Scots Police Teach US Cops How To Avoid Gun Use

Jolldan

American police chiefs have been to Scotland to learn new techniques in how to avoid shooting violent suspects.

As numerous fatal police confrontations cause public anger across the US, officers are rethinking when, and how, they use force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qa5Wk_f7U

Former hostage negotiator with the Boston police department, Chuck Wexler, brought the team across the Atlantic in an attempt to cut the use of fatal force. 

As the two sets of police officers met, Mr Wexler described how if confronted by a suspect holding a rock an American officer would pull out his gun.

"You're going to kill someone for throwing a rock. That's what you're gonna do," said Mr Wexler.

"How would society over here think about you shooting someone with a rock? They would not accept it."

For the most part, I don't like cops. But I don't fail to use reason and logic just because I don't like something. It's this sort of sound and seasoned ability to think which makes it strikingly obvious that most of this forum would be mismatched in a debate with me. It's the smoking gun.

Here is my thinking. If someone has a weapon of any kind and stands their ground when police arrive to a call (obviously, this doesn't apply on a gun range, a meat shoot, a deer hunting camp, etc.,) then the police have the green light to shoot. No weapon, no shooting; it doesn't matter if the police are having trouble with a resisting opponent.

It's reasonable to expect someone to resist arrest.

These laws are basically in place already. I think there needs to be a lot of work done with the way police conduct themselves. There IS brutality and abuse. There is illegal conduct. There are illegal shootings.

But I don't expect a police officer to have to engage an armed assailant. It's not supposed to be a fair fight sanctioned by the athletic commission.

For the most part, I don't like cops. But I don't fail to use reason and logic just because I don't like something. It's this sort of sound and seasoned ability to think which makes it strikingly obvious that most of this forum would be mismatched in a debate with me. It's the smoking gun.

This attitude is often why I never bother to read more than a few sentences of your ****, I can't even get past this paragraph.

Lol. Cops shoot, they get yelled at. Cops use taser they get yelled at. Cops use nightstick, they get yelled at. Slapjack, they get yelled at. Choke hold, they get yelled at.

No matter what, if you're a cop society sees you as acting incorrectly. So **** 'em. If a moron is doing stupid **** with something that can be used as a deadly weapon and acting irrationally and not responding to officer commands, cops should blast them and not risk their lives. Gonna have hippies crying no matter what

Cops are on blast on san fran for shooting a thug who stabbed someone in public and wouldnt drop the knife, evem after using pepper spray and bean bag rounds.

There are protests over this.

Why? The guy wouldn't drop the knife even after numberous non-lethal interventions.

You want the cops to get stabbed by this scumbag?

Get a grip.

Cops are on blast on san fran for shooting a thug who stabbed someone in public and wouldnt drop the knife, evem after using pepper spray and bean bag rounds.

Why? The guy wouldn't drop the knife even after numberous non-lethal interventions.

Get a grip.

Because hippies.

**** hippies.

Actually, don't do that, they're filthy creatures

Lol. Cops shoot, they get yelled at. Cops use taser they get yelled at. Cops use nightstick, they get yelled at. Slapjack, they get yelled at. Choke hold, they get yelled at.

No matter what, if you're a cop society sees you as acting incorrectly. So **** 'em. If a moron is doing stupid **** with something that can be used as a deadly weapon and acting irrationally and not responding to officer commands, cops should blast them and not risk their lives. Gonna have hippies crying no matter what

Cops kill for fun. Cops kill people daily FOR NO REASON. SCUM.

Get a grip.

Many videos of cops shooting homeless, innocent people, women etc.

PIGS

Cops kill for fun. Cops kill people daily FOR NO REASON. SCUM.

Lol this is clearly not an unreasonable mass generalisation.

Police are people, people who deal with vastly more stressful days than most people.

I refuse to believe that if you rounded up every single police officer, that the majority are like this. It will be the vast, vast minority.

Don't let your personal experiences cloud the way you think.

Lol this is clearly not an unreasonable mass generalisation.

Police are people, people who deal with vastly more stressful days than most people.

I refuse to believe that if you rounded up every single police officer, that the majority are like this. It will be the vast, vast minority.

