Sign in to follow this  
Nyte

**The Official Guitar Thread**

On 6/18/2020 at 6:18 AM, Bezerker101 said:

Nice interview. Steve Vai , imo, could probably throw EVH for five.

I like that he said he's one of his favorite guitarists tho. I can understand that,  I think guys like them are so far above and beyond other players , that really that stuff doesn't bother them and actually appreciate other guitarists more.

Steve Vai and EVH , both guys that were influenced by the man Jimmy Page!! Well at least I know Steve was. And EVH's eruption tapping section was inspired by Heartbreaker -- also the song Steve Vai attributes to him wanting to pick up a guitar 

Heartbreaker solo singlehandedly producing two of the finest guitarists to date!!

years ago when I first started playing,(sheesh time goes by fast already playing 9 years now!) , I was always debating with people about who's the best guitarists and ranking them

As I've progressed, ive stopped caring about that and really started to just appreciate what different guitarist bring to the table.

I think,  nowadays, I'm more inclined to debate on the most "influential " guitarists rather than debate most skilled 

Jimmy Page , Jimi Hendrix , Eric Clapton , Robert Johnson,  BB King , Chuck Berry , Muddy Waters , Tony Iommi  -- those are the first names that come to mind when i think of most influential guitarists 

EVH , Steve Vai , Malmsteen , Blackmore , Petrucci,  Kirk Hammet , Slash,  Zack Wylde , Frusciante , Randy Rhoads are the first names that come to mind as guitarists who were mainly influenced/ produced from guitarists above..if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nyte said:

years ago when I first started playing,(sheesh time goes by fast already playing 9 years now!) , I was always debating with people about who's the best guitarists and ranking them

As I've progressed, ive stopped caring about that and really started to just appreciate what different guitarist bring to the table.

I think,  nowadays, I'm more inclined to debate on the most "influential " guitarists rather than debate most skilled 

Jimmy Page , Jimi Hendrix , Eric Clapton , Robert Johnson,  BB King , Chuck Berry , Muddy Waters , Tony Iommi  -- those are the first names that come to mind when i think of most influential guitarists 

EVH , Steve Vai , Malmsteen , Blackmore , Petrucci,  Kirk Hammet , Slash,  Zack Wylde , Frusciante , Randy Rhoads are the first names that come to mind as guitarists who were mainly influenced/ produced from guitarists above..if that makes sense. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck, Duayne Almann not on your list ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bwana said:

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jeff Beck, Duayne Almann not on your list ?

Those were just the names that first came to mind, as I was trying to go based on who I instinctively thought of

If I were to sit down and compile a full list,  Yes I would definitely add those three 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bwana, what would your list be? 

Top 5 Greatest Guitarists 

Top 5 Most Influential 

Your lists can have the same people , so have at it!

If you can't limit to 5 , do top 10

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nyte said:

Bwana, what would your list be? 

Top 5 Greatest Guitarists 

Top 5 Most Influential 

Your lists can have the same people , so have at it!

If you can't limit to 5 , do top 10

I'll have to give that some serious thought, and get back to you...the list of great guitarists are so vast it's mind boggling.

So many of them had their abilities limited to the song writers style or lyrical path, and even the commercial ability of the record producer for marketing strategy. Most/many musicians never had the freedom to spread their wings, or the ego battle between singer/guitarist dictated the final product the public got to hear(Led Zepplin for instance).

Looking at a band like the Yardbirds with so much talent, or Hendrix/Malcolm Young who's niche' was more cult driven than commercial at times.

It's really a difficult and complicated conversation to ever come to a consensus, because of the multitude of talent that has played the history of music in our /past generations....I'll get extra high tonight during the fights and come up with some real opinions later.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bwana said:

I'll have to give that some serious thought, and get back to you...the list of great guitarists are so vast it's mind boggling.

So many of them had their abilities limited to the song writers style or lyrical path, and even the commercial ability of the record producer for marketing strategy. Most/many musicians never had the freedom to spread their wings, or the ego battle between singer/guitarist dictated the final product the public got to hear(Led Zepplin for instance).

Looking at a band like the Yardbirds with so much talent, or Hendrix/Malcolm Young who's niche' was more cult driven than commercial at times.

It's really a difficult and complicated conversation to ever come to a consensus, because of the multitude of talent that has played the history of music in our /past generations....I'll get extra high tonight during the fights and come up with some real opinions later.

Sounds like a got damn plan 

But this is your subjective list,  just for fun. Not like we're submitting your selections for Guitar World and Rolling Stones magazines m8 :)

so have fun m8, enjoy that reefer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nyte said:

Sounds like a got damn plan 

But this is your subjective list,  just for fun. Not like we're submitting your selections for Guitar World and Rolling Stones magazines m8 :)

so have fun m8, enjoy that reefer

Fugg Rolling Stones yearly awards, they were usually off base and record sales dictated their biased ratings....JMHO

On 6/22/2020 at 6:05 PM, Bezerker101 said:

Ima simple man. I see Zakk Wylde. I click 

• Like 1