Super Heavyweights

pdirish

UFC Adelaide just got finished, Stipe Miocic taking out Mark Hunt. Mark Hunt looked sluggish from the outset and a bad cut was mentioned during the pre-fight analysis. Now, I get that Hunt is 41, could have done a better job cutting, etc., but what about reinstating the Super Heavyweight division? Recently started following MMA (after having watched UFC 1 - 12 as a teen), so I am not sure how many quality fighters there are at that weight. Would like to hear people's thoughts.

I think Hunt has been a little heavier in his last few fights, surely he could not eat so much KFC and save himself the trouble of cutting so much. I think his main problem was he definitely doesn't train jiu jitsu because he gassed after 1 exchange on the ground

Being super, a samoan and Australian can only get you so far

Edited by Yesterdays_Hero
  • Like 1

ButterGOAT would crush that Somoan Mongrol in a Super HW fight.

Add in Ronnie Coleman Vs ButterGOAT for the "Ain't nothing but a Peanut Super Heavyweight" title and its draw of the century.

How am I not a UFC employee?

Because you take roids

• Like 2

ButterGOAT would crush that Somoan Mongrol in a Super HW fight.

Add in Ronnie Coleman Vs ButterGOAT for the "Ain't nothing but a Peanut Super Heavyweight" title and its draw of the century.

How am I not a UFC employee?

The Pudzilla Red Balloon is the current linear SHW champion. He lost to Tim Sylvia in a dramatic FOTY battle, who later retired as the SHW GOAT, but then went on to destroy Butterbean and Bob Sapp.

mariusz_pudzianowski_vs._tim_sylvia_6.JP

20120517121808_Mariusz_Pudzianowski_VS_B

fh5117_pudzianowski_470_ksw14_esch_2010.

The 3 SHW GOATs in one epic legendary picture:

moosin_butterbean_silvia_pudzianowski.jp

• Like 1

The Pudzilla Red Balloon is the current linear SHW champion. He lost to Tim Sylvia in a dramatic FOTY battle, who later retired as the SHW GOAT, but then went on to destroy Butterbean and Bob Sapp.

mariusz_pudzianowski_vs._tim_sylvia_6.JP

20120517121808_Mariusz_Pudzianowski_VS_B

fh5117_pudzianowski_470_ksw14_esch_2010.

The 3 SHW GOATs in one epic legendary picture:

moosin_butterbean_silvia_pudzianowski.jp

Super Mario would be the SHW GOAT. He's already the WSM GOAT.

• Like 1

Yeah agree with what most everyone's said. The talent pool is just to small I cant even think of a top 5 let alone top 10.

Also with the lightest weights at least we know will always go for it so plenty of action and usually a good paced fight.

Super Heavyweight would mostly be full of guys swinging for a home run in round 1 and if they don't make it will be doing the rest of the fight exhausted.

The whole point of weight divisions is too bar larger guys from fighting smaller guys that they would crush with the size/strength advantage.

But when you go beyond 265lbs humans become cumbersome and less agile which makes for a larger disadvantage then the benefits from being stronger. A Cain Velasquez would always demolish any SHW, so would all other top HWs.

This phenomenon is apparent already in the HW, where both UFC HW champions are way below the 265lbs limit at 232lbs (Werdum) and 240lbs (Velasquez).

So basically it would be a redundant division, as the SHW title would always be held by a HW fighter.

• Like 1

It would benefit the UFC and MMA in general to create an unlimited or open division. 

It would give people running way from Jones and Cain another place to hide.

Jones would rather go to jail than fight Rumble, thats clear for everyone to see

• Like 3

how about a Super Heavyweight Woman Division ?

fatwoman.jpg

So you're saying all women who are not heroin sheek are fat slobs?  Re watch cheech and chong in amsterdam and listen to cheech describe having a girlfriend who pedals a bike all day...

• Like 1

They could just pull the cap off the heavyweight division. If the mid-sized heavyweights currently dominate and the superheavyweight division is so shallow, there's no downside to lifting the weight limit since most guys would still weigh less than 265 anyway.  Boxing's heavyweight division has no limit and neither does wrestling's.

• Like 2

They could just pull the cap off the heavyweight division. If the mid-sized heavyweights currently dominate and the superheavyweight division is so shallow, there's no downside to lifting the weight limit since most guys would still weigh less than 265 anyway.  Boxing's heavyweight division has no limit and neither does wrestling's.

Absolutely right!