Don't let your personal experiences cloud the way you think.

They are obviously all racist ****s. I mean look at this guy who is harassing poor kids playing ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fWobWnqfkJs

****ing poetry right there.

Funny i've never really had any real bad run ins with cops before.

I did get busted with a half ounce of pot before but i was guilty whether i'd agree it should be legal or not i was breaking the law and the cop had a rookie with him and said he couldn't let it slide.

Another time i flicked a blunt at a cop on accident. I was at a party smoking outside and someone said 5.0 so i looked around didn't see anyone and i flicked the blunt and as soon as it left my hand i see this cop walk out from behind this van we were standing by. It was like slo-mo as i watched the blunt clip his shoulder. NOOOOOOO!!!! lol

He was like "Who the **** threw that? Somebody is about to get slammed". I owned up to it and said i threw it but i was just trying to get rid of it so i didn't get in trouble and i didn't see him coming but my friends warned me so i just flicked it and you popped out as i did. He then cooled down and told me he's been my age before, been there done that speech and he doesn't want to see anyone get in trouble so he's gonna let me go but someone called the cops and we can't smoke in the street so if i have to come back i'm taking all of you to jail. I told him thanks and then he just bounced. Coolest cop ever. 

Another time me a 3 buddies of mine got stopped these two cops thought we were in a gang because two of the knuckle heads i was with had doo rags as a fashion statement. They asked us to put our hands on the hood as they searched us and ran our names One of them was an **** and went on about how they are the biggest gang, they have the most guns and drugs etc. then as he was rambling i realized i had a roach in my wallet and tried to ditch it discreetly while they were searching the two knuckle heads but the other cop saw me & told me "Hey i told you to put my hands on the hood where i can see them and don't move. So he walked over and checked the wallet i dropped and found a roach. The **** wanted to take me in but the other cop just took it and said it's not worth the paperwork and just let us go. What they didn't see is i chucked a quarter bag behind my back in the grass behind me about ten feet away. lol

I've had cops show up to places i was at and search me at least a dozen or so times. Had nothing on me then and didn't care and nothing happened.  

It's not that hard. Just don't give them a reason to go HAM. Be respectful, cooperative and don't have an attitude. 

Being white and not dressed like a thug probably doesn't hurt either. 

American police chiefs have been to Scotland to learn new techniques in how to avoid shooting violent suspects.

As numerous fatal police confrontations cause public anger across the US, officers are rethinking when, and how, they use force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qa5Wk_f7U

Former hostage negotiator with the Boston police department, Chuck Wexler, brought the team across the Atlantic in an attempt to cut the use of fatal force. 

As the two sets of police officers met, Mr Wexler described how if confronted by a suspect holding a rock an American officer would pull out his gun.

"You're going to kill someone for throwing a rock. That's what you're gonna do," said Mr Wexler.

"How would society over here think about you shooting someone with a rock? They would not accept it."

Are guns legal in Scotland? Do people have an ill view of strong arm tactics of police in Scotland? 

Different situation in 'Murica. Americans are also pretty aggressive with a chip on their shoulder ( rightly so in some cases ) but that can escalate the psyche of both before anything ever takes place. That tension level from the jump is probably not the same in Scotland. I don't see why they'd need to go to Scotland to train. Scotland problems aren't American problems. 

That being said i do think less meathead steroid mentality, learning how to better communicate verbally using de-escalation techniques, training to work jitz and having a plan and training scenarios would help but cops here are over worked, under paid and most police forces have limited budgets for training especially in smaller hill billy towns and often there is a protect their own mentality to the point of corruption so a lot of cops know they can get away with abuse and it creates this cycle of them getting abused for their reputation and them going HAM at the slightest thing because american's only understand strongstyle force. 

Are guns legal in Scotland? Do people have an ill view of strong arm tactics of police in Scotland? 

Different situation in 'Murica. Americans are also pretty aggressive with a chip on their shoulder ( rightly so in some cases ) but that can escalate the psyche of both before anything ever takes place. That tension level from the jump is probably not the same in Scotland. I don't see why they'd need to go to Scotland to train. Scotland problems aren't American problems. 

