Sign in to follow this  
freddievanhalen3

MMA/UFC

I started doing taekwondo and karate when i was about 4 years old, and of course watched every kung fu/ ninja movie i could.

Remember seeing ufc 1 in the local video shop in about 93 - 94 and being hooked straight away by the idea of style vs style. Seeing this skinny Brazillian just own people from mount opened my eyes.

• Like 6

I started doing taekwondo and karate when i was about 4 years old, and of course watched every kung fu/ ninja movie i could.

Remember seeing ufc 1 in the local video shop in about 93 - 94 and being hooked straight away by the idea of style vs style. Seeing this skinny Brazillian just own people from mount opened my eyes.

Id imagine

• Like 2

Id imagine

Funny thing is re watching it now i just cringe so hard at how dirty it was back then and how far its progressed in 20 years.

Can still remember seeing Keith Hackney destroy Joe Sons testicles and Gary Goodridge giving some random brain damage from crucifix like it was yesterday lol

• Like 7

Funny thing is re watching it now i just cringe so hard at how dirty it was back then and how far its progressed in 20 years.

Can still remember seeing Keith Hackney destroy Joe Sons testicles and Gary Goodridge giving some random brain damage from crucifix like it was yesterday lol

Uhhg yea it used to be rough I dont even like watching the old fights all that much

• Like 1

Same. I lived in a duplex with another kid downstairs that was my age. His mom was one of those VCR moms. But she definitely rented us UFC 1, and my mind was blown on the spot. 

• Like 2

Same. I lived in a duplex with another kid downstairs that was my age. His mom was one of those VCR moms. But she definitely rented us UFC 1, and my mind was blown on the spot. 

I had something similar but it was UFC 3

I had something similar but it was UFC 3

I distinctly remember Royce, and that fat ****er who got his teeth kicked into the crowd.

We usually broke out into random wrestling matches during boxing or wrestling ****. Not the UFC. We both sat there glued to the TV. Then we promptly taped our hands up with mittens on them and threw down afterwards. lol

• Like 4

I distinctly remember Royce, and that fat **** who got his teeth kicked into the crowd.

We usually broke out into random wrestling matches during boxing or wrestling ****. Not the UFC. We both sat there glued to the TV. Then we promptly taped our hands up with mittens on them and threw down afterwards. lol

lol sounds about right 

Ghetto boxing was GOAT.

yea it was lol i remember one time my friend got knocked out because one of my other friends socks fell off his hand and he hit him bare knuckle.. it was crazy 

• Like 2

Me and the homies used to reverse wrap our hands in tape then dip our fists in shards of glass

Then we'd throw down in a ring circled with flames

I hear they made a movie about it

Edited by H.N.I.C.
  • Like 8

Me and the homies used to reverse wrap our hands in tape then dip our fists in shards of glass

Then we'd throw down in a ring circled with flames

I hear they made a movie about it

lol whaaa 

dat crucifix.. MMA peaked at that point, all down hill from there.. 

• Like 1

Hired a video cassette from the cheap section of the video store. Ya know, hire two premium titles and get two shady titles for free.

I guess it was roughly 2001-2002. It was a Rickson Gracie documentary called Choke. I'd never seen anything like it. I watched, rewatched and better watched it.

Before then I'd never had any interest in watching any sport at all. I still don't to this day, MMA is the only sport I have any interest in whatsoever.

Edit: Here's the documentary that started it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvzJO-6ESc

Edited by Denizen

I was invited to compete at UFC 2, the tape they sent me of UFC 1 made it look like an amateur organization and I turned down the offer. A few years later an Australian prodigy by the name of Elvis Sinosic started making waves in the fight scene and I decided to tune in 

• Like 2

I was always a fan of combat sports, boxing, kickboxing, full contact karate, but I knew nothing about submission grappling. I watched UFC 1 on pay per view, and was very impressed by the grappling aspect of the competition, especially Gracie.

• Like 1

me and my friend did pretty much the same but we taped a bunch of socks to our hands

When we were little kids, we used to take socks and stuff T shirts into them When you got mad, you could move the padding and land bare knuckle punches!

• Like 1

Pancrase with Bas Rutten

Freefight gala`s in the Netherlands with **** Vrij, Gilbert Yvel etc.

Kick Boxing (K1 world GP`s)  with Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts 

my love for Bruce Lee movies

late nights at friends houses watching old school illegal VHS movies wasted with Cage / Free fights 

at one point MMA took over from kickboxing when i fell in love with PrideFC 

been watching UFC events on a regular base since a friend of mine ordered all VHS tapes from the US and watched them at his house. was around 1999 when Rutten came in the UFC to fight Randleman @ UFC 20 or so.. \

edit: **** is a regular name in the Netherlands ! **** **** **** swear filter ! 

suck my **** swear filter! 

