Lawler's next title defence

Bubba_Sparks

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Robbie fight next?

2. 2. Who do you think Robbie will fight next?

3. 3. Will Robbie win his next defence?

Let's talk Robbie.

As far as I can work out, there are now about 6 possible fights the UFC could make, although some are admittedly more ludicrous than most.

The obvious one is Woodley.  He's been promised it and is the highest ranked WW who hasn't fought Lawler next.

There's a decent case for a Condit rematch; regardless of your bias, it was a fun, close fight and the UFC seem to like rematches.

Then it gets a bit more tenuous; Maia is on a 4 fight streak and hasn't lost to anyone still in the UFC at WW other than Rory.  Wonderboy is now everyone's favourite WW and after annihilating Hendrix suddenly looks like a potential contender.

The other two are even more tenuous, but after seeing a staredown betwen two fighters with a combined record of 2-0, nothing would surprise me.  So that would be the return of GSP or the madness of Conor.

I just want to see Robbie fight again.  I'm a purist so I think he should fight Woodley next.  I have a sneaky suspicion though that if Conor gets past RDA they'll make Lawler v Conor at UFC 200.  That could explain why they haven't booked a match yet..

So three simple questions, with a poll for the less verbose:-

1. Who should Robbie fight next?

2. Who do you think Robbie will fight next?

3. Do you think he'll win his next title defence?

Please try not to turn this into a Conor thread, Cole.  It's a Robbie thread :)

I really would like to watch Lawler vs Wonderboy BUT that would be unfair for Woodley.

I think Lawler vs Woodley will be announced pretty soon and Wonderboy will be facing either Maia/Brown winner or even Rory.

Lmao how? Especially considering woodley never earned his title shot in the first place. He got it by hendricks not getting to the fight. Thats almost as bad as gus pulling out of a fight and getting a title shot.

The obvious answer is let condit fill robbie up with some cream again and have wonderboy and woodley fight for a title shot so USADA woodley can get embarrassed and sent to the back of the line.

Doesnt matter who robbie fights next because his angus is gonna be leaking at the end of the night regardless

Should fight - Condit

Will probably fight - Wonderboy

Will he defend - Most likely. More durable than Fatricks

maybe add another of who should the contender fight instead - in that question I'd really like to see Maia vs Wonderboy. The two best streaks at WW and probably the best clash of styles possible. Can Maia get past the striking and smother him on the ground? How's WB's grappling defence really? Hell of an interesting fight IMO

Should fight - Condit

Will probably fight - Wonderboy

Will he defend - Most likely. More durable than Fatricks

maybe add another of who should the contender fight instead - in that question I'd really like to see Maia vs Wonderboy. The two best streaks at WW and probably the best clash of styles possible. Can Maia get past the striking and smother him on the ground? How's WB's grappling defence really? Hell of an interesting fight IMO

Interesting point here ^

I will be shocked (and happy too) if the UFC give Wonderboy a shot instead of Woodley.

Maia vs Thompson would be a very interesting matchup but Maia is booked with Matt in April and I just dont see UFC keeping Thompson inactive for that long SPECIALLY if he came out healthy against Fatdricks.

I still think Wonderboy fights either Rory or Magny/Lombard winner.

Let's talk Robbie.

As far as I can work out, there are now about 6 possible fights the UFC could make, although some are admittedly more ludicrous than most.

The obvious one is Woodley.  He's been promised it and is the highest ranked WW who hasn't fought Lawler next.

There's a decent case for a Condit rematch; regardless of your bias, it was a fun, close fight and the UFC seem to like rematches.

Then it gets a bit more tenuous; Maia is on a 4 fight streak and hasn't lost to anyone still in the UFC at WW other than Rory.  Wonderboy is now everyone's favourite WW and after annihilating Hendrix suddenly looks like a potential contender.

The other two are even more tenuous, but after seeing a staredown betwen two fighters with a combined record of 2-0, nothing would surprise me.  So that would be the return of GSP or the madness of Conor.

I just want to see Robbie fight again.  I'm a purist so I think he should fight Woodley next.  I have a sneaky suspicion though that if Conor gets past RDA they'll make Lawler v Conor at UFC 200.  That could explain why they haven't booked a match yet..

So three simple questions, with a poll for the less verbose:-

1. Who should Robbie fight next?

2. Who do you think Robbie will fight next?

3. Do you think he'll win his next title defence?

Please try not to turn this into a Conor thread, Cole.  It's a Robbie thread :)

Woodley is absolutely not the obvious choice. He's on a two fight winning streak and neither win is particularly impressive. He KO'd an Asian fighter, and then he won a pitiful split decision over Fatstellum who had super-AIDS going into the fight. That win over  Fatstellum was over a full year ago by the way. He doesn't have a single top 5 win.