That being said i do think less meathead steroid mentality, learning how to better communicate verbally using de-escalation techniques, training to work jitz and having a plan and training scenarios would help but cops here are over worked, under paid and most police forces have limited budgets for training especially in smaller hill billy towns and often there is a protect their own mentality to the point of corruption so a lot of cops know they can get away with abuse and it creates this cycle of them getting abused for their reputation and them going HAM at the slightest thing because american's only understand strongstyle force. 

In March 1996, there was a school shooting in a place called Dunblane.  A kid killed 16 pupils and a teacher before killing himself.  Dunblane's a really small town (probably less than 10,000), so it was utterly unprecedented.  As a result, the gun laws were changed and there hasn't really been much like that since in the whole of the UK

Dunblane is in Scotland, so I think a generation of Scots have grown up very affected by the tragedy and consequently very anti-gun.  The Scots can be very aggressive (although a lot of that is stereotyping), but it's knives and headbutts, not guns.

I do agree that it seems odd that Muricans are coming to Scotland to learn - as you say, they will be dealing with a totally different culture and mentality.

Every police officer isn't out to kill.

I used to hang out with some not so intelligent folks. Consistently in trouble with the law. There's kind of an understanding between criminals and police officers. They're just doing their job. Stable people understand that. There are instances that I don't agree with, but I feel like if I followed around anyone in any profession that involves split second decision making, at some point they're going to make a decision that I don't agree with.

As for the OP, American police aren't shooting teenagers throwing rocks at them. lol

In March 1996, there was a school shooting in a place called Dunblane.  A kid killed 16 pupils and a teacher before killing himself.  Dunblane's a really small town (probably less than 10,000), so it was utterly unprecedented.  As a result, the gun laws were changed and there hasn't really been much like that since in the whole of the UK

Dunblane is in Scotland, so I think a generation of Scots have grown up very affected by the tragedy and consequently very anti-gun.  The Scots can be very aggressive (although a lot of that is stereotyping), but it's knives and headbutts, not guns.

I do agree that it seems odd that Muricans are coming to Scotland to learn - as you say, they will be dealing with a totally different culture and mentality.

Remember it on the news like it was yesterday.  

Every police officer isn't out to kill.

I used to hang out with some not so intelligent folks. Consistently in trouble with the law. There's kind of an understanding between criminals and police officers. They're just doing their job. Stable people understand that. There are instances that I don't agree with, but I feel like if I followed around anyone in any profession that involves split second decision making, at some point they're going to make a decision that I don't agree with.

As for the OP, American police aren't shooting teenagers throwing rocks at them. lol

End of the day I know they aren't all bad. Its a lot of your own citizens that are asking theses questions now.

The next big step I think US policing is to make some changes to the way they operate. (By the way im not trying to make our police look like angels I have been pepper sprayed and leathered with their batons before it sucked lol) 

1. Try approaching some situations more calm. Again not one for all cops in the US but UK cops made the point that most of the time they try and speak normally to a suspect to keep them calm and not aggravate the situation. Where as situations in the US  can be handled differently "There's a difference of going in, straight up at this level, whereby you're ordering people, you're shouting at them. You can't go anywhere after that."
  2. The 21 foot rule and how they justify use of lethal force. Because if they don't make some changes to that the country is going to go through more and more events like the Ferguson riots.

I know what you mean I have some ex friends who went down that road and are now either in jail or on to harder drugs.

Here is my thinking. If someone has a weapon of any kind and stands their ground when police arrive to a call (obviously, this doesn't apply on a gun range, a meat shoot, a deer hunting camp, etc.,) then the police have the green light to shoot. No weapon, no shooting; it doesn't matter if the police are having trouble with a resisting opponent.

It's reasonable to expect someone to resist arrest.

These laws are basically in place already. I think there needs to be a lot of work done with the way police conduct themselves. There IS brutality and abuse. There is illegal conduct. There are illegal shootings.

But I don't expect a police officer to have to engage an armed assailant. It's not supposed to be a fair fight sanctioned by the athletic commission.

You've never been to the police academy, so you have no knowledge about policing.

Please exit the thread.

Archived