The reality of MMA couldn't get any more clear.

najma

The truth is - length beats power. Fighter's length determines their potential.

HW - Werdum - 6'4" - one of the tallest top guys

LHW - Jones - 6'5" - the lengthiest guy, the largest reach in the UFC

MW - Rockhold - 6'3" - the lenghtiest top guy

WW - Thompson - 6'0" - one of the lenghtiest top guys

WW - Lawler - 5'10" - good height and length for the division

LW - Dos Anjos - 5'9" - *

FW - McGregor - 5'9" - tallest top guy, largest reach in the division

BW - Cruz - 5'8" - tallest top guy

WBW - Holm - 5'8" - the lengthiest top woman

WSW - Jędrzejczyk - 5'6" - one of the lenghtiest top women

*LW - guys to dethrone RDA:

- Ferguson - the lengthiest guy in the division

- Nurmagomedov - one of the tallest guys at LW

- McGregor - one of the lengthiest guys at LW

lengthy - both tall and with long limbs (large arm/leg reach)

Mad respect to Daniel Cormier, who is the shortest and least lengthy guy at LHW and among all champions. But he has and will again succumb to Jones' physical attributes. Also kudos to Johnny Hendricks for being so successful despite being the shortest and least lengthy guy at WW.

Mad respect to Daniel Cormier, who is the shortest and least lengthy guy at LHW and among all champions. But he has and will again succumb to Jones' physical attributes. Also kudos to Johnny Hendricks for being so successful despite being the shortest and least lengthy guy at WW.

Thompson's not a champ!

Holloway is taller than McGregor, not surprised he's moving up to lose to Dos Anjos instead

But has shorter arm reach than McGregor, who will have a reach advantage over anybody at FW and LW except for Ferguson, Barboza and Diaz that he is still almost equal to. He would also only have 1 inch to Wonderboy Thompson [sic!].

Ferguson, Diaz - 76"

Barboza - 75"

Thompson - 75" - WW!

McGregor - 74"

Lawler - 74" - WW!

Cerrone - 73"

Johnson - 72"

Pettis - 72"

(Holloway - 71")

Dos Anjos - 70"

Trivia:

Cormier - 72"

Nah, we're just in an era where fighters who use striking as their primary weapon are developing good enough grappling defense to employ a wide array of techniques. Reach matters a lot in striking, so we're seeing *some* strikers really using that to their advantage. However, it's not the be-all-end-all. Mike Tyson was incredibly successful despite giving up reach to almost all his opponents.

MMA is still evolving, and just like in the early days we're seeing the scales starting to balance again. In the beginning it was abundantly clear that grapplers dominated strikers - when each respective fighter trained very little outside of his primary discipline. Things began to shift when strikers began developing some takedown defense, allowing them to use their superior striking to defeat tired and frustrated grapplers.

In the era where everyone is more-or-less well rounded, striking tools have typically been limited to what works without making you easy money for a takedown. That's why we see relatively squared-stance boxing and muay thai techniques from most guys. However, dudes like Anderson Silva, Anthony Pettis, Lyoto Machida, and Steven Thompson have been able to mix in karate and TKD techniques with varying success. Sometimes it works brilliantly like Thompson over Candricks. Other times (Pettis v Dos Anjos), not so much.

Nah, we're just in an era where fighters who use striking as their primary weapon are developing good enough grappling defense

You talk nonsense.

Your body is a weapon and there is one answer to the question - Are longer limbs or shorter limbs a better weapon?

Also, long limbs help in grappling, duh.

Hunt vs Struve says your arguement is invalid.

You vs. Jędrzejczyk says women beat men. Try trolling harder.

Interesting analysis as ever Najma.

Why do you think this has only become a reality relatively recently?  It feels that not that long ago champions tended to be dour, stocky grapplers.  That's just a gut feeling btw, but this time 3 years ago our champs were Cain (stocky), Jones (long), Weidman (stocky), GSP (stocky), Bendo (stocky), Aldo, Cruz and MM.  Plus of course Rousey (stocky)

So why is Struve so **** then.

Not all tall/long fighters are skilled at using their reach to their advantage. That's why there's the term "fighting tall". Jon Jones is incredibly good at using his reach. Struve, on the other hand, has the reach but doesn't seem to know how to use it.

There's a difference between having the raw physical tools and being able to use them. That can go for things other than reach advantage. Uriah Hall has all the physical tools and then some, but just can't seem to put it all together. Brock Lesnar had all the physical tools but didn't have the mentality or the heart (or the striking training) to live up to his physical potential.

You talk nonsense.

Your body is a weapon and there is one answer to the question - Are longer limbs or shorter limbs a better weapon?

Najma

Pls

I kinda agree with the OP, The fact MMA is evolving and the fighters are so closely matched every little advantage becomes significant. Of course there will always be guys who do not live up but they can blame their skillset

It's not an advantage though. It's whoever can control distance better. Doesn't matter how long you are if the shorter fighter is better at getting inside than you are at keeping distance

It's not an advantage though. It's whoever can control distance better. Doesn't matter how long you are if the shorter fighter is better at getting inside than you are at keeping distance

My point is if the fighters are equally matched in skill set then the advantage of height/reach becomes important. MMA has evolved to the point everyone in the UFC have serious skills and fighters are more closely matched than ever

You talk nonsense.

Your body is a weapon and there is one answer to the question - Are longer limbs or shorter limbs a better weapon?