Wonderboy is the obvious choice. Six fight winning streak, capped off with him KOing a top 5 guy who is also the former champion.

Lmao how? Especially considering woodley never earned his title shot in the first place. He got it by hendricks not getting to the fight. Thats almost as bad as gus pulling out of a fight and getting a title shot.

The obvious answer is let condit fill robbie up with some cream again and have wonderboy and woodley fight for a title shot so USADA woodley can get embarrassed and sent to the back of the line.

Doesnt matter who robbie fights next because his angus is gonna be leaking at the end of the night regardless

No one wants to watch Forrest Gump again dawg.

Hv2j4Fw.png

Magny will do the honors of smashing post-USADA TWood

As far as who deserves to fight Robbie it should be carlos Condit who in my opinion won their fight and he should be given a rematch. However I think WonderBra got enough impetus behind him to gain that title shot at 200. I would personally like to see the old Hendricks fight him in the Rubber match but Hendricks needs to take stock and save his career AWAY from the octagon, So that leads me to Nick Diaz, he does not deserve the shot but we have seen guys get shots for less lately so Robbie vs Diaz 2 would be huge

You better be repping Lawler over Wonderboy

I saw you hating on Junior the other day and now I am not sure where your loyalties lie 

Won't back either of them. I made that mistake with Weidman vs Rockhold. All of you Weidman haters got my Irish up and I started hating on Rockhold, I couldn't even enjoy his victory.

For Lawler vs Wonderboy, like Lawler vs Diaz 2, I'm just going to say "two GOAT's" and enjoy the scrap.

Won't back either of them. I made that mistake with Weidman vs Rockhold. All of you Weidman haters got my Irish up and I started hating on Rockhold, I couldn't even enjoy his victory.

For Lawler vs Wonderboy, like Lawler vs Diaz 2, I'm just going to say "two GOAT's" and enjoy the scrap.

lmao this nikka pulling a cole

"i like both guys"

lmfao what beta **** is that?

Arguably we have 4 fighters that could be a contender or in line for the next shot.we have woodley, wonderboy,condit and magny.

Woodley was supposed to fight hendricks but got cancelled but he has a legit reason why he's the next in line.4-1 in his past 5 fights.

Wonderboy whose only loss is to matt brown via decision.He just finished the former champ in 1 rd wherein lawler didn't do in 10rds.IMO he should get the next shot.

Magny is a little premature as of the moment but this guy is a potential fighter.i think if the rematch with condit/lawler happens,maybe condit/magny or woodley/magny would be a good match up to make.

Condit is a smart fighter coming from a camp with good gameplans.Many are criticizing his movements inside the cage when fighting a brawler but he's just a smart and technical fighter.he may get a rematch but i think he should atleast fight one more time before getting his shot.

By the way,demian maia is up in the mix actually.and if there's somebody that can neutralize wonderboy,i think maia is the guy.

Woodley is absolutely not the obvious choice. He's on a two fight winning streak and neither win is particularly impressive. He KO'd an Asian fighter, and then he won a pitiful split decision over Fatstellum who had super-AIDS going into the fight. That win over  Fatstellum was over a full year ago by the way. He doesn't have a single top 5 win.

Wonderboy is the obvious choice. Six fight winning streak, capped off with him KOing a top 5 guy who is also the former champion.

The kind of super aids that makes it impossible to lose weight?

Hard to argue against Wonderboy now. I'd love to see that fight but with the medical suspension, Woodley will probably get a crack at it.

I like Robbie but I feel his luck is going to run out soon. Been in a lot of wars.

There are a lot of ifs around that suspension though.  I think it's 6 months if the x-ray shows damage and unless subsequently cleared.  So he could be back in training in two months.

I think the UFC are keeping Robbie in their back pocket until they see what happens at UFC 197 as two of their champions are fighting that night and I guess the outcome will affect what they do with the cards over the summer.  If I was T-Wood I'd be asking for a fight with Maia to try and cement my title shot.

They are all also <<<< Jake Shields.

Whats your point?

well Shields beat Robbie and Woodley - sort of, wasn't really a fight he held on for dead life and was booed for 13 of the 15 minutes so you have a point. Never fought Rory though.

Thing is, Robbie beat Rory striking. Rory beat Woodley striking. The two fights are compatible.

Archived