Breaking: Benson Henderson announces move to Bellator MMA

xFINISHxHIMx

Henderson wrote about ‘The Move’ on his official blog.

“I’d like to officially announce my move over to Bellator MMA.
I’m beyond excited for this next phase of my career, it’s a big move, like any move when switching employers or jobs after having worked somewhere for such a long time.

I have to thank the BigMan upstairs for putting some amazing people in my life, my wife (first and foremost) and a lot of truly smart and insightful people behind the scenes who helped make the connections and negotiated this deal to bring it to fruition.

I’d be remiss to not thank Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita for the opportunities they presented me, you guys have helped me change my life for the better and to be able to provide my family with the things I didn’t have while growing up. For that I’ll always have the utmost appreciation. Thanks for all the advise you guys gave too, both business wise and personal.”

Great move by the UFC. Bendo sucks, and not only did they rid themselves of that point fighting can, but they actually managed to get Bellator to waste way more than they should have on the acquisition.

I can't wait for the UFC to cut Bendo after they inevitably buy Fogletor as well.

Great move by the UFC. Bendo sucks, and not only did they rid themselves of that point fighting can, but they actually managed to get Bellator to waste way more than they should have on the acquisition.

I can't wait for the UFC to cut Bendo after they inevitably buy Fogletor as well.

But I love watching Benson jab people on the knee!

This was put up before and removed. I'm assuming because it was stated as a fact and may not be confirmed, but a few sources are reporting it now. I can't see the UFC letting one of their most active fighters go easily..

Thoughts?

http://www.tapology.com/forum/fighters/ben-henderson-smooth/706817-Benson_Henderson_Officially_Signs_with_Bellator

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/former-ufc-champ-benson-henderson-announces-hes-signed-with-bellator

http://www.smoothbensonhenderson.com/blog/the-move

You missed the best part

And last but not least, to who it is I think of when I think of the UFC! Everybody behind the scenes who I personally dealt with every time I reported in or had to do something. Mayra, Melissa, Dave, Chris, Nick, Tracy, Joanie, Maura, Tony, Heidi, Ryan, James, Dave, Kaia (sp.???), Burt, Rob, Rudy, Stitch, House, Mike, Susie, Dean, Donna, Feryal, Sean, Joe, Brad, Jazzmine, Candice, Michelle, Reed, sorry I can't name everyone or this list would go on for forever. There's a whole ton of people behind the scenes who make that show what it is. You guys and girls are the ones who make that show great and allow us fighters to do what it is we love!!! Much love to you all and thanks for putting up with me for so long.

To my fans, thanks for all the love and support, I'll keep giving you my all, opening up my heart and soul inside that cage. I'm excited for this next chapter and building new relationships with guys I've heard nothing but great things about like Scott Coker, Rich Chou and Mike Kogan.

#TheOnceAndFutureKing
BH

Have the UFC not got a year of matching rights before Bendo can sign anywhere else? Surely not been a free agent a year already?

Any way the UFC will now struggle to say they have the top 10 welterweights in the world because surely with Bendo and Askren out there they will always be in the mix

UFC officials have confirmed that the promotion waived its rights to match offers for Henderson’s services.

Presumably while laughing uncontrollably

Pay more money and this won't happen, simple as that

Not that the UFC could give a **** anyways, they don't care about their fighters

As much as i hate to see MMA turn into boxing, this is actually the smart play by the UFC. MVP and Will Brooks are 2 guys Bellator could build a somewhat legitimate promotion out of and Bendo is a bad match up for either one imo. Bendo goes over, wins a few split decisions, pulls a few toothpicks out his angus and retires. 

dana-white-laughing-mma.png

Bendo's about to be making more in sponsorship money than most fighters in the UFC on their paycheck alone. That stupid Reebok money is hardly even worth mentioning.

Don't be surprised when Aljamain Sterling is next.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/1/10891638/ben-henderson-says-sponsorships-were-a-very-big-deal-in-bellator

Proof of what I said here.

How much longer is left on the Reebok deal? I doubt it will continue in its current format once it's renegotiated.

Pffft... the UFC has no incentive to raise the bar on sponsorship money. It'll stay like that for years, unless Nike wants to come in and make the sport legitimate. 

The Reebok deal will single-handedly drive away fighters. Baldie wants to act like Bellator simply offered more money. I highly doubt that's the case. What I believe actually happened is that Bendo and his agent lumped in some of the sponsorship money they can make from fighting in Bellator and asked the UFC for a better paycheck. The UFC, being the cheap bastards that they are, told him no chance. 

Good move by Benson.  

He is making the smartest decision in terms of business and career.

Business

Benson isn't the champ anymore and with the McGregor show he knows he likely wont be anytime soon. So it makes sense to move to Bellator where the money is better. No worries about stupid Reebok fines.

Stepping away from the UFC and building up a win streak again will make him much more marketable and a bigger draw should he decide to eventually come back.

Career

Bendo is looking at three fights max I would say before he is the LW champ. Phil Davis has already showed what higher level UFC guys do to Bellator guys.

He could become a company/fan favourite which will help him demand more money in Bellator.

Archived