Edited by Fred_Flink_Stoned
  • Like 3

Always been into boxing as a young lad, went to Kostya Tszyu's title fight at Eithad Stadium in 03 as a teenager with some friends. Started watching K1 at around the same time when there was no boxing to watch and still remember watching Cro Cop put an almighty beat down on Sapp and never enjoyed boxing as much because it lacked the freakshow anything can happen aspect to K1. 

Stumbled across the UFC from K1 the same way it sounds like a lot of you guys have, VHS at the local video shop. Really got into watching Liddell, Sylvia (no shame), Arlovski & Couture around the late 30's early 40 UFC events. Damn those were some good times when Liddell and Arlovski were on top. Honestly a dream come true to be seeing Arlovski at 195 in the flesh as lame as it may sound, but he was a big reason I got into MMA so hard early on!

• Like 2

My dad brought home this weird box from the rental store you hooked up to your TV for watching PPVs. It was either UFC 1 or UFC 2. I don't remember. (Side note. have you ever noticed how UFC 1 only had a 86,000 buyrate but everybody and their mom has been watching MMA since UFC 1) Yes I realize the irony of saying that. After that I stopped watching until Chuck/Tito 1. Then started watching regularly after watching the TUF 1 finale with my dad.

Edited by TUF
  • Like 2

Remember that **** like it was yesterday

The first elbow rolled his eyes into the back of his head and by time the second one landed he was out but he still managed to land 6 more before the ref could stop it.

I remember it was the only fight they didn't show a replay of

• Like 4

I honestly cannot remember the first time i watched MMA.   i cannot remember the first time i watched UFC

drugs will do that to ya kids :P

• Like 2

Flicking through TV when i was around 12 or 13 and it was GSP fighting

Just the fact it was two people 'cage fighting' made me keep watching

It was better in those days though

UFC is cabbage now

• Like 4

Flicking through TV when i was around 12 or 13 and it was GSP fighting

Just the fact it was two people 'cage fighting' made me keep watching

It was better in those days though

UFC is cabbage now

lol m8 you're only 11 years old

• Like 3

i didnt watch the first view events until recently on youtube.    the excitement that must have surrounded them i can only imagine.   

• Like 1

008FSM_Taylor_Wily_003.jpg

I distinctly remember Royce, and that fat **** who got his teeth kicked into the crowd.

he is a fat **** actor now and appeared on the film forgetting Sarah Marshall

Edited by Rastajambo

Im curious what got you into watching UFC or MMA?? 

I got into watching MMA because boxing was boring and MMA is more multi-dimensional so you won't know where the fight can end up sometimes.  Boxing was still boring if you take into account all of Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s fights.

Edited by NFL_FTW

I started boxing when I was in middle school, which got me into watching boxing, which then got me into watching mma. Spike TV really got me into it in the beginning. I loved watching the first TUF, and all the WEC fights, and random UFC fights they would show. Then I went back and watched all the old UFC's and some PRIDES until I got caught up. I was hooked.

I honestly cannot remember the first time i watched MMA.   i cannot remember the first time i watched UFC

drugs will do that to ya kids :P

Then how can I remember??

Edited by freddievanhalen3
  • Like 2

My dad brought home this weird box from the rental store you hooked up to your TV for watching PPVs. It was either UFC 1 or UFC 2. I don't remember. (Side note. have you ever noticed how UFC 1 only had a 86,000 buyrate but everybody and their mom has been watching MMA since UFC 1) Yes I realize the irony of saying that. After that I stopped watching until Chuck/Tito 1. Then started watching regularly after watching the TUF 1 finale with my dad.

Yup, noticed this too. 

Strange that folks who are only 18-20 years old watched UFC 1 live. I called some fool out on it at a former work place. He was talking crap in the canteen about how he started MMA when he watched UFC 1 live, therefore (he claimed) he was a pioneer of MMA.

He at least had the decency to blush when I pointed out that UFC 1 aired the year before he was born.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 1

ahh I guess your right 

if you can still remember when you get to my age doing drugs, then hats off brah :)

• Like 2

lol :(

why the sad face, i can now happily not remember a lot of dumb **** i did in my youth so it aint all bad :P

• Like 2

I still remember the first event I actually paid for UFC 47... still one of my favorite cards

Of course it is brah

The Diaz/Lawler fight will go down in history as one of the greatest EVER

• Like 2

The Diaz/Lawler fight will go down in history as one of the greatest EVER

This is one of my all-time favourites for sure.

Nick brings something to the cage that no other fighter ever has. Some have tried to emulate him but it just comes off as fake.

When they came up with the line "As Real As It Gets" they were talking about Nick Diaz.