Jolldan

Connor Hasn't Proved He Can Handle Wrestlers

Firstly let my start of by saying I am team McGregor. This isn't a sour grapes thread just an observation.

I finally got to see the fight and have to admit Connor didn't really prove anything on the ground Mendes kept him there with ease and Connor looked like he had little to offer in his guard.

Im quite sure he escaped both times when Mendes tried to advance his position. Which only shows Mendes is a good wrestler but a sloppy grappler.

He left big gaps when moving to side control but at one point managed to even fix Connor in to a crucifix position with little effort. 

I mean think if he had kept Connor there till the end of the second that would have definitely been two rounds to Mendes.

Is anyone still a little sceptical of Connor's ground game? I'm glad he got the win and finally can set up an even bigger fight with Aldo but for me the questions are still there on his grappling.

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 6

Before the fight Mendes is the best

After the fight he's sloppy

Smh

I tell you what Conor proved, he proved that he should be holding that belt

• Like 13

Smh

He's an outstanding wrestler but I stick by a poor grappler losing position each time he advanced.

I am glad he won and Aldo being next means no more wrestlers for a while.

I hope he has to fight Frankie though. Love both guys and cant see either finishing the other.

Firstly let my start of by saying I am team McGregor. This isn't a sour grapes thread just an observation.

I finally got to see the fight and have to admit Connor didn't really prove anything on the ground Mendes kept him there with ease and Connor looked like he had little to offer in his guard.

Im quite sure he escaped both times when Mendes tried to advance his position. Which only shows Mendes is a good wrestler but a sloppy grappler.

He left big gaps when moving to side control but at one point managed to even fix Connor in to a crucifix position with little effort. 

I mean think if he had kept Connor there till the end of the second that would have definitely been two rounds to Mendes.

Is anyone still a little sceptical of Connor's ground game? I'm glad he got the win and finally can set up an even bigger fight with Aldo but for me the questions are still there on his grappling.

Going to try and get my point in quickly before the more rabid Conor fans label you as rustled and the more rabid anti-Conor fans start pointing to the Faber backstage dust up as more evidence.....

Firstly, Conor showed he has a bit of TDD, but not enough.  Aldo stuffed 7 out of 8 of Chad's TDs, Conor only stopped 3 out of 7.  Secondly, although he got up quickly from a couple, he still spent a lot of time on the floor being pounded.

Thirdly, he didn't once threaten Chad with anything from the bottom; no triangles, armbars or sweeps.  For a guy who trains with Gunnar and has crazy flexibility, i expected a bit more.

(Fourthly it's Conor, not Connor, so you can save yourself a bit of time typing  :lol: )

So yes, I am very sceptical, and it's definitely a weakness.

Question is, what would that mean in either a re-match, or a fight with Edgar?  Personally I think Chad has better TDs than Edgar.  So maybe Conor would stay on his feet a bit more. On the other hand, I think Edgar does a little more once he gets the TD than Chad.  So one TD per round would be a real issue.

Balancing that out though is that surely his coaches will now work on his TDD a bit more.  I would also expect him to have a pure strength advantage over Frankie, which he didn't over Chad.  There was certainly plenty there though to get the Edgar fans and Conor haters excited.  Can't wait for that fight....if it happens

• Like 1

Going to try and get my point in quickly before the more rabid Conor fans label you as rustled and the more rabid anti-Conor fans start pointing to the Faber backstage dust up as more evidence.....

Firstly, Conor showed he has a bit of TDD, but not enough.  Aldo stuffed 7 out of 8 of Chad's TDs, Conor only stopped 3 out of 7.  Secondly, although he got up quickly from a couple, he still spent a lot of time on the floor being pounded.

Thirdly, he didn't once threaten Chad with anything from the bottom; no triangles, armbars or sweeps.  For a guy who trains with Gunnar and has crazy flexibility, i expected a bit more.

(Fourthly it's Conor, not Connor, so you can save yourself a bit of time typing  :lol: )

Question is, what would that mean in either a re-match, or a fight with Edgar?  Personally I think Chad has better TDs than Edgar.  So maybe Conor would stay on his feet a bit more. On the other hand, I think Edgar does a little more once he gets the TD than Chad.  So one TD per round would be a real issue.

