.. its there big break out opportunity..

im sick of hearing by americans how nobody cares about this fight and the ufc lives on aside from it reh reh reh but the harsh reality is this.. mma and the ufc is still nowhere near the size it could be worldwide because it hasnt had many fights like this to take place.. 

it really does need this fight after that mayweather/pacman episode and its a great chance to get in there and broaden there horrisons because simply being big in the usa aint big enough when theres a whole worldwide audience out there imo..

that fight doesnt go down on the 11th though and its there big opportunity mised as like i said in a dif post.. the ufc at present look like they couldnt orgainse a piss up in a brewery for anybody looking in on the outside who aint a follower of mma or the oranisation.. let downs constant on cards and always in the news for the wrong reasons..

after the promotion tour, getting in at the possible death of boxing (floyd/many) everything is in place perfect to break and the 189 fight coming off on the 11th i have no doubt it will have attracted more worldwide fans to the sport.. it failes to come off and the ufc will again look like laughing stock and it will be more bad press and opportunity missed big time.. it doesnt pull aldo mcgregor off on the 11th july and only place there likely to be big is in the usa hahaha because no normal fan wants to follow a sport where 90% of the fights dont actually happen legit or not..

it also needs foreign fighters to stop setting up permanent base in the usa when they get into the ufc.. this is a massive tie setherer and why the ufc hasnt broke out big in certain countries because the fighters are then in another country pretendin to be 1 of them instead of there own and they get forgot about as there own press aint there to push them locally..

I was reading n article on yahoo about it. 

It was saying that after Mayweather/Pac more and more people realized how fun MMA really is (UFC for being the icone of nowadays MMA would have the new fans attention per say).

I honestly think May/Pac last saturday was THE LAST fight that boxing will be able to promote on that proportion (no even a rematch wont reach that proportion anymore).

I think it is extremely narrow minded to say either sport is falling apart. Also, saying Mayweather vs Pacquiao was all that boxing had left just completely ignores history. To put that in MMA terms, nobody even heard of McGregor 2 years ago, and now he's being set up as the next "big thing" in MMA. There will always be new talent emerging in both sports. 

Try 20 cards, and drop all the cans. They can all go fight in Bellator which the UFC can then use as a minor league of sorts. UFC gets top quality cards and maintains their credibility, Bellator gets better fighters and more potential cards, and we get the same amount of fights for those who want that many. Win win win I'd say.

When they first introduced the idea of doing around 40 events a year, I didn't like it.  I was way more pump for events when it was like once a month.   And super pump when it was once every few months lol.  Now it's like "oh there's another event?"

Exactly, it's like they took 3/4 of the meat off a big Mac and filled it up with lettuce then tried to convince everyone it was just as good. (for those who like big Macs that is)

MMA has not grown in 5 years. It can;t grow much because it is a blood sport and blood sports are niche by definition.

Boxing is niche? I know it's gone down hill a lot in the past 20 years or so but it's hardly niche, and in the glory days it was FAR from niche.

I think it is extremely narrow minded to say either sport is falling apart. Also, saying Mayweather vs Pacquiao was all that boxing had left just completely ignores history. To put that in MMA terms, nobody even heard of McGregor 2 years ago, and now he's being set up as the next "big thing" in MMA. There will always be new talent emerging in both sports. 

Yeah but as you know, probably more than most, the talent isn't the issue. It's the organizations. Boxing cannibalized itself basically with way too many organizations and promotions and corruption. That's why it's falling off, at least more so than any lack of talent.

Yeah but as you know, probably more than most, the talent isn't the issue. It's the organizations. Boxing cannibalized itself basically with way too many organizations and promotions and corruption. That's why it's falling off, at least more so than any lack of talent.

I disagree. The UFC set back MMA by destroying the competition.

I hate to say it but yes I agree.

I still dont get Cerrone vs Maskedsadssdaa whatever the name of the can is simply CRAZY AND INSULTING!

If we gotta go to the "nonsense department" ok so give Cerrone Barboza rematch, Nate rematch, etc. So UFC wants us to believe this was the ONLY replacement they could find ? Give me a f******* break!

Man, not gonna lie I still think Weidman or Vitor will pull out and this card will end up being "average".

Barboza and Nate Diaz are rather large lightweights and wouldn't have the time to properly make weight.  Nate is also planning to go back up to welterweight so if he beat Cerrone again and this time at some catchweight it would mess up having a clear #1 contender.  Barboza doesn't deserve a rematch with Cerrone and just got beat bell to bell by Johnson.  If he managed an upset again you lose the #1 lightweight contender.  Masvidal wanted the fight but again it's another enormous lightweight and he didn't want the fight at 155.  He was trying to get the fight at a catchweight and he's also moving up to 170.

On short notice there's not a lot of guys that are wanting to step up and fight Cerrone.  The only thing that would make sense is if they cancelled Johnson's fight with Bendo and made an official #1 contender fight with Cerrone.

With Khabib hurt they are trying to guarantee Cerrone a title shot rematch against Dos Anjos.  He's a fairly marketable fan favorite that they have tried to put into a title fight twice over the last 3 and a half years but he always ends up losing.  First time Diaz torched him (Cerrone favored 3 to 1) and the second time Pettis just ran him over.

Archived