Knowledgeable MMA Fans

Megasoup

I hear this thrown around a lot.

So you're knowledgeable, huh? What do you think you know? And why do you think you know it? Because you watch TV?

Now there's a couple guys on here that have competed. Those guys I would consider knowledgeable. A couple more posters have been to an MMA gym a few times. I'm going to go ahead and give them a little credit because they at least know something.

I don't know how many here have inside information, like you're a reporter or a behind the scenes guy, like an official or a ref or a cutman. I haven't heard anybody make that claim, but you never know.

Mostly though, I get the impression that you guys read stuff on the internet and watch the pay-per-views. There is nothing wrong with that. Your opinion is still valid...

...but you are not "knowledgeable."

Carry on.

I hear this thrown around a lot.

So you're knowledgeable, huh? What do you think you know? And why do you think you know it? Because you watch TV?

Now there's a couple guys on here that have competed. Those guys I would consider knowledgeable. A couple more posters have been to an MMA gym a few times. I'm going to go ahead and give them a little credit because they at least know something.

I don't know how many here have inside information, like you're a reporter or a behind the scenes guy, like an official or a ref or a cutman. I haven't heard anybody make that claim, but you never know.

Mostly though, I get the impression that you guys read stuff on the internet and watch the pay-per-views. There is nothing wrong with that. Your opinion is still valid...

...but you are not "knowledgeable."

Carry on.

I know far more than you and the cans you "know" that train UFC

Knowledge can be acquired through many avenues. Physically participating mma first hand isn't a requirement.

For instance, subscribing to the ufc magazine provides extensive knowledge and insight into the world of fighting professionally.

the bold is the corner stone of the wisest and most knowledgeable mma experts that ever lived

You really don't have to have broken anyone's arm with an armbar to know what it looks like, Soup.

I accept that everyone has an opinion. I get that people can have a pretty good sense of what's going on in a fight. I am sure that people "get" some things like that fighters have to exercise and train a variety of techniques.

I see that people even know the words. "Boxing" and "jujitsu," "takedowns" and "submissions." That's great. It means you're paying a little attention in between sips of beer and the dipping asking the waitress for more ranch dressing while watching the fights at Buffalo Wild Wings.

But some of the positions people take...and how strong their opinions are...give me a break, guys.

Stephan Hawking?

Never been to outer space.

Therefore his theories on time, space and the origins of the universe?

Not knowledgeable.

Patton didn't know **** about commanding an Army prior to WW2, because he'd never actually done it in combat. In fact, none of them did. It's a miracle we won. 

I accept that everyone has an opinion. I get that people can have a pretty good sense of what's going on in a fight. I am sure that people "get" some things like that fighters have to exercise and train a variety of techniques.

I see that people even know the words. "Boxing" and "jujitsu," "takedowns" and "submissions." That's great. It means you're paying a little attention in between sips of beer and the dipping asking the waitress for more ranch dressing while watching the fights at Buffalo Wild Wings.

But some of the positions people take...and how strong their opinions are...give me a break, guys.

Are you rustled that you had to get punched in the face to learn how to box and other people know what a straight right looks like from watching TV? Is that your angle here?

Patton didn't know **** about commanding an Army prior to WW2, because he'd never actually done it in combat. In fact, none of them did. It's a miracle we won. 

m8, it was that cigar chain smoking alcoholic bigot we had that won the war, Churchill the GOAT

Right, because leading a brigade of 1500 men is exactly the same as leading a field army of 150K men.

You gotta crawl before you can walk, bro. You could think of his field experience as, um...experience. So, eh...he was knowledgeable. He didn't watch wars on pay-per-view or talk about them on a forum.

Are you high, bro?

You gotta crawl before you can walk, bro. You could think of his field experience as, um...experience. So, eh...he was knowledgeable. He didn't watch wars on pay-per-view or talk about them on a forum.

Are you high, bro?

Negative. He had never commanded a field Army, so he had no knowledge. That's your own logic dawg, it's the same reason that Neil Degrasse Tyson knows literally nothing about space, that poser has never even been to the MOON. 

I'm in my mid 30's and i've been obsessed with martial arts since i was a kid. 

I trained boxing a lot since i was a young kid.

I trained Judo/Jiu-Jitsu occasionally when i was 12. Actually hated it at first. 

I trained Muaythai & BJJ a lot since i was 14 up til last yr. 

I watched and studied UFC fights since 93. 

I cross trained with Karate, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Judo, Kali and JKD practitioners. 

Sparred in boxing, kickboxing & BJJ regularly since i was 12 up til last yr. 

I competed in boxing, kickboxing, BJJ and MMA. All amateur and i quit competing before i was 25. I didn't compete more than a handful of times in each besides BJJ. 