Balancing that out though is that surely his coaches will now work on his TDD a bit more.  I would also expect him to have a pure strength advantage over Frankie, which he didn't over Chad.  There was certainly plenty there though to get the Edgar fans and Conor haters excited.  Can't wait for that fight....if it happens

Came here to mention the bold. lol

• Like 3

If he could get a solid ground game and fix his somewhat sloppy standup he would be unstoppable in my opinion. He ate some shots from Chad that would have rocked other opponents.

I gained a lot of respect for him after this fight, not just for his heart but because he showed some class and proved he only acts like a baboon to sell the fight.

• Like 1

If he could get a solid ground game and fix his somewhat sloppy standup he would be unstoppable in my opinion. He ate some shots from Chad that would have rocked other opponents.

I gained a lot of respect for him after this fight, not just for his heart but because he showed some class and proved he only acts like a baboon to sell the fight.

Have you seen the size of that man's dome piece? He is always going to eat some shots at the level he is fighting at now.

• Like 1

Exactly you can't mention weaknesses in someone's name without being accused of being rustled lol.

I agree also that in terms of pure strength Mendes exceeds Edgar in most areas. But although I would say Mendes is the better wrestler I would give more of an advantage to Frankie.

Obviously he has a mean right hand but Chad cant strike for sh*t I don't care what anyone says. Edgar can strike very well he can set stuff up rather than doing a Mendes swing, swing, takedown.

Yeah if he and Aldo can happen soon they should just do it but otherwise give us that fight two fan favourites.

• Like 1

Exactly you can't mention weaknesses in someone's name without being accused of being rustled lol.

I agree also that in terms of pure strength Mendes exceeds Edgar in most areas. But although I would say Mendes is the better wrestler I would give more of an advantage to Frankie.

Obviously he has a mean right hand but Chad cant strike for sh*t I don't care what anyone says. Edgar can strike very well he can set stuff up rather than doing a Mendes swing, swing, takedown.

Yeah if he and Aldo can happen soon they should just do it but otherwise give us that fight two fan favourites.

Actually, you've just given me inspiration for what should happen next at FW

1. Frankie v Conor in the autumn (Conor defending his interim belt while Aldo waits to get cleared by a gynacologist)

2. Winner of Oliveira/Holloway faces Mendes in an official no.1 contender match

3. Conor/Frankie fight Aldo to unify the belts

4. Conor/Frankie/Aldo fight the winner of Olivera/Holloway v Mendes

That way we likely have Frankie v Conor, Holloway v Mendes, Conor v Aldo and Conor v Mendes II to look forward to.  FW very interesting right now.

• Like 1

Conor proved to me he is a leprechaun with lots of luck. 

Weren't you on the Mendes train mate? Why aren't you wearing the Conor AV as per the train v train bet?

• Like 4

Weren't you on the Mendes train mate? Why aren't you wearing the Conor AV as per the train v train bet?

LOL, I forgot about that bet. 

• Like 1

Question is, what would that mean in either a re-match, or a fight with Edgar?

I'd actually be really interested in a rematch where Mendes has had a full camp to prepare. If he's had a full camp, and doesn't gas out as quickly, it could be a very different fight. May still end up with the same winner, but I think the actual fight looks a lot different.

It was the punishment to the body from Conors kicks that drained Chads stamina, I thought Chad would try to catch them or something but he just took them to the body lol

Of course he's proven he can handle wrestlers.  You can't outwrestle Chad with Conor's skill set, so he just waited until Chad moved and got up.  Why struggle against the guy if he's not even trying to pass guard?  He hit him with some elbows, but Conor can take them, and it wasn't much anyways (10 strikes in 3 minutes?)  

When Chad went for the submission, Conor got up.  Most other wrestlers will have less skill smothering Conor, and will be more active giving Conor more opportunities to get up.  

Once on his feet the clock's ticking, can you take him down again before he knocks you out?  Chad did three times, then couldn't the fourth time before he knocked him out.  

Are you ****ing kidding me? He landed 300 kicks in front of the arguably best wrestler in the division, a fight which he took on two weeks notice.

He proved he can handle wrestlers. It doesn't mean he proved he'll beat all wrestlers, but he surely can handle them.

• Like 6

Here's a few stats to help this discussion...

Chad is a TD machine compared to Edgar. He lands 46% of his TD's (versus 42% for Edgar).  Against people not called Aldo (who has farcically good TDD), it's 62% v 50%.

