This week's word is: Recalcitrant

Bubba_Sparks

This is  The Bubba_Sparks word of the day thread (in association with 12er and other members of the grammar police).

Today's word: Recalcitrant

The standard of English on this forum is somewhat variable and the vocabulary is at times narrow.

This thread aims to address both those issues.

There will be a word of the day.  Anyone using that word correctly will receive ONE FREE LIKE from myself and any other benign members of the grammar police.

1. recalcitrant
    rɪˈkalsɪtr(ə)nt/
    adjective

1. 1.
      having an obstinately uncooperative attitude towards authority or discipline.
      "Most people in the prediction tournament act like a class of recalcitrant fifteen-year-olds"

Please feel free to suggest future words of the day.  Thank you for your participation.

Previous words: Proleteriat, plethora, serendipitous, quixotic, mercurial, malcontent, melifluous, expunge, misanthrope, erudite, garrulous, ubiquitous, halcyon, abscond, scurrilous, melancholy

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.  That is an awesome start Eclipse; such a shame the grammar police has already met the ginger diversity quota or you would make a phenomenal addition.

Plethora will definitely be a future word of the day.

Can't wait to see plethora added to the forum lexicon. 

BTW, I found an excuse to use the word fora today in one of my online classes.

Nice!!  I'm gonna find a random comment of yours and like it in lieu of being able to like your use in your online class.

None of them would be random, because they'd be well earned, but you may want to check the CM punk thread. I was killing it in there today.

None of them would be random, because they'd be well earned, but you may want to check the CM punk thread. I was killing it in there today.

I think i liked a suitable post; it was unliked by anyone else.

Just heading over to the Punk thread, have been saving it for myself as a kind of treat.

Noice thread. Admittedly my grammar could use some work but my vocabulary has always been very stronk. I like using obscure words not to sound smart but it helps me to convey a message with less filler which is right up my alley because i'm pretty blunt and to the point when i talk to people. The so called big words helps me define things better in less words so i like using them. 

Only problem is with uneducated fools they think i'm using big words to try to sound smart. So then i have to tell them i am smart but that's not the reason i use them. I have no desire to project intelligence or think i'm above anyone. I use descriptive words so i don't have to explain chit as much like i'm talking to a child you preposterous jankity minded nincompoop.  :P

My favorite word, lately, has been prolix. As in, "that foglet IDYB's posts are too prolix. I'm not reading that pile of ****!"

you just arent capable of competehending a plethora of words inside of a paragraph or two.  a simple minded simpleton such as yourself need things simplified in order for it to make sense in their simple little minds

I love words. I enjoy the etymology of words. I have a curious mind. But with the presence of love comes the possibility of hatred.

I love words like plethora because it's pretty. I love the beautiful way a mouth shapes the word and how it rolls off the tongue. It's lovely because it suggests abundance and variety. It's a wonderful substitute for a "whole lot" or a "****load."

I love quixotic because that is often my approach to life, to some of these idiotic journeys I've taken. And it was a wonderful book with it's own place in history.

But I hate words like proletariat because it's stupid. It doesn't roll off the tongue. It's redundant and pretentious. There are many other much more appropriate and better words to describe working class. Hardly any one of the proletariat knows what it means anyway. One will use the word knowing that the listener will have to ask what it means, it's ridiculous. The word was brought back into use by a rich kid who wasn't good at anything and never worked a day in his life so invented a ridiculous economic theory that has never worked, never will work and could never work.

Prolix is another ultra pretentious word used by Jackoffs and pseudointellectuals. Even it's meaning is condescending and implies that the speaker is a judgmental jerk. Hell, 12er uses it and even his reasoning for his usage sounds like he's a ****head.

I love words. I enjoy the etymology of words. I have a curious mind. But with the presence of love comes the possibility of hatred.

I love words like plethora because it's pretty. I love the beautiful way a mouth shapes the word and how it rolls off the tongue. It's lovely because it suggests abundance and variety. It's a wonderful substitute for a "whole lot" or a "****load."

I love quixotic because that is often my approach to life, to some of these idiotic journeys I've taken. And it was a wonderful book with it's own place in history.

But I hate words like proletariat because it's stupid. It doesn't roll off the tongue. It's redundant and pretentious. There are many other much more appropriate and better words to describe working class. Hardly any one of the proletariat knows what it means anyway. One will use the word knowing that the listener will have to ask what it means, it's ridiculous. The word was brought back into use by a rich kid who wasn't good at anything and never worked a day in his life so invented a ridiculous economic theory that has never worked, never will work and could never work.

Prolix is another ultra pretentious word used by Jackoffs and pseudointellectuals. Even it's meaning is condescending and implies that the speaker is a judgmental jerk. Hell, 12er uses it and even his reasoning for his usage sounds like he's a ****head.

ZIgFxmK.jpg

P.S your prose is too prolix. No one is going to read that ****, especially when they see that you are the one who wrote it.

Soup, Soup, Soup. Give us some more beautiful words that may be future word of the day candidates. What's your view on serendipity? That's currently shortlisted.

It's a beautiful word. It sounds nice, it IS nice and most people don't know what it means and would be pleased when they find out.

A word like prolix is used to insult, which is why 12er is so pleased with it. I feel badly for anyone whose life is connected to that incessant jerk.

It's a beautiful word. It sounds nice, it IS nice and most people don't know what it means and would be pleased when they find out.

A word like prolix is used to insult, which is why 12er is so pleased with it. I feel badly for anyone whose life is connected to that incessant jerk.

Soup, am I an incessant jerk?

Megasoup logic: the inane idea that the guy who rips you in a thread you made to condescend to 95% of the community is the one being unreasonable.

You need to go back to the free clinic and tell them to get your meds right. 

Megasoup logic: the inane idea that the guy who rips you in a thread you made to condescend to 95% of the community is the one being unreasonable.

You need to go back to the free clinic and tell them to get your meds right.

You REALLY don't like it when someone calls you out on your bull-****, do you? You might have other people going, but I see you as a chump and a liar and little else.

Archived