13. Taipei

14. Montreal

15. Barcelona

16. Chicago

17. Los Angeles

18. London

19. Washington D.C

20. Frankfurt

One of the factors that always plays on a traveller’s mind when visiting a new city is how safe it is. A recent survey by The Economist might be able to answer those questions for you. According to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Safe Cities Index 2015, Tokyo is the safest city in the world. This despite the fact that the city of 38 million people is said to be the most populated on the planet.

The survey ranked 50 cities across the world in four categories: digital security, health security, infrastructure safety and personal safety. The Safe Cities Index is based on more than 40 quantitative and qualitative factors.

Coming back to the list, Tokyo tops the list in the digital security category. The Japanese capital also ranks in the top five for personal safety and infrastructure safety, despite being prone to earthquakes.

Tokyo is followed by Singapore, Osaka, Stockholm and Amsterdam in the list of Top 50 cities. The cities rounding off the bottom five in the list are Riyadh in the 46th position is followed by Johannesburg, Ho Chi Minh City, Tehran and Jakarta. The top half of the Index is occupied by cities from well-developed economies like those of Europe, Asia and North America. Cities from emerging markets and developing economies like Brazil, India, Russia, China and South Africa feature in the lower half of the Index.

Indian cities didn’t do too well in the Index. Overall, Delhi ranked as the 42nd safest city in the world and Mumbai came in at 44th. The cities performed slightly better in individual categories but it was still nothing spectacular.

In the digital security category, Mumbai ranked 20th thanks to initiatives like the Mumbai Cyber Lab, a public-private partnership designed to train the city’s police officers to investigate cybercrimes. Delhi came in at 24. When it came to health security, the results aren’t great – Delhi was ranked 42nd while Mumbai came at the bottom of the list, in the 50th position. The story is similar for infrastructure safety (Delhi at 46; Mumbai at 47).

Surprisingly both Mumbai and Delhi did relatively well in the personal safety category. Mumbai was ranked 20th and Delhi 22nd. This is despite the spate of sexual crimes being perpetuated in both cities.

There’s something worth keeping in mind when going through the Index – it focuses on these cities based on factors like availability of data and regional representation, so it shouldn’t be considered a watertight list of the safest cities on Earth.

Yes I have lived on both those places and they are both pretty safe places.

I have only been through DC 2 or 3 times and I am really just going by the fact it used to have one of the highest homicide rates in the country. I believe it was Murder City one year wasn't it? Before they brought in the gun ban. 

cool.  they do state the list isnt water tight, like any list, but interesting to hear what someone that lived in these places has experienced too

DC was the murder capital of the world in the 90's so this list could be accurate in today's times maybe?

Yes I have lived on both those places and they are both pretty safe places.

I have only been through DC 2 or 3 times and I am really just going by the fact it used to have one of the highest homicide rates in the country. I believe it was Murder City one year wasn't it? Before they brought in the gun ban. 

That one surprised me as well. 

I passed through DC once before back in the day. The contrast was crazy coming in. I passed down this street and it's all ghetto graffiti all over the walls, liquor store, gun store, loan store, chicken joint then you go over this little bridge and it's fancy CNN building, museums and ritzy hotels, statues everywhere basically looking like the description of heaven in the bible. 

I passed through DC once before back in the day. The contrast was crazy coming in. I passed down this street and it's all ghetto graffiti all over the walls, liquor store, gun store, loan store, chicken joint then you go over this little bridge and it's fancy CNN building, museums and ritzy hotels, statues everywhere basically looking like the description of heaven in the bible. 

I honestly felt the same way as when you get off the bridge on the Oakland side and start driving around. No good places to stop. 

You nailed that description. I've been there, outside of downtown it's a total **** box.

Sydney & Melbourne are not what I'd call safe cities from an Australian perspective. I've been in some pretty dangerous scenarios in both through no fault of my own, had a gun pulled on me and a mate by African wanna be homeboys in Melbourne and had a mate get king hit by a roided rugby maniac in Sydney.. If they had to list Aussie cities it would be Perth & Adelaide.

Sydney & Melbourne are not what I'd call safe cities from an Australian perspective. I've been in some pretty dangerous scenarios in both through no fault of my own, had a gun pulled on me and a mate by African wanna be homeboys in Melbourne and had a mate get king hit by a roided rugby maniac in Sydney.. If they had to list Aussie cities it would be Perth & Adelaide.

Perth is sketchy mate. I have cousins over there and one of them got stabbed with a syringe at a Maccas drivethrough. Long wait for AIDS tests

Perth is sketchy mate. I have cousins over there and one of them got stabbed with a syringe at a Maccas drivethrough. Long wait for AIDS tests

Jesus where was that? I've always felt pretty safe in Perth but I've always been there with mates who were cashed up miners, I know the gap between FIFO and non FIFO workers creates a lot of tension as those pricks make ten grand + a month and flash it everywhere which drives the prices up for the poor bastards making 1/5 of that. Freo is cool but anywhere north of Perth gets a bit suss..

Jesus where was that? I've always felt pretty safe in Perth but I've always been there with mates who were cashed up miners, I know the gap between FIFO and non FIFO workers creates a lot of tension as those pricks make ten grand + a month and flash it everywhere which drives the prices up for the poor bastards making 1/5 of that. Freo is cool but anywhere north of Perth gets a bit suss..

I think it was midlands from memory. He was an apprentice stone mason at the time, young aboriginal girl asked him for a smoke while he was sitting in the car with his arm out the window, he said no and she stabbed him in the hand and ran off. Definitely problems with the cashed up minors getting pissed as well

Don't think i've ever felt less safe then walking around downtown San Francisco, absolutely no way it's even top 100. But feel free to test for yourself, preferably after 8p.m.

I wouldn't feel safe either with Shields on the loose ready to play grab **** at any moment and then there's that off chance you might run into GSP and have to grab some Canadian Comb. 

I wouldn't feel safe either with Shields on the loose ready to play grab **** at any moment and then there's that off chance you might run into GSP and have to grab some Canadian Comb. 

That would be terrifying those two have cardio for days, I couldn't even flee on a bike.

no that was back when chicago was ran by organized crime

now its ran by a bunch of dumb black people who will shoot or rob you for 5 dollars worth of crack

well maybe if the went back to organised crime then they could get themselves back up the rankings on the other list

no that was back when chicago was ran by organized crime

now its ran by a bunch of dumb black people who will shoot or rob you for 5 dollars worth of crack

lol, posts like these and I'm the one called a racist for making fun of white people.

This list is so bad. D.C. is a **** hole, Los Angeles is riddled with gangs, New York lol. Give me a break. To say a city in Idaho or Montana isn't safer than la or dc is a joke.

Those cities probably don't have a high enough population to be considered. 

New York and L.A. are strange choices. Thought they would be more likely to be in the 20 most dangerous US.

Bijlmer in Amsterdam in pretty rough. Didn't think Amsterdam would make the list as even though weed's legal they have big problems with a lot of other drugs. Every guy in an alleyway is looking for there dog called "Charlie" haha

I haven't been so can't be 100% positive, but surely Hobart can't be too dangerous?? Or maybe not classified as a city haha

Always felt Brisbane would be safer than Melbourne personally, haven't spent enough time in sydney to judge. Adelaide also seemed pretty chilled.  

Archived