I had my fair share of street fights since i was a kid up to a young adult.

Over the last 20 yrs i've read books and watched instructional videos studying everything i could get my hands on. <Mostly Muaythai, Boxing, BJJ & valetudo/MMA stuff but also some exotic things i didn't have access to like Capoeira, Silat, Filipino martial arts, 52 blocks, and some Kung Fu styles. There aren't many martial arts i haven't researched at least a little. Practically none i've never heard of. 

"Mr President, I'm afraid the Germans might use atomic energy to create a bomb of a magnitude that man has never dreamed of" said Albert Einstein. 

"Well Mr Einstein, have you ever made one of these bombs yourself?" 

"No, Mr President."

"**** off troll, you don't know **** about atomic energy."

I'm in my mid 30's and i've been obsessed with martial arts since i was a kid.

I trained boxing a lot since i was a young kid.

I trained Judo/Jiu-Jitsu occasionally when i was 12. Actually hated it at first.

I trained Muaythai & BJJ a lot since i was 14 up til last yr.

I watched and studied UFC fights since 93.

I cross trained with Karate, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do, Judo, Kali and JKD practitioners.

Sparred in boxing, kickboxing & BJJ regularly since i was 12 up til last yr.

I competed in boxing, kickboxing, BJJ and MMA. All amateur and i quit competing before i was 25. I didn't compete more than a

handful of times in each besides BJJ.

I had my fair share of street fights since i was a kid up to a young adult.

Over the last 20 yrs i've read books and watched instructional videos studying everything i could get my hands on. <Mostly Muaythai, Boxing, BJJ & valetudo/MMA stuff but also some exotic things i didn't have access to like Capoeira, Silat, Filipino martial arts, 52 blocks, and some Kung Fu styles. There aren't many martial arts i haven't researched at least a little. Practically none i've never heard of.

Jesus Christ! You win. I'm more like a tough meathead.

"Mr President, I'm afraid the Germans might use atomic energy to create a bomb of a magnitude that man has never dreamed of" said Albert Einstein.

"Well Mr Einstein, have you ever made one of these bombs yourself?"

"No, Mr President."

"**** off troll, you don't know **** about atomic energy."

Okay, fine. You get to be knowledgeable, too. It seems you really want it.

Okay, fine. You get to be knowledgeable, too. It seems you really want it.

I really just want you to gain some knowledge about the definition of knowledge.

knowl·edge

ˈnäləj/

noun

facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

I thought this was a troll thread at first, but I think you might actually be serious. Always hard to tell if you believe your own inane ramblings.

I really just want you to gain some knowledge about the definition of knowledge.

knowl·edge

ˈnäləj/

noun

facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Is watching television and screwing around on the forums now considered education?

Is watching television and screwing around on the forums now considered education?

Yes, watching a sport and discussing it with other enthusiasts is, in fact, educating you about said sport. 

By your flawed logic, it is impossible to learn something by reading as well. 

Jesus Christ! You win. I'm more like a tough meathead.

lol that's pretty much what i was when i decided to quit competing at 25 but i've always been more analytical than bullish.

Since then it's just kinda been a hobby to study all martial arts and i trained in boxing, thaiboxing & BJJ a few times a week.   

I forgot i also did some wrestling in school but i hated it. I quit after a year. Recently in the last few yrs i've been researching it more along with Judo. I always kind sucked at wrestling and judo but i had a killer power double and good gracie style inside/outside bodylock trips and a decent uchi mata and high single leg. 

lol that's pretty much what i was when i decided to quit competing at 25 but i've always been more analytical than bullish.

Since then it's just kinda been a hobby to study all martial arts and i trained in boxing, thaiboxing & BJJ a few times a week.   

I forgot i also did some wrestling in school but i hated it. I quit after a year. Recently in the last few yrs i've been researching it more along with Judo. I always kind sucked at wrestling and judo but i had a killer power double and good gracie style inside/outside bodylock trips and a decent uchi mata and high single leg. 

When I found the right gym I got addicted to it, it's when my ears started turning to garbage that I started to slack. :P

I could take a beating fairly well, but I wasn't man enough for those ears!

Truth. 

You can know of a position or technique but honestly you have to FEEL it to have some real knowledge about it. 

You are confusing knowledge with experience. They are not the same thing. Experience certainly helps you gain knowledge, but one is not dependent on the other.

For example, I drive cars all the time. I have a lot of experience with automobiles, but I don't have any knowledge about them.

You are confusing knowledge with experience. They are not the same thing. Experience certainly helps you gain knowledge, but one is not dependent on the other.

For example, I drive cars all the time. I have a lot of experience with automobiles, but I don't have any knowledge about them.

The reference i'm trying to explain would be more a kin to MMA fans that haven't trained thinking like this....

