How the UFC treats fighters aiming to fight out their contract

cashfl0w

I realized a few things about the Benson Henderson move that I thought I might bounce off of you wonderful people to see how you felt about it.

Bendo made it clear early on that he was fighting out the end of his contract. Like Overeem, Mitrione, Phil Davis, etc. Similar to the all of them, the competition toward the end of Bendo's contract got much stiffer. 

Today I read that Baldie had the nerve to mention Henderson's ranking when he was justifying not matching his market price. LOL.. Are you kidding? He stepped in on short notice in Bumble****, Colorado on Valentine's Day. Without him, that event sells 58 tickets.

On top of that, he moved up a weight class (and not McGregor style, but actually fighting bigger people) after he was coming off a robbery loss to Cowboy Cerrone. Hillbilly Dan Hardy had a little hype train rolling, but has never been the same after Bendo got to him. That's really beyond the point though. Of course Bendo isn't going to be ranked very high after beating Brandon Thatch and Jorge Masvidal, who also made his debut at 170 only one fight prior.

Screen_shot_2012-02-10_at_11.25.26_PM.pn

Dana's statement couldn't have been any more see through. They tried to ensure that his ranking was as low as possible on his way out. 

It's definitely not the first time they've pulled some sketchy stuff at the end of a contract either. Josh Thomson fighting Tony Ferguson in his last UFC fight is another good example. We all knew Thomson didn't deserve that fight. Thomson had lost two straight and El Cucuy had won five straight. lol.. WTF? 

Bendo will get his proper compensation when he ends up making more in sponsorship money than he would have from the show/win/Reebok money lumped together every single time he fights. Nobody should boohoo for him. 

2s7df5v.gif

What do you think? Did Bendo get rolled? Is Frankie Edgar on a similar path? Urijah Faber? All of the above? Is Bellator about to get a hell of a lot better to watch during 2016? Did a tentpole just get replaced with a toothpick?? You tell me.

Some good points.  Fundamentally though, it's win/win/win in this instance - UFC cut someone from the roster who's best days are behind him, Bellator get a marketable champion and Bendo gets a nice little pay-rise from getting himself a truckload of extra sponsors.

The big risk is if this happens on a regular basis.  At the moment I would guess that 80-90% of the top ten ranked fighters in each weight-class are in the UFC.  If that shifts towards the 50/50 mark then the UFC loses a lot of its allure.  Can't help thinking that the UFC is looking a little short-term overall here.

I'd actually welcome Bellator being reasonably competitive so that you have more opportunities for decent fighters to fight.

I wouldn't put anything past the UFC. And I've always criticized their treatment of all but the top fighters. Sabotaging their own fighters to save a few bucks sounds like something they'd do without blinking an eye. My fear now though is that, if it isn't true, you may have just given them the idea to start doing so hah.

Sounds like Bellator's lightweight champ feels like Bellator is doing similar stuff to him: https://twitter.com/illwillbrooks86/status/694710450920013824

I can't stand this guy. Andrey Koreshkov has a more impressive record, and his one loss is via Ben Askren hugathon. 

The tougher fight is Koreshkov, not Brooks, and Bendo chose that. Not to mention, Will Brooks just fought in mid-November and Koreshkov hasn't fought since July. Brooks should probably just stand aside and shut up. They're trying to get you another challenger to your title, Stupid. 155 pound contenders don't just appear out of thin air in Bellator.

Also, it's pretty hard to screw with the ranking of a champion.

Henderson leaving shows the flaw in the UFC's deal with Reebok. The UFC compares the uniforms and sponsorship money, to those of the NFL. Why? Bellator treats it more like the PGA, then NFL, which makes sense. Golf is an individual sport, like fighting. You have a team in the background, like fighting. You can go play golf with the PGA, European Tour or the Web.com tour, like fighting for Bellator, not the UFC. Everyone can have different sponsors to showcase all the equipment offered in the golf world (clothes, clubs, etc), like fighting in Bellator, not with the UFC where you have to watch how you dress. Hopefully the UFC sees there flaw, every time they open there mouths and compare it the NFL. They would be better of comparing it to the Army, because that comparison makes sense. Lets dress the same, do what we are told with no objection, and most importantly.......get paid peanuts.

Some good points.  Fundamentally though, it's win/win/win in this instance - UFC cut someone from the roster who's best days are behind him, Bellator get a marketable champion and Bendo gets a nice little pay-rise from getting himself a truckload of extra sponsors.

The big risk is if this happens on a regular basis.  At the moment I would guess that 80-90% of the top ten ranked fighters in each weight-class are in the UFC.  If that shifts towards the 50/50 mark then the UFC loses a lot of its allure.  Can't help thinking that the UFC is looking a little short-term overall here.

I'd actually welcome Bellator being reasonably competitive so that you have more opportunities for decent fighters to fight.

Could see it going a bit like you said. 

I think it will start going the way of Bellator luring guys away from the ufc who maybe can't crack the top 5 or know there chance of a title shot is behind them.

Lets take Lightheavyweight division for example. From just the top 10 would people be surprised if this many left but in the current situation you could easily see that they could.

Evans - Continuous injuries and the fact he's a former champ means he knows he could draw a good paycheck.

OSP - Talented guy but one you get the feeling will never quite make it to the title shot.

Bader - He's always been one step from a title shot and then he gets a setback. More money and starting fresh could appeal to him.

Manuwa - The British knockout artist could well see Bellator as a jump in terms of cash and opportunity at a title.

Nogueira - Bellator know they could probably sell out of see a lot of tickets with simply the name Nogueira on the card. Even though he never reached the heights of his brother he could be another marquee signing.

Archived