What in the ****!? RIP Dave Mirra

WarWest®

LoL I gave up on it because I sucked at it

I gave up on all that X stuff before even trying really. 

Saw a kid jump a ramp we made and land on his shoulder break his collarbone which was protruding though his skin. 

Two of my friends broke their wrist, another broke his ankle, and they regularly took back breaking falls skate boarding. They were small tough SOB's and got good at falling but FFS i wanted no part of that. 

I knew a kid that got killed bike racing at a dirt canyon trail. He came over a hill too fast wiped out and fell on a big branch which punctured his heart. 

1334959588824_4122973.png

lulz. I don't believe in it either but it's still kinda fascinating to me because i am so curious by nature.

I wouldn't say i'm bi-polar. I don't really have big ups and downs but i am definitely of two minds intellectually which are in conflict all the time. 

for instance these are all true of me...

5f77408b23ea8fee11427986f32374c3.jpg

863236011fd3d5b1dcf684a46e447101.jpg

857f90244489e09ff1eda162fe169ec2.jpg

d3319640acc69931155a2fcd6ca998b3.jpg

tumblr_n7t8668VaF1r3vcx5o1_500.png

His family should look into having his brain examined (not sure if he shot himself in the head). I imagine he had countless concussions in falls during his career. There is a definite possibility that he was suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Might explain why he did it if he hadn't seemed to be depressed recently.

I have a 2000 model Mirra Haro 540 air that's still in my mother's storage building.  I wasn't bad but once I could drive a car I was no longer risking my ankles, knees and brain.

Dave likely had CTE.  Just like with football players a helmet will only protect your brain so many times.  He was the best but like Hoffman he had some brutal crashes.  Hoffman is basically crippled now.

I have a 2000 model Mirra Haro 540 air that's still in my mother's storage building.  I wasn't bad but once I could drive a car I was no longer risking my ankles, knees and brain.

Dave likely had CTE.  Just like with football players a helmet will only protect your brain so many times.  He was the best but like Hoffman he had some brutal crashes.  Hoffman is basically crippled now.

Certainly a possibility or maybe he really was depressed

Certainly a possibility or maybe he really was depressed

As soon as he turned pro he was hit by a drunk driver.  That fractured his skull and left a blood clot that later cleared up.  In the later part of his career like 05 or 06 X Games trials during practice where they are planning out runs I believe on the street course he wiped out from like 15+ feet in the air on his head that did all kinds of damage including a lacerated liver from the bike.  

These athletes that have sustained severe head trauma wouldn't just check out on their wife and kids the way they tend to do.  It seems like when they hit that 40-45 mark that the symptoms get really bad.  You can take fighter's as an example.  We will use Gary Goodridge.  He was old school and fought 3 times a night more than once.  He fought a lot of kickboxing bouts he had no business in.  He fought Fedor when he could still take a shot and got hammered badly.  He said without the medicine that he's on now he would have taken his own life.  Even then his life is horrible.  He can't remember anything and he's always tired.  You could have a conversation with him about something and 20 minutes later you are having the same conversation.

There's not nearly as many extreme sports athletes and the oldest ones are only around 50 at best but these guys don't just take damage to the brain.  They also ruin their bodies.  Matt Hoffman has had surgery on just about every body part you can name.

As soon as he turned pro he was hit by a drunk driver.  That fractured his skull and left a blood clot that later cleared up.  In the later part of his career like 05 or 06 X Games trials during practice where they are planning out runs I believe on the street course he wiped out from like 15+ feet in the air on his head that did all kinds of damage including a lacerated liver from the bike.  

These athletes that have sustained severe head trauma wouldn't just check out on their wife and kids the way they tend to do.  It seems like when they hit that 40-45 mark that the symptoms get really bad.  You can take fighter's as an example.  We will use Gary Goodridge.  He was old school and fought 3 times a night more than once.  He fought a lot of kickboxing bouts he had no business in.  He fought Fedor when he could still take a shot and got hammered badly.  He said without the medicine that he's on now he would have taken his own life.  Even then his life is horrible.  He can't remember anything and he's always tired.  You could have a conversation with him about something and 20 minutes later you are having the same conversation.

There's not nearly as many extreme sports athletes and the oldest ones are only around 50 at best but these guys don't just take damage to the brain.  They also ruin their bodies.  Matt Hoffman has had surgery on just about every body part you can name.

Agreed

I'm actually surprised that Tony Hawk is doing as well as he is

Of course he's not doing **** like when he was younger but he still skateboards

Agreed

I'm actually surprised that Tony Hawk is doing as well as he is

Of course he's not doing **** like when he was younger but he still skateboards

I've seen some very nasty skateboard wipeouts but the skaters and skateboarders are able to bail much easier than the BMX guys.  The bike itself becomes an obstacle where the skater can just lose that board and try their best not to break their legs/ankles depending on how high up that vert ramp they were when they knew they needed to bail.  The bikers don't always know that the back tire might be clipping the top of the ramp which means you are doubling over directly on your head.  

The BMX guys always had the most brutal wipeouts.  Jay Miron was one of my favorites because he was the first man to ever pull off the 540 tail whip and it seriously took like 6 or 7 years minimum before any other rider pulled it off after him.  He was kinda in Mirra and Hoffman's shadow but he was right there in Hoffman's league which was just a step behind Mirra.  Anyway Jay Miron ALWAYS went big and more the once he was knocked out cold when it went wrong.

• 3 months later...

When I was a kid, we would hand out at our school after school's out and just play until the sun came down.  There were always these older white kids that would always make me and another buddy get on all fours and they would literally jump over us with their bikes.  Those were the days when a kid can play from sun up til sun down and not worry about being kidnapped, shot etc. 

This thread brings back youthful memories for me. 

Archived