Are longer limbs a better weapon? Not always and that definitely includes grappling as well. Longer limbs can work against a fighter inside where they don't have the distance to generate as much power. 

They can work against fighters defensively in grappling if they get caught in joint locks. They can also work against fighters offensively in the sense that a smaller body is typically more mobile and can fit into spaces easier. 

There are advantages and disadvantages it's about how you use what you have not so much what you have. 

Taller fighters will always have an advantage. Afcoarse this is fact. A shorter fighter will need to bob and weave to get in to striking range and may get caught in the process as Also did. Some shorter fighters will win despite these disadvantages they may have great chins so getting caught whilst coming in to distance may not be an issue they may have great power so once they land when in distance its all over. But if 2 fighters with equal chins equal heart and equal skill fight and they both have the same luck on the night the taller fighter with the longer reach will win every time.

Taller fighters will always have an advantage. Afcoarse this is fact. A shorter fighter will need to bob and weave to get in to striking range and may get caught in the process as Also did. Some shorter fighters will win despite these disadvantages they may have great chins so getting caught whilst coming in to distance may not be an issue they may have great power so once they land when in distance its all over. But if 2 fighters with equal chins equal heart and equal skill fight and they both have the same luck on the night the taller fighter with the longer reach will win every time.

They have an advantage in some ways but in others not. Depends only on who can dictate their game better. Size is not totally irrelevant but it can be exploited to disadvantage. The reality is everyone isn't equal and different body types, physical and mental attributes and styles all have their strengths and weaknesses. 

There is a lot more to fights than just mental/physical attributes and skills. More important factors are having the right mental focus, very good preparation, correct strategy and the ability to adapt tactics instinctively.

If a fighter can dictate the place and pace of the fight to maximize advantages while minimizing disadvantages and they can do this with minimum effort in comparison to an opponent they have a greater chance at victory while limiting the opponent chances at survival.  

• 2 weeks later...

its all about skill and strategy. It doesnt matter how tall or short a fighter is if they have done their homework and studied their opponent closely they should be able to develop effective strategy.

Being tall may look like an automatic advantage but I have just seen to many tall fighters with crazy reach fall apart when a more skilled opponent manages to screw with the taller fighters striking range. Have seen to many tall fighters get beaten into the dirt once an opponent gets inside. A shorter opponent can easily just move faster etc.

Of course many fighters lose through intimidation to a taller fighter. Bones is wise enough to not underestimate his shorter opponents he has a well thought out realistic and mature strategy.

I once got into a street fight wit a guy nearly 6 foot 4 I was 5 foot 7 at the time. I was pretty intimidated at first but dude overloaded on everything he threw I could see it all coming a mile away. His arms were so long in order to extend them enough to hit let alone hit hard he needed all the room he could get.

He was slow. Intimidated and with my adrenaline pumping I moved fast. Dudes striking range was so long just getting near the dude cut his striking power out he just didnt have the room to throw and extend enough to hit me hard. When he did manage to hit me it was with no power at all.

He managed to cut off some of my movement as this fight happened in a hallway. He stepped in and I ended up with my back to the wall. I freaked out and let loose with my right fist into his nose as hard as I could and dropped him.

I did not hang around as a half dozen of his homeboys suddenly showed up.

When I took Tae Kwon Do in the early 90's I was one of the bigger stronger kids in the class. When we sparred I was specifically paired against far more advanced fighters to negate my size and strength advantage it was Fd up. The only time I have ever been knocked out was during a sparing session.

I had gotten ****y. I was a mere yellow belt but was beating everybody put up against me. Master Davis(the instructor)decided to teach me some humility. He put me up against a thin kid that I was still nearly twice as large as but...the skinny kid was something like a 4th degree black belt.

I got my 2 points in and it really pissed the kid off. Next thing I know the kid is on my inside so fast I could counter. Dude then scored a perfect tight close in right round house perfectly to the side of my head. I was out cold standing up. For some reason I didnt just fall over. I was out for a solid near 2 minutes swaying side to side on my feet. Dude Fd me up. We did not use protective gear dude busted the side of my head open bloodied me up good.

Master Davis then used that as an example of why range control and footwork is so important. I trained for another half year then competed for over half a year and never got beaten again.

That was like 300 years ago now it seems but the lessons learned remain. When I watch UFC fights I see still today many fighters making basic stupid mistakes. Such as getting trapped within prime striking distance where a fighter just gets broke apart by strikes thrown with perfect form and aim and dude getting hit doesnt move out of the way.

When RDA blew out Cerrone I was pretty surprised all Cerrone had to do was move the hell out of the way but instead he just froze up and let RDA get his S off.

for UFC196 I have studied the fighters closely. The only way Conor loses to RDA's non stop all out offense is if he throws the fight and takes a dive. The real fight of the night will be Tate Holm anyways.

Yes OP i have been saying this for a while now and why weight cutting/gaining should not be allowed.

This weight cheating allows the taller fighters to really cheat the weight classes.

The shorter fighter would have a more legit ability to reach the said weights without walking in the ring completely dehydrated and weak.

What would essentially happen is instead of weight,the sport would become a bunch of height divisions.I have no doubt what so ever that we would see a lot of changes in who wins and who holds the belts.I lol at the thought of the old legit GSP at 170 fighting Conor at 170,he would dry hump Conor all 5 rounds or until Conor's corner throws in the BjPenn towel.

Archived