So Mendes taking down Conor does not necessarily mean Edgar takes down Conor.

However, once the fight hits the ground, it's a different story.  In fights where he has landed a TD, Chad has tried to pass guard on average 1.1 times (versus 4.2 for Edgar), landed 9.6 shots per fight on average (versus 29 for Edgar) and attempted 0.57 subs per fight on average (versus 0.6 for Edgar)

So if Frankie does get Conor down, he is much more active and dangerous than Chad.  Btw, all these stats are based on UFC FW fights.

• Like 2

Here's a few stats to help this discussion...

Chad is a TD machine compared to Edgar. He lands 46% of his TD's (versus 42% for Edgar).  Against people not called Aldo (who has farcically good TDD), it's 62% v 50%.

So Mendes taking down Conor does not necessarily mean Edgar takes down Conor.

However, once the fight hits the ground, it's a different story.  In fights where he has landed a TD, Chad has tried to pass guard on average 1.1 times (versus 4.2 for Edgar), landed 9.6 shots per fight on average (versus 29 for Edgar) and attempted 0.57 subs per fight on average (versus 0.6 for Edgar)

So if Frankie does get Conor down, he is much more active and dangerous than Chad.  Btw, all these stats are based on UFC FW fights.

If Frankie moves on Conor, Conor will get up.  Watch the fight.  When Chad tried to advance position on Conor, he got up.  He laid in guard for 3 minutes because Chad wasn't advancing.  

If Frankie gets him down, he'll advance position or go for a submission almost immediately, which Conor will use as an opportunity to get up.  Then Frankie gets to play the same game again, can I take the 10 punches/kicks he hits me with before I try to take him down again?  

I'm not saying Frankie has no chance... I'm just saying he's an easier fight for Conor than the beast he just beat last weekend.

He proved his ground game needs work and he can be controlled.

He also proved that despite that, if you don't keep him there he will ktfo you given the chance.

Aldo will not wrestle him anyway.

Edited by GoToGuy

There's definitely room for improvement, but he proved he can hang. Rolling out of that guillotine was impressive.

With his flexibility and dedication, I feel like he can master the rubber guard. Still, with only two weeks to prepare for a wrestler on the level of Mendes, he overcame gargantuan odds. 9/10 elite strikers facing grapplers get absolutely smoked and it usually takes years for them to get good enough just to survive. I'm optimistic. We've yet to see the best representation of what he's capable of on the ground and he'll only be getting better.

• Like 2

Conor > Connor

But yeah, the dude would lose most of his wrestling matches. But all fights start on the feet and he has shown a great ability to take advantage of little openings to scramble back to his feet.

Mendes is the top wrestler in the division. Frankie is #2 imo.

I don't see any one besides these two that would be able to hold Conor down for very long.

Conor needs to focus really hard on his chain-wrestling defense if Edgar is up next.

• Like 1

LOL, I forgot about that bet. 

Proving why your the biggest can on these forums, life, the after life and anywhere else you disgrace with your presences.

^ Serious Heavy Duty FLATULENCE in that post. 

Mendes is a highly skilled Wrestler, he would have taken down nearly anyone in the division on Sat. night.  He is stocky well built for that weight class = him on top is hard for anyone to get off them!   No matter how good your striking or takedown defence is = incredibly hard not to get taken down by a top notch wrestler, just look at Chael Sonnen - not many (if any!) have been able to stop his takedowns for an entire fight. 

• Like 2

He has proven he can handle tiny featherweight wrestlers. Next he'll prove he can handle tiny featherweight strikers. Yay. Literally the only good fights for McGregor at FW are Aldo and Edger, two old, small men. Meanwhile, there's a whole division of killers lurking just above FW. But that's none of my business.........

He has proven he can handle tiny featherweight wrestlers. Next he'll prove he can handle tiny featherweight strikers. Yay. Literally the only good fights for McGregor at FW are Aldo and Edger, two old, small men. Meanwhile, there's a whole division of killers lurking just above FW. But that's none of my business.........

shut up m8

Balancing that out though is that surely his coaches will now work on his TDD a bit more.  I would also expect him to have a pure strength advantage over Frankie, which he didn't over Chad.  There was certainly plenty there though to get the Edgar fans and Conor haters excited.  Can't wait for that fight....if it happen,

Here's the thing, Conor did say Chad will gas from the Grappling exchanges and he will finish him in 2, maybe he did that on purpose and had it planned? You saw he got up easily when he wanted to, it looked like he was only trying to wrap Mendes and let his muscles gas.