I watch Nascar therefore i have knowledge of those technical details and know what it feels like to be a Nascar driver. 

The point is you DON'T unless you've actually experienced it. 

Understanding the name of something is only superficial knowledge at best. Understanding principles of why or how something works or doesn't is still only sort of half knowledge without experience enough to actually develop skill at which is the only way you'll have a full understanding of it. 

That's because you're a girl

The reference i'm trying to explain would be more a kin to MMA fans that haven't trained thinking like this....

I watch Nascar therefore i have knowledge of those technical details and know what it feels like to be a Nascar driver. 

The point is you DON'T unless you've actually experienced it. 

Understanding the name of something is only superficial knowledge at best. Understanding principles of why or how something works or doesn't is still only sort of half knowledge without experience enough to actually develop skill at which is the only way you'll have a full understanding of it. 

You don't have to have technical experience with something to be knowledgeable about it.  Nor is anyone saying they know what it feels like to be a "Nascar" driver. No one in here, including you, knows what it's like to fight in the UFC. 

Refer back to the definition of knowledge. 

When I found the right gym I got addicted to it, it's when my ears started turning to garbage that I started to slack. :P

I could take a beating fairly well, but I wasn't man enough for those ears!

I luckily never got the cali ear. I didn't get hit a lot in the ears and my grappling was always pretty open flowing or close but methodical till i had opportunity to open up. Not much of a constant grinding ear rubber. 

My ear trauma is from listening to loud music with head phones. I lost some hearing in my right ear. If i had to put a % on it i lost about 10-20 % of what it used to be. My dominant Left maybe like 5% lost. 

I luckily never got the cali ear. I didn't get hit a lot in the ears and my grappling was always pretty open flowing or close but methodical till i had opportunity to open up. Not much of a constant grinding ear rubber. 

My ear trauma is from listening to loud music with head phones. I lost some hearing in my right ear. If i had to put a % on it i lost about 10-20 % of what it used to be. My dominant Left maybe like 5% lost. 

We trained fairly hard with grappling, and a couple of guys would use head stubble grinding as a technique. I'll never forget the first time I noticed it in the mirror, I was ****ing mortified, lol. I showed up with head gear and was the butt of every joke in the gym, so instead of being a man and just rolling with the head gear, i wussed out and started going less. I only got it mildly, and the actual swelling went down over time, because it never got compacted, but I can still feel a small amount in my ear that never went away. 

Ok 12'er here's the problem i'm getting at. 

knowl·edge
ˈnäləj/
noun

Facts, information, theory. Fine anyone can learn that from watching fights, reading books and reviewing instructionals. 

See the part where it says "Skills acquired" through "Experience". You ONLY get that through practice. 

That's the part i'm talking about. Just because you've seen an armbar a thousand times doesn't mean you have any skill at applying it on someone with any level of skill.

This isn't the matrix were your body can just connect with what you've seen or know in your mind. If it did work like that everyone would be Floyd Mayweather and Rickson times a million. 

Book smart knowledge alone isn't full knowledge especially in an athletic context which MMA is. If we are talking chess then that might be different. 

That's like saying you can't learn geography because you've never traveled before.

Are you always this stupid?

My history professor asked me what year the constitution was ratified, I said 1984. He told me I was wrong, and I said "how the **** would you know, you weren't there ****."

facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Ok 12'er here's the problem i'm getting at. 

Facts, information, theory. Fine anyone can learn that from watching fights, reading books and reviewing instructionals. 

See the part where it says "Skills acquired" through "Experience". You ONLY get that through practice. 

That's the part i'm talking about. Just because you've seen an armbar a thousand times doesn't mean you have any skill at applying it on someone with any level of skill.

This isn't the matrix were your body can just connect with what you've seen or know in your mind. If it did work like that everyone would be Floyd Mayweather and Rickson times a million. 

Book smart knowledge alone isn't full knowledge especially in an athletic context which MMA is. If we are talking chess then that might be different. 

That's not the crux of the argument, the OP states that if you haven't trained then you have "no knowledge." 

He even went as far as to say "Those guys I would consider knowledgeable. A couple more posters have been to an MMA gym a few times. I'm going to go ahead and give them a little credit because they at least know something."

Well, I trained boxing for a year, and I learned some grappling in the Army. I can say for a fact that I am more knowledgeable from my decade of watching the sport than I am from that limited experience. 

Hell, Megasoup even stated that members of the media have more knowledge than hardcore fans. So apparently you can have knowledge of the sport, but only if you meet a criteria that he knows no one here matches.

So basically the entire thesis of Megasoups thread was that "he" knows more about MMA than everyone else because he has a losing amateur record from a decade ago.

The entire thread is idiotic, and merely an excuse for Megasoup to condescend to people. 

Archived