• Like 1

Conor didn't try to get up or anything he laid there calm, and let Chad gas him self out. Even when he was getting elbowed they looked hard as **** but Conor never really reacted to them. Yes he got cut but you can't help that.

Conor was talking to him every second of that fight. Conor showed he has a chin. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing, Conor did say Chad will gas from the Grappling exchanges and he will finish him in 2, maybe he did that on purpose and had it planned? You saw he got up easily when he wanted to, it looked like he was only trying to wrap Mendes and let his muscles gas.

He completely explained it in the post fight conference but all the haters were too busy kicking their pets to watch it.  He said in a fight "with no time clock" with two wrestlers, the wrestler who exudes the least energy will ultimately succeed.  

So it was some kind of crazy **** mental strategy he had. He had a grin on his face the whole time he was laying there and was talking **** to him, I think he meant to do it.  

• Like 2

Smh

Fake Aldo fan confirmed 

Conor CLEARLY wasn't going to out-wrestle Mendes

Luckily this isn't a wrestling match; it's a fight 

Move on everyone 

Edited by PATSTER
  • Like 3

edgar is the best wrestler in the division.

Mendes gassed way to fast. (If you brag about being ready for the fight, don't cry about the shirt camp after the fight)

Mcgregor proved he has no ttd but does have a monster chin.

Aldo looked great on paper going into this fight but now looks like he has competition.

Yes i am glad he won,i feel his persona is good for the sport however yes his ground game was and still is suspect.

I guess it all depends on weather other fighters will use that to their advantage,many fighters tend to just run around like little midgets.

IMO they SHOULD be wrestling Conor,why on earth would you strike with a taller longer reach opponent with power.What i also noticed is Conor looked tired to me ,he kept that game face act on but it didn't fool me ,he was tired.Now it likely was all the build up and tiresome routine the ufc pout him through,but that won't change being at the top.

With Conor's reach he really should be able to stay far enough away to make TD's tougher but he definitely needs to work on the grappling.Thing is the UK is known more for boxing than grappling so not sure he is going to improve with that over there.

• Like 1

What i also noticed is Conor looked tired to me ,he kept that game face act on but it didn't fool me ,he was tired.Now it likely was all the build up and tiresome routine the ufc pout him through,but that won't change being at the top.

It's mental, though, man, and Conor's got it mentally.  Of course he was tired, he was tired of all that **** and he was probably tired of wrestling Chad, but he's got 10 minutes he has to man the **** up and fight through it.  that's mental, and he did it.  

Conor's mind game is too stronk.

When he told Joe "I promise you, Joe, I can go ALL  NIGHT   LONG" he was serious.  Mentally he would have been able to fight both of those bastards that night if he had to.  

I think Frankie has better timings and better set-ups, but pure wrestling is miles on Mendes' side. Why is no one talking about Frankie vs Chad match though? Also, I think if Aldo lands few leg kicks, it will really suck for Conor...So it'll be interesting.

This whole thing is moot anyways... Frankie and Aldo are old, in 6 months they'll be farther down the hill.  In 6 months King Conor will be even better than he is now.  Their opportunity has passed...

**** the belt! **** wrestlers! Conor should only be put in superfights with strikers like Aldo and Pettis. Let Frankie and Mendes hump each other all they want.

• Like 1

**** the belt! **** wrestlers! Conor should only be put in superfights with strikers like Aldo and Pettis. Let Frankie and Mendes hump each other all they want.

After he bodies Aldo and Frankie he will probably move up and you will see him body people like Pettis

• Like 1

That retarded Irish can got dominated by a wrestler half his size on a 2 week training camp until he gassed. Canor fans are ****ing retarded if they think he would beat a full camp chad or any other wrestler with a full camp.

• Like 2

That retarded Irish can got dominated by a wrestler half his size on a 2 week training camp until he gassed. Canor fans are ****ing retarded if they think he would beat a full camp chad or any other wrestler with a full camp.

54158674.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats you're retarded.

Mcgregor won get over it. All this and that bull****. 

The two walked into the Octagon and only one walked out with the strap and the win.

Mcgregor is the champion until Aldo decides his Vagina is ok and fights to unify the belts.

• Like 1